Chili con carne

MZurf

They hang people in Texas for any number of reasons, but even there I don't thinks you'll get offed for using non-real and authentic ingredients in the chiliwhistling.gif

Sorry, I should have written, South Texas.

Well, that explains it then.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google Nookies Delights and try his chilli con carne.

Best I have tasted and he could bring some down to Pattaya on his fortnightly visits to "buy stock".

If you wish add some Brook baked beans - at least as good as Heinz, a fraction of the price and not too sweet like many American brands and those awful Ayam beans.

• 4 pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces Translation (con carne - with meat)
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder (make your own) Translation (Chile powder is chili)
  • 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
  • 1 (32-ounce) container beef broth
  • 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 teaspoons granulated garlic (real garlic better)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin ( All Thais may not like cumin}
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder (real onion better)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chunky-beef-chili-10000001108275/

Chili with meat and beans would be - Chili Con Carne Y Frijoles

Edited by thailiketoo

The dish was originally carne con chile which actually is more logical.

To paraphrase a certain well known poster; Logical, schmogical!tongue.png

BTW, and off topic; Craig3356 is reporting spotting a Japanese restaurant on soi Chayapruek in the thread "Moving back to Pattaya". Please (anyone) contribute if you have any info.

• 4 pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces Translation (con carne - with meat)
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder (make your own) Translation (Chile powder is chili)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika

Just a suggestion to improve the recipe above: First, cook the meat in a skillet until brown. Second, take a few real tomatoes, one onion and one (or more depending on how hot you want it) real Mexican peppers and grill them in an open flame (get burned spots on them).... then add all of the liquid and the grilled tomatoes, onion and pepper in a blender (and other spices and garlic).........mix it all up, and put it in a crokpot and cook until the meat (beef or pork) is very tender. It really important to grill the vegetables in order to release "hidden flavours/smells." The recipe looks too "watery" to me. But you can always thicken it in the end with corn starch. I am hungry!

As we are required to stick to English in this forum I offer you an alternative translation: "Absolutely delicious"!

I like to quote a friend of mine who happens to be linguistic professor at the university of Berlin :

Chili con carne comes from Texas and the Englisch is a Pidgin from Anglo saxonic, French and nd Danish , with Welsh Syntax.

• 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika

Just a suggestion to improve the recipe above: First, cook the meat in a skillet until brown. Second, take a few real tomatoes, one onion and one (or more depending on how hot you want it) real Mexican peppers and grill them in an open flame (get burned spots on them).... then add all of the liquid and the grilled tomatoes, onion and pepper in a blender (and other spices and garlic).........mix it all up, and put it in a crokpot and cook until the meat (beef or pork) is very tender. It really important to grill the vegetables in order to release "hidden flavours/smells." The recipe looks too "watery" to me. But you can always thicken it in the end with corn starch. I am hungry!

Good suggestions above. I also add chopped up celery to the mix. IMHO the cumin is what really gives chili it's distinctive flavour and is an absolute requirement if you are going to call it Chili con carne. One other trick an itallian friend of mine taught me when cooking any sort of tomatoe sauce based dish is that you can use instant coffee to improve the colour of the dish.

I also add red kidney beans and usually make it with ground beef.

Edited by canman

Good suggestions above. I also add chopped up celery to the mix. IMHO the cumin is what really gives chili it's distinctive flavour and is an absolute requirement if you are going to call it Chili con carne. One other trick an itallian friend of mine taught me when cooking any sort of tomatoe sauce based dish is that you can use instant coffee to improve the colour of the dish.

I also add red kidney beans and usually make it with ground beef.

Coffee and kidney beans in chili is like putting ketchup on pizza or ice in beer.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/build-a-better-bowl-of-chili-chili-is-easy-to-98470609800.html

Please note that in some places they use beans in their chili without receiving death threats - unlike Thailandtongue.png .

You are asking Martha Stewart about chili? You do know she recently got out of prison. Maybe not death threats, just jail time because she is a woman.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/food/build-a-better-bowl-of-chili-chili-is-easy-to-98470609800.html

Please note that in some places they use beans in their chili without receiving death threats - unlike Thailandtongue.png .

You are asking Martha Stewart about chili? You do know she recently got out of prison. Maybe not death threats, just jail time because she is a woman.

I tried Tequilla Reef "one more time" (I had earlier decided to never going there again). I ordered chili. It really was good! And it came with a small side order of chopped onions and cheese and three flour tortillas. It was not very spicy/hot, but they do have hot sauce. I have to say that it was the best chili I have had in Pattaya-Jomtien.

Okay. I'll stick my foot in it. If plain "chili" is not "con carne" (therefore without meat) and also without beans, then shall we infer it is just some spices and chopped onions, etc? Wouldn't that then fit under classification of "salsa"? Makes me think of 5 easy pieces flick when Nicholson just wants some wheat toast...

just enjoyed what I (as a Brit) considered to be a great meal of chilli con carne (a large bag at B80) from Fon's Foods ...... yes the homemade pie and home made curry lady ................... on Soi 5/1 on left/south side of Theppasist going west towards the sea.

BTW - she's also just started taste testing her home made lasagne too.

• 6 months later...

Tequila Reef has Texas Crash and Burn Chili. It is not the best item on their menu but it is not the worst I have ever tasted. I adore Tex-Mex food above all others! Alas, Mexico is way too dangerous to live there!

Soak for 24.....the right spices.....and a pressure cooker.....Chilli can be an art......as well as meat loaf.........and after a good bowl you dont need no stinkin badges...

Tequila Reef has Texas Crash and Burn Chili. It is not the best item on their menu but it is not the worst I have ever tasted. I adore Tex-Mex food above all others! Alas, Mexico is way too dangerous to live there!

Crash and burn chili was good a few years ago.

but crap now, like dish water you need a straw to drink it, last time I went.

No thanks

Many years ago I ordered Chilli in a Texas livestock auction yard.

Expecting to get rice I was surprised to just receive a bowl of spiced minced beef and a couple of packets of crackers.

And very nice it was too.

Ps. Think I was nearer the middle of Texas.

Crash and burn chili was good a few years ago.

but crap now, like dish water you need a straw to drink it, last time I went.

No thanks

Last time I ordered that Chilli, it was served to me still frozen.

Complained, and it came back with an attitude, microwaved to death and tasted burnt.

Never again.

Try the Moonshine bar/restaurant/hotel, soi 4, Jomtien. It is chili con carne w/ beans, but it is good.......better than the other places that have been mentioned.

I thought it was meh.

The owner asked me if it was OK. I said ... OK.

Just a thought, but for those looking for a spicy pinto bean dish, there are a number of Indian restaurants in town offering good versions of the vegetarian comfort food of the Punjab -- rajmah masala. It reminds me somewhat of chili but yes I've been living in Thailand too long.

Edited by Jingthing