River Kwai Bridge Festival 2014

Boycie

Thanks. Have seen it many times but not for the past decade or so.

Might take my wife and daughter to see it this year. Do they still do the "bombing re-enactment," steam train and all?

Yes they do. Have a look on YouTube many video's from past years. Don't know what the plan is this year but for the past few years they have based the show on the far side of the bridge/river from the station. So if you were thinking of booking a table for dinner, at one of the floating restaurants, you would see very little of the show.

I'd also advise against front row seats. The special effects are far too close to the spectators.

Hi Folks,

One really hopes that the Thai Army in Kan takes control of this Light and Sound Show as before.

The last two years 2012 and 2013 was on the other side of this most Famous Bridge.............no comment as I never when.

The other year 2011, Thailand had the Great Flood, unknown for 50 years, but the show did go on, on the Town side of the river, without the pomp and the usual music.

The 2010 Show, was as you Kan will see on my link below.

In years before please visit the Real Shows as I have photos of them. The link is below with all my notes as well. Hope you enjoy the link.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/ls_kan

The best of the rest was in 2009, so let us all hope that this year's show will be the Very Best.

I rest me case in the defence of this River Kwai Festival, Light and Sound Show, My Lord.

Win wai.gif

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

One really hopes that the Thai Army in Kan takes control of this Light and Sound Show as before.

The last two years 2012 and 2013 was on the other side of this most Famous Bridge.............no comment as I never when.

The other year 2011, Thailand had the Great Flood, unknown for 50 years, but the show did go on, on the Town side of the river, without the pomp and the usual music.

The 2010 Show, was as you Kan will see on my link below.

In years before please visit the Real Shows as I have photos of them. The link is below with all my notes as well. Hope you enjoy the link.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/ls_kan

The best of the rest was in 2009, so let us all hope that this year's show will be the Very Best.

I rest me case in the defence of this River Kwai Festival, Light and Sound Show, My Lord.

Win wai.gif

Is there places to stay? wat is the costs of the show?

• Like 1

Is this some kind of Hollywood musical? Floating resturants and bars? The light and sound show? Any dancing girls?

This is all a disgrace.Thousands of prisoners lost their lives in terrible conditions. It was a tragedy. We should be mourning these poor souls and making sure this disaster never happens again,not turn it into some kind of Disneyland.I find it particulary offensive that one poster said,"The tickets were dirt cheap".

Is this some kind of Hollywood musical? Floating resturants and bars? The light and sound show? Any dancing girls?

This is all a disgrace.Thousands of prisoners lost their lives in terrible conditions. It was a tragedy. We should be mourning these poor souls and making sure this disaster never happens again,not turn it into some kind of Disneyland.I find it particulary offensive that one poster said,"The tickets were dirt cheap".

You seem to be easily offended. My Grandfather was a Japanese prisoner of war. Not on the death railway but for this reason alone I intend to visit when I next visit Thailand at the end of November, I would like to see the museums and the cemeteries and now that I know that this show will be on whilst I am there, I am delighted. It will give my girlfriend some enjoyment as she has no connection to and no knowledge of what happened on the death railway. When I talked to her about visiting Kanchanaburi she only knew about the Erawan waterfalls. Perhaps a show like this will attract a younger generation of Thais who then might go on to learn about what actually happened there.

MW72. I am sure many forum readers will know what I mean. But,maybe,I am being a little oversensative about it. I hope you and your girlfriend have an enjoyable holiday in Thailand.

I for one don't think your being over sensitive. I have been to Kan several time to visit the grave sites and found it very saddening. Last time I went some 3/4 years ago was to visit same again and thought I would take in the light and sound show.

To me it was a farce. It's just an excuse to get yet more cash in for the locals who by the way don't give a monkeys toss about what happened on the death railway.

It if anyone want's to know is just a firework show, loud bangs and a train chugging it's way over the bridge. All be it they do try hard to make it spectacular it is slightly marred by the fact that you have to make your way through several thousand stalls selling the usual crap. No dancing girls but it wouldn't surprise me if some time they don't get some.

Would I go to Kan again a big yes but I would make sure that I didn't go when that show was on.

Sorry if I offend anyone just my personal opinion.

Least we forget A.

Edited by fredob43

MW72. I am sure many forum readers will know what I mean. But,maybe,I am being a little oversensative about it. I hope you and your girlfriend have an enjoyable holiday in Thailand.

I for one don't think your being over sensitive. I have been to Kan several time to visit the grave sites and found it very saddening. Last time I went some 3/4 years ago was to visit same again and thought I would take in the light and sound show.

To me it was a farce. It's just an excuse to get yet more cash in for the locals who by the way don't give a monkeys toss about what happened on the death railway.

It if anyone want's to know is just a firework show, loud bangs and a train chugging it's way over the bridge. All be it they do try hard to make it spectacular it is slightly marred by the fact that you have to make your way through several thousand stalls selling the usual crap. No dancing girls but it wouldn't surprise me if some time they don't get some.

Would I go to Kan again a big yes but I would make sure that I didn't go when that show was on.

Sorry if I offend anyone just my personal opinion.

Least we forget A.

spot on again fred.

• 1 month later...