Terrified Briton flees Koh Tao after 'mafia' death threat

Jonathan Fairfield

After reading through a lot of information, one things strikes me as particularly odd. The two men in the photo, both leaning over the counter, have neither been detained nor questioned in any depth, as well as their refusal to give a DNA sample. The other, more telling aspect, is that their names have not been mentioned at all. Now, on the other hand, the newspapers have written up names and ages of other people who have been questioned, DNA sampled and subsequently found to have nothing to do with the unfortunate incident.

• Like 2

I'm a sceptic too. I might be unfair to the young man but how can he work as a 'barman' for 18 months on the island?. Work permit? Sounds fishy to me. thumbsup.gif

Many western barmen on Koh Tao and other islands don't have permits, what does that have to do with his credibility as a murder witness?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think the OP is BS, he's trying to capitalize on the misfortune of others.

Look, if the local mafia would wanted him dead, so it would have been, there wouldn't have been the in depth conversations described in the OP, it's nonsense.

Maybe they want to "help" him commit suicide over his anguish for the two murders by hanging himself and need him alive to do so. Thus, trying to get him to come with them. You can't write a better Detective story that this.

• Like 1

I'm a sceptic too. I might be unfair to the young man but how can he work as a 'barman' for 18 months on the island?. Work permit? Sounds fishy to me. thumbsup.gif

Many western barmen on Koh Tao and other islands don't have permits, what does that have to do with his credibility as a murder witness?

Well, if he is sinister enough to work as barman, and if so even worse to do without work permit, he is clearly untrustworthy in this case, basically very fishy, probably guilty... let's hang him /s

• Like 1

It's safe to say, drug induced witnesses are not credible ones.

These kids are at the very least pests and poor taste hoaxer types.

At worse criminals who mislead the authorities and need to be restricted from these islands .

Drugs - moon parties and a fantasy world ( not seperated in the wake of tragic deaths and in very poor taste in a craving for fame)

Please drug test anyone in future making these social media madness claims

Enough is enough

Thais are smirking at this silliness

Can you please just &lt;deleted&gt; off back to Pluto!!

• Like 1

To all the 'experts' who have lived on the island or are still living on the island - who claim to know who the 'Big Families' are, are: Why don't you share your intimate knowledge with everyone? What are their names? Who are the crazy rich kids?

Who are the Bar owners? Who are the corrupt police?

Leave the island and tell all. If you are already in another country - tell us.

Here on this site? The press? The Thai Military? The Police?

So many people have already said that they know what goes on there because they have lived there.

But, - no one talks. Interesting. Yet you accuse the Thais of not talking.

If this is all supposed 'common knowledge', - then time to speak up!

Just druggies and misfits scum in Bangkok rotting with pet hatreds.

I am the first to be harsh on Thai authorities in their investigations

But rumours don't help ...if anything cause distractions .

The island is known for full moon functions that entail mind altering drugs.

It's not helpful here.

And though Yes most certainly powerful families exist the question begs ?

Who?

Really , someone?...,, nope ?

Just conjecture ?

And if this false lead goes no where who will be to blame?

Some smart arsed kid who sits limp wristed in a freezer ripped on drugs ?

Seriously , this is not cool.

It's pathetic that rat bags have used social media in this way and the whole criminal investigation pushed into an even bigger zero

To all the 'experts' who have lived on the island or are still living on the island - who claim to know who the 'Big Families' are, are: Why don't you share your intimate knowledge with everyone? What are their names? Who are the crazy rich kids?

So many people have already said that they know what goes on there because they have lived there.

How long have you been on this site?

TV doesn't allow the naming of names due to Thailand's ridiculous defamation laws. I thought everyone knew that. It's in the rules.

How long have you been on this site?

TV doesn't allow the naming of names due to Thailand's ridiculous defamation laws. I thought everyone knew that. It's in the rules.

Thai law has no jurisdiction as this site is not registered in Thailand.

Thai "law" doesn't touch the influential(rich) anyway. Look at the red bull heir, or worse Chalerm's son, who got off with murdering a policeman with 22 eyewitnesses.

Just druggies and misfits scum in Bangkok rotting with pet hatreds.

I am the first to be harsh on Thai authorities in their investigations

But rumours don't help ...if anything cause distractions .

The island is known for full moon functions that entail mind altering drugs.

It's not helpful here.

And though Yes most certainly powerful families exist the question begs ?

