Phuket beach operators appeal to HM the King

webfact

Phuket beach operators appeal to HM the King
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1411462569_1-org.jpg
We want to go back: Illegal sunbeds with umbrellas on Patong Beach in 2011. Photo Dennis Wong

PHUKET: -- In a bid to get back on Phuket’s beaches after being expelled by the Army-backed beach clean-up, the small operators have banded together in an appeal to HM King Bhumibol.

In a letter sent in July to the Bureau of the Royal Household but only revealed today (September 23) on Facebook, the operators wrote, “May it please Your Majesty, the Patong sunbed operators, the Kamala sunbed operators, the Patong car rental companies, the Patong itinerant food and drink sellers and the Patong massage club humbly plead for Your Majesty’s help.

“As a result of the policy of the National Council of Peace and Order to regulate Patong and Kamala beaches, we no longer have jobs.

“We have no money to support our families or provide medical care for them. We have worked in these jobs for about 10 years. We do not have the knowledge to do any other job and we have no land that we can farm.

“The government allowed us to work like this for ten years. It is an honest job, taking care of tourists, and we made much money for the nation. Now the number of tourists has decreased because there are no sunbeds, no food or drink deliveries and no massages.

“Every year, we have paid income and other taxes to the Municipality”

The Bureau of the Royal Household wrote to Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut on August 15: “Jarithon Sipke of 92 Meun-ngan Rd, Patong and others have been allowed to work as sunbed operators, masseuses and car renters on Patong Beach and Kamala Beach for long time,” the letter said.

The letter, signed by Injan Buraphat, Acting Deputy Secretary-General of the Bureau went on, “But beach regulations have had the effect of preventing them from working in the area. Because they are now unemployed and also have debts, they wish to return to work in the same place to make a living.

“Please inform us of your opinion which will be presented to His Majesty.”

Governor Maitri forwarded the letter to the Kathu District Officer with a note attached: “Please consider this issue and report back within 15 days of receiving this letter.”

The Phuket News today contacted the Kathu District Officer, Sayan Chanachaiwong, who said that he was still waiting for the letter to arrive.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-operators-appeal-to-hm-the-king-48842.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-23

A friendly reminder

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

Forum rules: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

/Admin

"Now the number of tourists has decreased because there are no sunbeds, no food or drink deliveries and no massages."

Lol. Well, not really. I fear they may actually fool some people with these kind of lies. Actually, the opposite is true. The whole point of the clean-up is to address complaints by tourists negatively effecting Phuket's image.

"we no longer have jobs.

“We have no money to support our families or provide medical care for them. We have worked in these jobs for about 10 years. We do not have the knowledge to do any other job and we have no land that we can farm.

More nonsense. There is a massive employment shortage in Phuket. Thai people are resilient. I have full faith the 100-200 people this is effecting will persevere.

• Like 2

Hypothetically, if The King was to allow this concession, wouldn't that set a precedent for every other beach in Thailand?

On that basis, I can't possibly see how it can be allowed.

(to the Mods - I'm not sure if this post breaches forum rules - I am aware there's a very fine line when talking about the Thai monarchy - if it does breach forum rules - that was not my intent)

Edited by NamKangMan

“The Bureau of the Royal Household wrote to Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut on August 15...”

“Please consider this issue and report back within 15 days of receiving this letter.”

“…the Kathu District Officer, Sayan Chanachaiwong, (who) said that he was still waiting for the letter to arrive.”

I guess they missed the 15 day deadline…

“As a result of the policy of the National Council of Peace and Order to regulate Patong and Kamala beaches, we no longer have jobs." wai2.gifwai.gif

regulate:verb:

control or supervise (something, esp. a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations.

ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense ‘control by rules’):

So, what's the argument here?

Impose Anarchy?

• Like 1

“The Bureau of the Royal Household wrote to Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut on August 15...”

“Please consider this issue and report back within 15 days of receiving this letter.”

“…the Kathu District Officer, Sayan Chanachaiwong, (who) said that he was still waiting for the letter to arrive.”

I guess they missed the 15 day deadline…

“As a result of the policy of the National Council of Peace and Order to regulate Patong and Kamala beaches, we no longer have jobs." wai2.gifwai.gif

regulate:verb:

control or supervise (something, esp. a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations.

ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense ‘control by rules’):

So, what's the argument here?
Impose Anarchy?

"Impose Anarchy?" - well, that's pretty much what we have had here for the last 10 years. You could call it, anarchy by baht, not bullet. :)

Just a free for all, snouts in the trough, piss take of everyone, and everything here.

I suppose a change from that will be hard to adjust to for some on Phuket. biggrin.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

who next to make a petition the illegal taxi drivers or the illegal land occupiers or the loan sharks , druug dealers etc or even the illegal nightclub owners...Patong what a mess

And let's not forget that previous governments (all colors) , the police, local government bodies etc., watched this massive problem develop and said nothing and took no action, and on the others side of the picture many / most / all of the umbrella operators / taxi mafia gangs etc etc., knew full well that they were breaking the laws and regulations.

Let's also remember that many folks, world wide, every year, get thrown of illegal and legal work all the time and (not nice) but they have to find alternative employment.

Part of the conundrum here is whether people want full democracy and capitalism or they want a totally controlled economy. You can't have it both ways.

Edited by scorecard

“Every year, we have paid income and other taxes to the Municipality”

Perhaps if they want sympathy, they could publish some of their income tax payments? However, I bet not single one of them has ever paid any income tax, despite them claiming to "make much money for the nation".

The only "tax" they have likely paid is a bribe to a corrupt official to illegally "rent" the beach.

