Britons' murder: Police claim Koh Tao investigation hindered by media

webfact

Britons' Murder: Police Claim Investigation Hindered By Media
By Khaosod English

14116490021411649718l.jpg
A banner hung on Koh Tao promising 700,000 baht reward for providing information that leads to the arrest of a culprit behind the Koh Tao muders. 24 Sep 2014.

BANGKOK — Thai police have accused foreign journalists and social media users of muddling their ongoing investigation into the murder of two British tourists in southern Thailand last week.

The Thai police have come under fire in recent days for providing contradictory statements to the press during their effort to find suspects responsible for the murders of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, whose battered bodies were found on a beach on Koh Tao island ten days ago. Police have yet to name an official suspect.

But Pol.Maj.Gen. Panya Mamen, commander of 8th Region Provincial Police, said yesterday that the investigation has been hampered by foreign media coverage. He referred specifically to a story picked up by the British press about Sean McAnna, a Scottish backpacker who said he was threatened by two "mafia" on the island earlier this week.

According to Pol.Maj.Gen. Panya, police found no substance behind Mr. McAnna's accusation.

"The officers shouldn't have believed the foreign press. The time in the investigation was wasted," Pol.Maj.Gen. Panya said.

Meanwhile, chief of the Royal Thai Police, Pol.Gen. Somyot Pumphanmuang blamed the confusion surrounding the murder investigation on social media.

"Police had to waste their time following leads from these rumours," Pol.Gen. Somyot told reporters yesterday.

He also cited the case of Mr. McAnna and insisted that his claim was unfounded, as one of the two men who allegedly intimidated him already "showed his innocence" yesterday. The two Thai men, who run the bar where Mr. Miller and Ms. Witheridge were last seen, are no longer being treated as suspects in the case, Pol.Gen. Somyot added.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1411649002&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-09-26

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to Pol.Maj.Gen. Panya, police found no substance behind Mr. McAnna's accusation.

UnQuote

I said that at the beginning .

The man was obviously a fool and should be punished and jailed.

If not for working illegally , and accusing Thais of these crimes.

But for causing distress to the families of the deceased.

Lets see what the DNA turn up.

Very regrettable .

However , lets not use him as an excuse for the case running cold.

This is still an urgent case .

"Police had to waste their time following leads from these rumours," Pol.Gen. Somyot told reporters yesterday."

No they didn't. They could have ignored them and carried on doing their job.

Oh sure, and then accused by every one of you guys for not following up on a lead from the Press.

Thai police are screwed either way by TV posters. Dam**d if they do and dam**d if they don't.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

You 2 are amazing. So the police should not be following up all possible leads? Most people believe this would have been pinned on some local patsy by now if it was not for all the foreign attention. Unfortunately it still might.

And you base this wild accusation on what proof?

• Like 1

This is what happens if you take a convicted pedo seriosuly, i told the whole forum he was a glory hunter from day one.

So it seems it's the reward offered by the public, which was 714,000 but has now been reduced to 700,000 after (expenses?) versus 1 million that says the family has done nothing wrong but hasn't supplied DNA....plus the undisclosed fee for private police to chase Sean into fear....maybe another 2 milll..

and another cop in dark sunnies looking just a little sus.pointing at a reward sign...but this is not the I didn't do it or I'll give you a million sign, this is the other one.....story just gets better..when will the official forensic reports reveal that Hannah was raped after she was SHOT and then attacked with a Hoe to cover the wounds and then raped after death...I have solid advice from those that know this is what happenned..photos prove it....where is the justice?

After solving this case, Sean was right to leave the country asap. His life was in grave danger for exposing the truth.

As for the police rubbishing his story, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I think the world now understands why no witnesses rushed forward!

The truth? LOL

He said mafia threatened him with death!

That was clearly BS, why would they threaten some pedo loser instead of killing him right on the spot. Since they're the mafia they can do whatever they want on the island, which mafia would let you take a picture of them and let you surf on FB!

• Like 1

This is what happens if you take a convicted pedo seriosuly, i told the whole forum he was a glory hunter from day one.

So it seems it's the reward offered by the public, which was 714,000 but has now been reduced to 700,000 after (expenses?) versus 1 million that says the family has done nothing wrong but hasn't supplied DNA....plus the undisclosed fee for private police to chase Sean into fear....maybe another 2 milll..

and another cop in dark sunnies looking just a little sus.pointing at a reward sign...but this is not the I didn't do it or I'll give you a million sign, this is the other one.....story just gets better..when will the official forensic reports reveal that Hannah was raped after she was SHOT and then attacked with a Hoe to cover the wounds and then raped after death...I have solid advice from those that know this is what happenned..photos prove it....where is the justice?

You should take this story to the police along with the name of the person you heard it from.

Or are you just blowing more smoke?

• Like 2

After solving this case, Sean was right to leave the country asap. His life was in grave danger for exposing the truth.

As for the police rubbishing his story, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I think the world now understands why no witnesses rushed forward!

The truth? LOL

He said mafia threatened him with death!

That was clearly BS, why would they threaten some pedo loser instead of killing him right on the spot. Since they're the mafia they can do whatever they want on the island, which mafia would let you take a picture of them and let you surf on FB!

Do you have any compassion feelings for the victims here??? Or are you just trying to maintain your position...

2 people were murdered, there is forensic proof (supplied on Facebook by the police at the crime scene) that the poor soul Hannah was raped after being beaten to death, and you are defending who exactly?????

Do you think everyone in the area should submit to DNA testing or should the Poo Yai and his family be exempt ..after all they have a million baht that says they didn't do it...shame on you, shame shame shame....

Lets face it, the RTP are NOT anywhere near the standard of police forces in most Western countries. That is why they rely heavily on informants. In this case if no-one in the know talks, the real killers will not be found.