Britons' murder: Police claim Koh Tao investigation hindered by media

webfact

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How long do murder investigations take in your countries?

I guess from your posts every brutal crime is solved immediately back home with 100% success rate.

If the murders took place on a tiny island, and the island was 'locked down' they would be solved very quickly. You DNA every single person on the island without exceptions. Instead of letting people leave on the first ferry to freedom!

• Like 2

Problem with the police in Thailand is there is NEVER critical press of anything by the brown shirts and more of a reflection on the journalism in the country than anything foreign press say. Whining incompetents. And this post is constructive

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 1

You 2 are amazing. So the police should not be following up all possible leads? Most people believe this would have been pinned on some local patsy by now if it was not for all the foreign attention. Unfortunately it still might.

Now I will explain to you why the Press should direct information to the Police.

When the police get a tip from someone and they question the tipster they are looking for visual clues and possibly past know.edge of the credibility of the tipster in order to determine the legitimacy of what is reported. The tipster is also not usually well-rehearsed in his statement. The tipster is also able to provide information anonymously.

Contrast to when the news media receive a "tip" and then publish the tip. The tipster is no longer anonymous and so less likely to provide information. The tipster also has an opportunity to prepare for the police interview and even be swayed by what was reported in the media (which is never accurate). Or the tipster is never named by media sources and so the police spend more time following up than if they meet the tipster first hand and have the benefit of police questioning tactics.

How long do murder investigations take in your countries?

I guess from your posts every brutal crime is solved immediately back home with 100% success rate.

If the murders took place on a tiny island, and the island was 'locked down' they would be solved very quickly. You DNA every single person on the island without exceptions. Instead of letting people leave on the first ferry to freedom!

What country do you live in?

Even in thailand it is against the law for the police to demand DNA samples of every resident.

"Pol Maj Gen Suwat, who is one of the best investigators at the MPB, defended the mass collection of DNA samples, saying police were not doing it simply at their own will but would be on persons who were suspected otherwise it could infringe on the rights and freedom of the people which is against the law."

Don't blame the media for the police shortcomings , experience will tell you that the media will if you let them , crawl all over you, you are not experienced in this type of media circus , there should be a Thai police spokesperson from the media liaison office that handles all of Thailand media police operations, if you haven't one now's the time to form one, this then pins down comments to people that can handle the media, operational officers should stick to the job at hand, it also stops media stops from high ranking officers who know SFA. bah.gif

That is an important lesson the Thai Police just learned; however, it does not excuse the medias' actions.

The media is supposed to report news. Substantiated news. It is not supposed to steer investigations. It is not supposed to create news to gain market share.

Each of these are a blatant abuse of power.

"Police had to waste their time following leads from these rumours," Pol.Gen. Somyot told reporters yesterday."

No they didn't. They could have ignored them and carried on doing their job.

Oh sure, and then accused by every one of you guys for not following up on a lead from the Press.

Thai police are screwed either way by TV posters. Dam**d if they do and dam**d if they don't.

Both of you should already know it is the responsibility of an investigator to follow up on ANY lead.

This is typical Thai behavior to lay the blame for their own ineptness and incompetence on somebody other than themselves. Thai culture teaches them to save face by any means even at the expense of others.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Everybody is a genius about what constitutes Thai behavior.

I had never realized all Thai are identical.

I suppose its like Farang, eh? Brits are identical everywhere with identical motivations. Americans the same.

There is no individual thought and no unique identity amongst anyone in your books. If you have met one Thai then you have met them all, eh?

Social media have what? Maybe if the RTP didn't start babbling at any chance they have for 15 minutes of fame, it might haven't been as muddy.

If anyones has made this muddy, it's RTP. Not only are they making twists and turn over and over again, but also coming with ridiculous racial statements as well. Doesn't those who actually talk with the media have some kind of "spin doctors" who will tell them what is not the best thing to say in general but also about the case itself?

Such accusations are only making themselves look even more incompetent than previously.

i mean step ome why was there civilians next to the crime scene with the police .. first and foremost,,

You 2 are amazing. So the police should not be following up all possible leads? Most people believe this would have been pinned on some local patsy by now if it was not for all the foreign attention. Unfortunately it still might.

Rumours spread on social media are not leads. Leads derive from evidence. Not some no nothing fool talking BS on social media because they crave attention.

Sorry, should have read

know nothing

I think it is becoming evident now (if not several days ago) that the BIB's credibility is totally shot. Without outside independent verification of all the evidence, who is going to believe their eventual conclusion?

I suspect many will only believe it now if it involves the so-called "powerful families"

Speaking to Thais I hear that the general consensus amongst Thais is that the murderer is a farang.