• Like 1

It would be a mistake to go back to allowing the extortion on the beaches. Beaches are for the enjoyment of the public, not places of business where the business operates consider the beach as part of their property. They were all parasites and I personally have zero sympathy for them.

who next to make a petition the illegal taxi drivers or the illegal land occupiers or the loan sharks , druug dealers etc or even the illegal nightclub owners...Patong what a mess

it's great to have got them off the beach so that holiday makers can enjoy a beautiful clean beach with out being annoyed,

Keep them well away,afar all they are connected to the maffia anyway.

Obviously for these people to be providing beach services for ten years means there is tourist demand for the services. And in that time the federal and local governments allowed those services to be provided for the greater benefit to the Thai people. So while authorities' revived enforcement of beach regulations is to be lauded, there is an ETHICAL responsibility to the welfare of the beach service providers (maybe with emphasis on those who can prove filing of tax returns).

There is no harm of authorities to consider solutions to help these maintain a means of support, whether it be through coordination and of services, assisting with other employment and business opportunities, interim small business loans to relocate and establish new businesses, interim unemployment assistance, etc. NCPO has done as much in the billions of baht for the rice and rubber farmers, for the general Bangkok through lower food mall meal prices, subsidized fuel prices, subsidized mass transit, etc.

• Like 1

Obviously for these people to be providing beach services for ten years means there is tourist demand for the services. And in that time the federal and local governments allowed those services to be provided for the greater benefit to the Thai people. So while authorities' revived enforcement of beach regulations is to be lauded, there is an ETHICAL responsibility to the welfare of the beach service providers (maybe with emphasis on those who can prove filing of tax returns).

There is no harm of authorities to consider solutions to help these maintain a means of support, whether it be through coordination and of services, assisting with other employment and business opportunities, interim small business loans to relocate and establish new businesses, interim unemployment assistance, etc. NCPO has done as much in the billions of baht for the rice and rubber farmers, for the general Bangkok through lower food mall meal prices, subsidized fuel prices, subsidized mass transit, etc.

"maybe with emphasis on those who can prove filing of tax returns"

Well, that would be none of them - not even a single one.

In the 10 years they made good money (according to themselves), they made a conscious effort not to support society, why should society support them now? There are plenty of ordinary and legal jobs they can get in Phuket if they want to.

Edited by monkeycountry

I think the continuation of allowing the noisy jetskis and dangerous parasails to operate probably irks them even more. And the Patong mayor's response that these two 'businesses', (which are as bad, if not worse than loungers - I wouldn't visit any beach which allows them) fall under three different departments who aren't able to get together and organise their removal is pathetic, but typically Thai. I'm not 'Thai bashing', but seriously, how about some common sense here? laugh.png

BTW I blame the authorities for letting this get out of hand. The police frequently chasing vendors off at Laem Promthep, but not the beaches. Wonder why?

Again, the selfishness rises. It's always about "I have no job', "I need to feed the family", "I'm poor", SO I COMMIT CRIME.

Such a disgrace of a living thing to be called a human being. The army cleaned up what was supposed to be cleaned up years ago. These scums should realize that they were benefiting illegally for those many years and should shut their mouths already and actually find a decent income without criminal activities.

These pleas, put more disgust upon them.

"I've been dumping chemical trash into the ocean for years!!! You can't stop me! If you do, my family will starve."

Starve then..... useless trash, society gains nothing from you anyways.

• Like 1

Personally I like to sit under an umbrella on a reclining chair, but to have the umbrella 3-4-5 deep is ridiculous.

Give an inch take a mile, or the whole beach. The same with food. Food carts are fine, building restaurants

on the beach, not so much. How do you pick which umbrella providers and food and drink sellers.

If you can't licence/regulate a reasonable level, keep them all off until you can figure out a way.

Nobody wants all the Crap and Mafia style beach venders anymore... Give it up...

The military is doing a great job cleaning up Phuket and the other lawless beaches. It will be nice not to get hassled, attacked or worse that has

been going on in Phuket and the rest of the illegal beach businesses!!! thumbsup.gif

Again, the selfishness rises. It's always about "I have no job', "I need to feed the family", "I'm poor", SO I COMMIT CRIME.

Wellllll. Sometimes that is the case. If they are allowed to 'commit crime', it's because the, (oh, c'mon now, 'authorities' have allowed them to. Na?huh.png Much like prostitution). That's illegal too. But I see very few rants against this particular criminal (according to Thai LAW) on this forum. Why? I ask myself. Why? laugh.png

BTW It hasn't escaped my notice that many of the self righteous diatribes against farang seeking advice re advice in the visa forum are mostly long term old mongers here coffee1.gif

"We have worked in these jobs for about 10 years. We do not have the knowledge to do any other job and we have no land that we can farm."

Shouldn't that be:

"We have worked in these illegal jobs for about 10 years. We do not have the desire to do any other job and we have no land that we can farm - just like many other hard working people."

The Jet ski Mafia thugs are back on the beach ripping the Tourist off again. Someone is turning a blind eye as they get there pockets filled

Might want to look to Marine 5 for those "someones". Jet skis riders/renters have to have a thai captains license and I've never seen anyone asked for this, nor have I seen a tourist with one. So in essence, every rental is illegal and breaking the law.

Edited by steelepulse

Went on the south side of Patong yesterday for a bike ride and noticed Paradise beach have a sign at the entry saying 100baht for enter and the beach was full with deckchairs and umbrellas, seems to be a privately owned beach. Looks like some still allowed to make profits on a smaller scale? Or probably they act like a hotel or something but never saw entry fees before in any hotel, must be some kind of special scheme w00t.gif

http://phuketnewsonline.com/paradise-beach-in-phuket-phuket-beaches-best-beaches-in-phuket-thailand-402636/