Now all THAI passengers will get extra 10 kilogramme baggage allowance

Lite Beer

Good, hope the other domestic carriers follow suit i.e Bangkok Airways. Always end up traveling from BKK to the north via coach as the airlines from the UK (Etihad & Emirates) allows 30KG to BKK but then any connecting domestic flight is then only 20GK!!! Though sure most people don't get close to 30KG so who knows what difference it will make!

Tell the domestic carrier you have just come off a long haul flight and there is not usually a problem with excess baggage. Show then the boarding pass if necessary.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting very wary of AirAsia now. Not only do they try and get out of refunding a fare, they say they've sent it to the bank and 2 months later it still hasn't arrived.

I'm not happy with their advertising lately. They advertise a cheap flight, and then add on Tax, Fuel levy, increased baggage charges, charge for a seat.

Their fares to Australia from CNX have increased by almost $50, yet oil prices are down.

Good, hope the other domestic carriers follow suit i.e Bangkok Airways. Always end up traveling from BKK to the north via coach as the airlines from the UK (Etihad & Emirates) allows 30KG to BKK but then any connecting domestic flight is then only 20GK!!! Though sure most people don't get close to 30KG so who knows what difference it will make!

Easily solved. If you become a 'member' at Bangkok Airways, it costs nothing, you are allowed 30 kg on all flights. Also if you are 'booked through' when you check in for ongoing flights with the likes of Emirates or Etihad, Bangkok Airways allow you the full 30kg as per their partners allowances. You are not keeping up with the game !

Wow. I am surprised at these complaints. Compared to both national carriers in Canada, Thai Airways to me is top Notch. Both Air Canada and West Jet started last week charging $25 dollars for the first checked bag on all economy class tickets.... and the food on those airlines is absolutely disgusting compared to Thai Airways. Sure the price is higher than Asian based discount airlines, but for a Star Alliance member, nothing beats them for my dollar compared to their North American counterparts.

I wish that they would decrease their ticketing price before they increase their baggage allowance

A bit of both would help, plus better food, service etc.

Better food? You can't even get water without paying for it.

TG? Are you sure about that? BKK>>MEL last weekend and no issues getting drinks all the way, ok I did have G&T instead of water but didn't have to pay.

I wish that they would decrease their ticketing price before they increase their baggage allowance

I have never found reason to complain about in-flight service on Thai in 15 years for this route. Qantas & B.A. are another story altogether.

If the General ensures they do cut down the freebees and upgrades for PTP party members & other self identified HiSo's (including military officers) they will definitely be able to lower their prices. I think they are a good airline, but owned by the govt, and therefore run by the "government of the day" as they are, they are not their own masters.

Gave them up about 2 years ago when they left me stuck at CM airport (managed to get on Air Asia so OK)..

Had the flight booked about 3 months earlier but they lost the booking and 25 or so Emails and fruitless conversations later gave them up as a lost cause.

TG definitely have a good product hence why I.. friends and family etc.enjoyed using them for what the best part of 20 years ...(10 as a Gold card members) but no more ...the smile has faded.

The world has changed since the old monopoly days of pick a flight with either .Thai-BA-Quantas...there are others....

Still go back to UK with the odd joli down to see relatives in Oz a couple of times a year so just for old times sake ...checked their tic prices... and 1200 quid seemed ..not to bad ...until I noticed that was for 1 passenger.

Over at good old Eti returns for both of us hit me for less that 1K...and a chance to try thy their new A 380.....and luggage is about 40 kilos each plus hand baggage...wife loves that...I carry a Tesco bag..

Know there is a stop in A Dhabi but after 6 months of CM whats another hour or so.....also ....we use the Royal Orchid Lounge at Suwanna......nong...nong...another G & T jao...lots of nam ken.....and manau.....stirred not shaken...sanuk..

never forget that you have a choice....where did I remember that from..?

"Stirred not shaken............where did I remember that from..? From a Jame Bond movie i think!!! LOL

Have been flying with Thai to and from NZ for many years with no issues. Good modern aircraft and no problems with food or service. Suspect that they are now able to to offer the increased baggage allowance because the "Big Boss" has stepped on all the freebie flights for the Thai Air board and friends.

Of course flying in to BKK with 30 kgs now brings more opportunities to enforce the tightened duty free allowances.

nb Our daughter took a school group to Europe with Thai Air and vowed never to use them again due to the antique aircraft they were using to Europe from BKK. My ex boss was the same after a bad London to BKK flight with them.

too little, too late, methinks

Why? I Use them regularly and they are fine.... I was looking for a fare for the dates I wanted over the new year, coming up, and they were the cheapest full service, and direct flight, airline for those dates... they were only about 60 AUD dearer than AA and the like...

Use them a bit and you may just get a surprise

Ok Bangkok to UK I just tried, Emirates 110000 baht Business, Thai, well webpage repeatedly would not load when clicking on "English"..................So yep I tried them they failed, tried it several times...............they fail at the first hurdle "error the request could not be satisfied" is what the website says

Edited by kannot

I remember in the 70's when it was a pleasure to fly Thai, the service was great and the food western or Thai was great and the flight attendants attentive, sadly all has changed. Thai inter was never know for discounting prices and a new mind set in the old boys club is needed, again sadly this won't change.