Hmm, for me it seem that general the thai i speak with is just as suspicious about this whole thing as the rest of the world is, if not even more, because no thai in their right mind would expect justice to such a powerful family if that family is in fact behind. They know better than anyone else how things are/have been dealt with in this country.

• Like 1

The clearance rate for murder, ie the rate of arrest and conviction, by any police force in the world, is rarely more than 60% (the UK is exceptional however in that their clearance rate is 95% during 2013). That means that even in the US, some 40% of murders go unsolved.

I doubt that the clearance rate of the Thai police force is that much different from that of other countries in SE Asia.

The clearance rate for murder, ie the rate of arrest and conviction, by any police force in the world, is rarely more than 60% (the UK is exceptional however in that their clearance rate is 95% during 2013). That means that even in the US, some 40% of murders go unsolved.

I doubt that the clearance rate of the Thai police force is that much different from that of other countries in SE Asia.

On an island?

With victims found within hours of death?

With murder weapons and physical evidence strewn around?

Really?

Thankyou!

Finally a voice of reason.

The rate in the UK is highly commendable, but when there are large year-to-year leaps it can sometimes be partly the result of new data tracking methods or classification procedures or even an anomaly.

Still its an amazing bit of police work and speaks very highly of a professional police force.

Thanks again for the post.

On an island?

Really?

Sure, the borders of an island are porous, all manner of boats come and go at all times of day and night.

"Police had to waste their time following leads from these rumours," Pol.Gen. Somyot told reporters yesterday."

No they didn't. They could have ignored them and carried on doing their job.

Exactly, the police shouldn't be basing their enquiries around social media!! Lazy lazy work on their behalf.

• Like 1

On an island?

Really?

MJ,

Murder weapons and physical evidence are great if the suspects prints and DNA are already in the system; however, when they are unknown to law enforcement then these items simply help to attach a future suspect to the crime. Unless the evidence left behind was the attackers phone or wallet perhaps.

As my initial post was removed, here's a clearer version.

The con is on, the focus is being shifted, the monies have been banked and Thai media is swallowing this BS by not asking serious questions.

Anyone who goes to Koh Tao and spends money, is supporting the mafia.

• Like 1

On an island?

Really?

Sure, the borders of an island are porous, all manner of boats come and go at all times of day and night.

Get <deleted> real CM.

With CCTV footage of the area?

With DNA evidence from two attackers?

This is <deleted>.

On an island?

Really?

MJ,

Murder weapons and physical evidence are great if the suspects prints and DNA are already in the system; however, when they are unknown to law enforcement then these items simply help to attach a future suspect to the crime. Unless the evidence left behind was the attackers phone or wallet perhaps.

Okay, let's sample all the womens DNA first then.

Good idea?

Let's exclude Thai's because no Thai could have done this.

Standard operating procedure?

This is obfuscation beyond anything even my cynical mind could believe.

Edited by MJP

This is what happens if you take a convicted pedo seriosuly, i told the whole forum he was a glory hunter from day one.

Can you please explain the photo he took in the middle of the night of the guy from the ac bar with an off duty copper??

Why were they in the shop with him?

Surely if they thought he was guilty the police would of arrested him (in uniform!), and not with a civilian as part of the arresting party!!

On an island?

Really?

Of course it's not possible to completely close off an island but what you can do, and what should have been done, is to stop all the ferry services and cut down the number of people coming and going to just small vessels. DNA test everyone remaining on the island and if no matches, you know it must have been one of the handful or so of people who left on a small boat.

I could not think of anything more worrying than if the press were not permitted to run with information they receive (after it is properly assessed, usually by checking with the police investigators). It would be extremely dangerous if, as clutch and others of his disingenuous ilk seem to suggest, the press were restricted to info provided only by the police. You don't need to be an Einstein to understand why. In the course of reporting on a major crime, a journalist often stumbles upon information that the police do not have. Hardly surprising - some people want to tell the truth but are afraid of the police. Experienced crime reporters will check it with the police and only hold off on publishing it if investigators believe it could jeopardise their probe. But only for so long, because it is the public's right to know and assess that info. Professional police understand this and deal with it accordingly. They also do not blame others for their incompetence, or try to shift the focus from their own failings (deliberate or otherwise) - usually because the watchdog press will not let them.

One can be 99 % sure that somebody knows the truth on the little " paradise " island.

I hope it will be boycotted big time.

I hope also that some of the friends of the victims , who were there that night , speak to the media , and tell the world what they know.

...Of course it may be entirely possible that some pyrate types came with a boat, did the horrific deed and fled to the sea... But, it's just possible and not likely....