My Laptop Keeps Disconecting

chiangrai

First check if your drivers are up to date for example Slimdrivers https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php

Also disable Power Management on your Network Card and wireless, I can't give you any links because you didn't say which OS you are using.

But here is one to get you started: http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/10/22/do-you-have-a-sleepy-nic.aspx

Edited by MJCM

I have a Lenova laptop and it keeps disconnecting from the net.

My wife laptop is in the same room and it doesn't happen to hers.

I connect it by wire or by WI-fi but it still happens.

Any ideas.

When you say disconnecting what do you mean? Normally disconnecting was when you had a modem and it would actually disconnect the dial up, nowadays with router everyone is always connected.

Have you tried a different browser to see if it is that

In Device manager select

network Adapters

Then select your wireless adapter from the list. It is normally something like 802.11

Then select driver from the menu at the top

Then select update driver

Then select the automatically search for updates.

you need to make sure that you are actually connected to the internet when you do this. If you need a new driver it will tell you wink.png

O.K,I've done what PIPIFFS said and was told that my drivers are up to date and the best for my

machine.

What next,how do turn the router off.

Have you checked the power management settings of the network devices in your laptop?

Ps: that the wifi disconnects, could be because of the channel setting in the router, most people have it on 11 and thus it easily interferes. Do you have your own router?

Edited by MJCM

Oke understood,

You found how to update the driver, the power management settings are there also,

Check this link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/10/22/do-you-have-a-sleepy-nic.aspx

Question what device do you plug your ethernet (wired) cable in, it goes from your laptop to what device?

Do you have your own internet? For example, Tot, 3bb, true?

You don't say what version Windows you have, if you have Win7 this might help.

When you update drivers through Device Manager it only looks for installed drivers.

To search for new M$ driver on the internet you have to change the default settings.

Go to:- Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Hardware Tab - Device Installation Settings.

post-35075-0-15117900-1411647010_thumb.j

post-35075-0-69280600-1411647029_thumb.j

Don't forget to Save Changes before closing the window.

Someone already suggested use Free Slim Drivers, which I think is a better option.

smile.png

Yes,windows 7 and I have my own TP-link modem in the same room as the laptop.

I have downloaded slim driver and am going through the process of installing 8 updates.

I won't know if it's done any good for a while yet but thanks very much for the help,

much appreciated.

Yes,windows 7 and I have my own TP-link modem in the same room as the laptop.

I have downloaded slim driver and am going through the process of installing 8 updates.

I won't know if it's done any good for a while yet but thanks very much for the help,

much appreciated.

One last time (sorry) did you check the power management settings yet?

Another thing Tp-link is your router, which Tp-link do you have?

TP-Link standard sets the channel for wireless to Auto, but its still worth checking as I also had problems with my wireless disconnecting and it was resolved after changing the wireless channel in the Router to 6.

power management settings-that is on high performance if it's the same power settings we're talking about.

<snip>

High Performance doesn't necessarily disable the Power settings on your Network Devices, check this (For Both Ethernet and Wireless)

You have been here already to check for Updates of your Drivers.

post-10213-0-24418300-1411658648_thumb.j

Now go here and disable "Allow ....."

post-10213-0-56831000-1411658687_thumb.j

<snip>

TD W0101Q

54M ADSL 2+MODEM ROUTER is written on my modem.

Do you know how to turn the channels on it

I had a Google search but I couldnt find any info on this Tp-link, in mine it's under Wireless Advanced.

I just checked the Tp-link site, and I can't find any info on this device.

Edited by MJCM

I had a similar problem when a Microsoft update automatically loaded last month. I was constantly loosing my internet connection and experienced great difficulty getting it back. Another computer I have that is not set to install updates automatically worked normally.

I found a system restore point prior to the update, then uninstalled the update. i had difficulty re-acquiring my wifi signal and basically went through the process outlined by PiPiFFs which did eventually work but with some difficulty. There was a quirk of some sort that threw me off and sorry, I can't recall what it was but there was something a bit confusing in device manager.

Edited by dddave

Some laptops can be "very picky" about their network drivers...ethernet connection and Wifi connection...probably much more so for the Wifi connection. Do you have the drivers from the Lenovo support website loaded on your laptop? If not, that could be your whole problem. Go to the Lenovo webiste, pick your model and operating system and download/install the drivers for your model...especially the Network LAN and Network Wifi drivers. Unless your Lenovo came from the factory with Windows already installed and associated/specific drivers for your model---like maybe you installed Windows yourself or let a shop do it but the shop didn't load the manufacturer's specific drivers--then this could be your problem.

I have a Lenovo Z510 and it has LAN and Wifi drivers on the Lenovo support website. My past experience with my Toshiba laptops is the same. And I have one Toshiba laptop that gives my problems very similar to the OPs unless Toshiba's Wifi driver for that model is loaded...if the Microsoft driver loads because it thinks it's fully compatible I then have Wifi intermittent connection problems...some times the problem appears every few hours...sometimes every few days...if was very frustrating. But once I figured out it was the Microsoft driver (an Optional driver in my laptop's case) automatically installing, I changed my Windows update selection to not automatically install "Optional" updates because this particular Wifi driver was an Optional update....instead, let me review and choose if I want to install Optional udpates. I usually install all Optional updates but I do not in this one Wifi driver case for my Toshiba laptop...I have also "Hid" the one Optional Wifi driver update in Windows to prevent me from accidentally installing it again on my Toshiba. My Toshiba Wifi connection is rock solid with the Toshiba driver, but with the MS driver which will also install just fine I have intermittent Wifi connectivity problems. Yeap, some laptops can be very picky about their drivers.

O.K,

I did the slim drivers 8 updates last night

and left the computer on all night downloading a torrent.

It was still connected when I woke up this morning witch is a miracle considering that yesterday I didn't know that my computer even had a driver.

The one problem I have now,presuming I don't loose connection again,is that at some stage I said yes when I was asked if I wanted to create a restore point or something and now there is much less free space on my disk C.

I appreciate all this help,there is no way that I could have figured this out myself.

• Like 1

WOW 2 Thumbs up.

Restore Point is just something that is created when you install drivers and during the install something goes wrong.

The restore point let you go back in time (before you installed the drivers).

Maybe you can use this program to clean up disk space

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-7

Thanks MJCM........as I said I would never have done it on my own.

I have learned a lot from this forum.I also have CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller to keep my computer running well.I have taken out the divide between my Dick C and Disk D and have de-microsofted my computer in lots of other ways.

You might think that I was computer savvy if you saw my machine but I learned it all here.I got my first laptop 2 years ago and have no one to teach me where I live.

Some of my earliest posts were pitiful when I think of them now.

A tip maybe useful (or not)

If you run CCleaner as Administrator (right click on the Shortcut and select "Run as ... ") you can check your Restore Points under Tools - System Restore, and also delete them from there.

Personally I keep 4 restore Points as I have more then enough Disk Space, but if you run out of space just keep the 2 latest ones.

As a security precaution in Ccleaner, you can't delete the latest Restore Point.