Well, after I realized I had over 20 kg's of luggage last time and the fact that they were charging $25 US a kg for anything over that I got a ticket refund and flew on Emirates. Emirates was about $11 more but they allowed up 30 kg's and even let me slide by with 32.

What I'm saying is that this is just one case where they lost out on a seat. I'm sure there have been more judging by what I see for luggage at the check in lines.

What did you bring, everything but the kitchen sink??

I'm moving over here for an eventual retirement, plus I'm staying 60 days this time. No kitchen sinks, yet.

It's been 5 years since I flew Thai because of a baggage 'issue'. I was transferred (along with 15 other souls) from Emirates to Thai after we'd all missed our Emirates connecting flight out of Dubai to BKK, due to bad weather and late departure from the UK. Obviously, the next day all we had was hand luggage to check in at the Thai desk in Dubai, thinking our suitcases had been transferred from Emirates and loaded in the hold of our Thai flight to BKK......WRONG.... After standing for 1 hour staring at the empty carousel and each other we visited the Luggage Claim Office in Swampy. We told our story and with a rather surprised look, the office lady said '' Your luggage will be coming in 4 hours time, on the next Emirates flight from Dubai. Didn't Thai check-in at Dubai tell you, it's standard procedure?" I thought 'standard procedure was that no luggage could travel in the hold of a plane without the owner/passenger being on the same flight!? As if to 'rub salt into the wounds' the lady then said "leave me your key(s) and I'll arrange for your suitcases to be transported to your homes within 24 hours" . Remembering London Heathrow was often referred to as 'Thief-row', I declined and waited the long 4 hours, when to my surprise I took possession of my suitcase. I remenber the Thai aircraft looked jaded inside and well past it's 'sell by date', but this was compensated for by a generous flight attendant who dispensed an ample supply of free Calvados!!!

Edited by joebrown

I can't believe it took them so long to realize that their 20K allowance was one of the things that put people off.

There are other factors, and I wonder how long it will take their brilliant executives to acknowledge that :

- The staff in most of their offices are essentially a bunch of unpleasant gorgons who treat customers as if it were an honor for them to even be allowed on the premises,

- The onboard staff, who used to be extremely nice and friendly, have also taken a bitter turn in the past 5 years or so,

- The PRICES, especially for the LONG TERM TICKETS, are an insult to reason. OK it's a drag to do a stop in Dubai or Abu Dhabi or wherever, but for a 500 dollars difference, travellers will make the effort because most people are not rich, it's as simple as that !

- The privilege policy on Thai Airways is so obvious that it's unpleasant for normal passengers. By normal, I mean the poor devils who are paying a normal price and are treated like cattle because they are not on the 'hi so list' of the company for whatever reason.

Just get a silver card, which is the easiest thing in the world to do, and bingo. 30kg

I can't believe it took them so long to realize that their 20K allowance was one of the things that put people off.

There are other factors, and I wonder how long it will take their brilliant executives to acknowledge that :

- The staff in most of their offices are essentially a bunch of unpleasant gorgons who treat customers as if it were an honor for them to even be allowed on the premises,

- The onboard staff, who used to be extremely nice and friendly, have also taken a bitter turn in the past 5 years or so,

- The PRICES, especially for the LONG TERM TICKETS, are an insult to reason. OK it's a drag to do a stop in Dubai or Abu Dhabi or wherever, but for a 500 dollars difference, travellers will make the effort because most people are not rich, it's as simple as that !

- The privilege policy on Thai Airways is so obvious that it's unpleasant for normal passengers. By normal, I mean the poor devils who are paying a normal price and are treated like cattle because they are not on the 'hi so list' of the company for whatever reason.

Just get a silver card, which is the easiest thing in the world to do, and bingo. 30kg

LOL, thank you for blessing me with your fathomless wisdom and precious information. I know about the frequent flyer program, thank you, I'm not a Neanderthal and I had a Gold card for a number of years. Then I flew less so I got a Silver card, and then nothing because, in case you didn't know, those magic cards are royally attributed to people who fly a required number of miles.

Once I retired, I started flying to Europe only once a year. Not enough to be Silver, just enough to get the 'cattle card', which remains to be created. Obsessed as they are by the cast and privilege system, Thai Airways would be consistent with their behaviour if they did invent it, because in effect that's how they treat economy class passengers.

Interestingly, the business class folks on Thai Airways are certainly not the ones who bring any kind of profit to the company because most of them are either upgraded or have free tickets, so the cattle class is the one really bringing in the bread and butter. That should get them some true respect, but who cares for true respect when fake respect is what prevails everywhere, especially in that oh so hi so Company ? Read the editorials of their In-Flight Magazine and see how self-satisfied they are.

I am flying home to Oz with them next Monday night and I got the cheapest fare by a long way that I have ever gotten off them in the 8 years I have lived/been coming here

Look to their prices and then Malaysian Airlines. Thai 36000 and Malaysian 19000. Thats for December mid month flights

Edited by callaway

..... seats, lounges, hostesses and what's with the bussing to the plane ......

too little, too late, methinks

Why? I Use them regularly and they are fine.... I was looking for a fare for the dates I wanted over the new year, coming up, and they were the cheapest full service, and direct flight, airline for those dates... they were only about 60 AUD dearer than AA and the like...

Use them a bit and you may just get a surprise

I use them a lot and they still suck! Poor service, over-booking, over-pricing and long delays. That's Kwai Airways in a nutshell.