Is Thailand Safe?

BKK Blues Brother

The British Embassy travel warnings for Thailand are a sobering reminder of the seamier side of its resorts.

It states: "Western tourists have been victims of vicious, unprovoked attacks by gangs in Koh Phangan. These attacks are particularly common around the time of the Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars in Haad Rin on Koh Phangan.

"There have been sexual assaults against foreign men and women."

The deaths of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge now bring the total number of British citizens murdered in Thailand since 2009 to 13.

So is Thailand a safe place to visit? wai.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've felt safer in Thailand than I have in say London, Manchester, Sydney, Brisbane, Amsterdam.

The one and only time I haven't felt safe in Thailand was when I was traveling in a mini bus!

Yes with you there, the moment you get on any form of transport or the roads, it's dangerous.....

• Like 1

The land of smiles is safe, but what's behind the smiles a xenophobic race that only wants your hard earned cash

If you not a citizen of a country, you won't be welcomed in any country if you don't have your hard earned cash or anyone support you.

Have written a bit about travel safety and tried to offer advice to travelers in dicey destinations like Brazil and South Africa, which are genuinely dangerous in terms of violent crime. Problems arise when Westerners see a beach and think they are in a "resort" - which is certainly not the case in , say, Rio de Janieiro, where all the criminal elements of Brazil go to the beach to rob the tourists.

A similar phenomenon seems to be at work in LOS on the islands known for their full moon parties. What could be easier for a predator than to ambush a drunken or high farang on an isolated beach in the middle of the night? The bit difference seems to be rhe chronic state of denial which plagues the Thai authorities. Brazil may have all sorts of problems, but at least they admit they

exist, and advise tourists to be careful where appropriate. Brazil has also had a number of major public education campaigns designed to get the population to respect tourists. LOS would be well advised to learn from the experience of other countries in both preparing visitors and changing the attitude of the Thai population towards farang ( known as " gringos" in Brazil) . That much said. the roads in Thailand are the second most dangerous in the world , statistically speaking - and are the biggest threat to your safety.

• Like 2

No not safe. Same as many other 3rd world countrys.

Same as first world countries too.... read or watch news from first world countries.... murders and assaults everywhere blink.png ....

....no where in the world, can one be sure to be 100% safe.... So Thailand is a safe as anywhere else.... facepalm.gif

• Like 2

Feel safe or not is quite subjective. In my opinion, it is not any worse than the US. Statistic is just a statistic. I lived in the US for 15 years and nothing serious has ever happened to me or my family. This is my 2nd year in Thailand, so far nothing yet. I guess it is all up to you. As long as you don't choose to go to the wrong place at the wrong time, you will be fine anywhere.

Thailand's roads are not very safe, and renting/riding motorcycles, particularly at night or when under the influence, is very unsafe. But in general Thailand is a safe place to visit, as long as you take the normal precautions that hopefully you would in any tourist destination or city. To claim anything else is just scaremongering.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

13 British murdered in 5 years. As high as that may sound, it is relatively small considering the number of tourists that have visited in that period.

Nowhere in this world is 'safe'. Perhaps more information from relevant tourist authorities regarding what to do and what not to do while here may help.

IMHO, Thailand is low on my list of danger areas on the planet.

• Like 2

I traveled around Europe and North and South America since the 60's and live in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and the US.....I feel more safe and accepted in Thailand than in any other country.....even than in my hometown.

• Like 2

When I saw the subject tag, I immediately thought of the character Eleanor in the US TV series The Bridge. She's a psycho, wanted for murder, but her favorite question is "Is it safe?"

It's a question that's impossible to answer. Generally speaking, the "safety" factor goes down whenever there is a large unruly crowd of drunk/wired people milling around. That's true anywhere.

It does seem a bit odd to me that tourists who have been living a perfectly normal life in their country of origin...come to Thailand and decide to jump from high rise hotels and condos...stab themselves to death...choke themselves to death...and the all time winner...cut off their own heads...

Way too many deaths of foreigners are blamed on suicide...so that the death can quickly be disposed of and not mess up the statistics for Thailand...

You may be safe...if you create a safe environment to live in...security is a serious issue...not to be taken lightly...

No.

At least, not if you have to ask. Worldly travelers insure their own safety by behaving as the situation requires. Getting drunk/high around 100s of unknown partiers, in the dark, in unfamiliar circumstances doesn't fit those criteria.

Otherwise, in 30+ years, I have never felt in any serious danger in Thailand.