Police to install more street lights and CCTVs throughout Bangkok

webfact

Royal Thai Police to install more street lights and CCTVs throughout Bangkok

BANGKOK, 23 September 2014 (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police are planning to increase street lighting and install 50,000 more CCTV cameras across 283 ‘danger areas’ throughout Bangkok in a bid to beef up security and reduce the rate of crime.

Acting Police chief Police General Watcharapol Prasarnrachakit met with representatives from 88 police stations, 50 district offices, and the Metropolitan Electricity Authority to come up with measures to increase security throughout the capital.

The meeting agreed to install more street lights and CCTV cameras in areas that are ridden with crime, mostly in crowded communities. The installation is expected to take at least 60 days.

Meanwhile, the police will also deploy more personnel to patrol dangerous areas in a bid to reduce criminal activities relating to bodily assaults and robbery.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-23 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

How many do you need? Really.... Is Thailand must be the most CCTV'd country in Asia by now? But what have you got to show for it, to prove what a great and necessary expenditure this all is? You could probably find a better place to spend all that money...but as I'm not a control freak, I wouldn't know would I?

I was under the impression that street lighting was a BMA function.

So, does that mean the police are to blame for the project that saw hundreds of dubiously-Edwardian-style lamp posts erected in the likes of Thonglor and Silom, where the existing lighting is reasonably good, only for the new lamps to remain nothing more than decorative eyesores? Money that, in Thonglor, at least, could have been better spent on pedestrian bridges.