Who?

Really , someone?...,, nope ?

Just conjecture ?

And if this false lead goes no where who will be to blame?

Some smart arsed kid who sits limp wristed in a freezer ripped on drugs ?

Seriously , this is not cool.

It's pathetic that rat bags have used social media in this way and the whole criminal investigation pushed into an even bigger zero

Are you serious? Be a little objective instead of already jumping to the conclusion that this guy is untrustworthy and the whole story is BS. It's fine to be sceptic, but that is not what you are, you have already painted colored the who picture. Stop trying to play armchair investigator, you're terrible at it, and thankfully you are not a part of the investigation nor do i hope that you ever will be a part of one (even as victim or suspect).

This is the same guy who posted about the killers on his Facebook page, which are now all over Twitter.

I read the Facebook thing before it was taken out.

He was posting the pics of the guys who chased him down.

He said "If I die, - "They did it". I think he meant that they were HIS killers -

- NOT Hanna's and David's.

Fortunately that never came to fruition.

• Like 1

Story sounds B..S.. to me.

If mafia wanted him gone , he wouldn't be around to talk about it now.

Why the hell would mafia tell him in a bar what they were planning to do .. ?

He sounds like a drunken crazy to me ...whistling.gif

The story might be fishy, but....

If the local mafia there wanted to use him as scapegoat, he wouldn't be useful dead unless his death would appear to be suicide!

Does not have to be Thai Visa. Any press, any blog, any site anywhere?

My point is that all the sherlocks out there offer nothing but conjecture.

If they profess to know everything..... then step up to the microphone!

There is an international audience who want to know the truth!

How many 7/11 workers could you borrow a phone from that have INTERNATIONAL call availability, to call your mum and sister?

BS - He's lying.

How many 7/11 workers do you know that have enough credit to call International numbers? rolleyes.gif

Even my own wife rarely has anymore then 200-300 baht credit on her phone, and I don't tend to have much more in mine either when I'm at home.

The intelligence of some TV posters is shocking

1.) He was in 7-11 did you know they sell phone cards there rolleyes.gif he could of easily purchased them and put on the 7-11 assistants phone

2.) Most thais I know have smart phones that means you can make an international call directly from the internet using Skype for example.

I believe the kid and it is not hard to believe that the island mafia is in control of the situation

• Like 2

i have warned all my friends not to go there because it IS OWNED BY MOB. now they believe me. sure if you are into drugs you can always get it cheap and easy ... especially if you are a pretty girl. i have met dozens of friends who hook up with mob just for free drugs. those who obstruct justice ... must be punished.

• Like 1

Right ..

Have you never made photo where you did something silly just for the laugh? Well i did, and i sure that many of us has done so.

Also, even if this guy was/is abusing drugs, doesn't mean that this event should just be dismissed.

Please tell me, do you have some kind of relation to Koh Tao? What is your interest in trying to bury this story? If something is fishy around here, it's your whole approach to this debate!

EXACTLY!!!

PLUTO seems to have a very unnatural obsession with trying to discredit Sean McAnna. It's almost as if he has a personal investment into accomplishing this. Maybe he's a 'FAMILY' member.

• Like 1

Richard Barrows posts an update from the Koh Tao Community Board on Facebook stating Sean's claims are factually incorrect:

https://twitter.com/DotKohTao/status/514070543964721152/photo/1

In fact when, making the accusations, he in fact pointed out the owner of In Touch on his earlier FB comments a a possible culprit (Quote "the guy on the left"). I can categorically state that the owner of In Touch is one of the most decent, honest individuals on the island.

Quite a lot of support for that post in the group.

Yes, and I as posted in anoher thread, I'm sure Fred West and Harold Shipmans friends and neighbours thought they were stand up blokes too !! whistling.gif

I worked for the group that owned the company where Fred West worked. Nobody had any ideas of what he was up to apparently. Just thought of as a normal average worker.

don't worry Oak, the apologists here will have a valid reason for them to not give a sample..

Why would the pair in question not be first in the line to prove their "innocence" ?? Refusal to give a sample but yet the Police stated ALL MALES on the Island would be sampled.. pillars of the community or not.. they need to voluntary give samples to be able to refute the claims of the McAnna chap. simple as that!!

Agree.

Also, I was under the impression that the police would make anyone and everyone provide a urine sample, in accordance with the country's war on drugs.