Britons' murder: Police claim Koh Tao investigation hindered by media

webfact

How long do murder investigations take in your countries?

I guess from your posts every brutal crime is solved immediately back home with 100% success rate.

If the murders took place on a tiny island, and the island was 'locked down' they would be solved very quickly. You DNA every single person on the island without exceptions. Instead of letting people leave on the first ferry to freedom!
What country do you live in?

Even in thailand it is against the law for the police to demand DNA samples of every resident.

"Pol Maj Gen Suwat, who is one of the best investigators at the MPB, defended the mass collection of DNA samples, saying police were not doing it simply at their own will but would be on persons who were suspected otherwise it could infringe on the rights and freedom of the people which is against the law."

This country is still in martial law. So those rights you are quoting can be legally violated at the whim of the police/army.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One can be 99 % sure that somebody knows the truth on the little " paradise " island.

I hope it will be boycotted big time.

I hope also that some of the friends of the victims , who were there that night , speak to the media , and tell the world what they know.

...Of course it may be entirely possible that some pyrate types came with a boat, did the horrific deed and fled to the sea... But, it's just possible and not likely....

Ask the poster CornishCarlos this question.

• Like 1

The clearance rate for murder, ie the rate of arrest and conviction, by any police force in the world, is rarely more than 60% (the UK is exceptional however in that their clearance rate is 95% during 2013). That means that even in the US, some 40% of murders go unsolved.

I doubt that the clearance rate of the Thai police force is that much different from that of other countries in SE Asia.

On an island?

With victims found within hours of death?

With murder weapons and physical evidence strewn around?

Really?

Sure, the borders of an island are porous, all manner of boats come and go at all times of day and night.

Get <deleted> real CM.

With CCTV footage of the area?

With DNA evidence from two attackers?

This is <deleted>.

Yes on an Island, specially this specific island. It's far from the first time that a murder on Koh Tao remain unsolved, even in cases where people was killed in public in broad daylight.

The clearance rate for murder, ie the rate of arrest and conviction, by any police force in the world, is rarely more than 60% (the UK is exceptional however in that their clearance rate is 95% during 2013). That means that even in the US, some 40% of murders go unsolved.

I doubt that the clearance rate of the Thai police force is that much different from that of other countries in SE Asia.

On an island?

Really?

Sure, the borders of an island are porous, all manner of boats come and go at all times of day and night.

Get real CM.

This is .

Yes on an Island, specially this specific island. It's far from the first time that a murder on Koh Tao remain unsolved, even in cases where people was killed in public in broad daylight.

It's the same on Koh Samet. Broad daylight murder.

I also remember Thai's running round waving pistols about in front of tourists on the pier, broad daylight. My UK family witnessed this spectacle and decided to go to the airport. International departures. Never to return.

• Like 1

Now the police are blaming the Media for their ineptness This is a joke.

They do not have the ability to investigate a murder like this Way out of their league.

Stop the lunacy and ask for FBI help in solving this crime before you wipe out the evidence and blame the media

Funny how they don't normally see the media as a distraction. Turn on the TV news on any Thai channel and what do you see ? 50-70% of all reporting shows Police involvement in one way or another; they love to be in the limelight showing how clever they are for arresting lowlife's and parading them on National TV.

Of course, the double murder of two innocent foreign tourists (no matter what clothes they were wearing) brings in a far more critical foreign press who want answers, answers that they cannot provide without bluster and lies owing to their own shortcomings when it comes to the solving of serious crime. In this particular case the RTP have failed miserably from the start; destruction of crime scene, failure to shut down the Island before would be suspects escaped and so on but this is nothing new, as even if it were two Thai's that had been murdered the case would have been bodged in the same way as they are incapable of doing the job properly.

Now so much time has passed and the top brass have told so many stories about 'having enough evidence' and 'arrests will follow in a few days' and such like, people, especially foreign people, want clear and honest answers. Sadly, preserving 'face' and carrying on in the usual ways of 'Thainess' are all that concern those in authority and now the heat is on they must point the finger of blame at anyone they can because the horrid truth is they are no nearer to catching the perpetrators than they were on the first day.

• Like 1

Without the media especially from overseas this case would have been buried in the sand with all the vital evidence, we all know the local olive are in the back pockets of the local mafia / village headman whatever you want to call them ,it is the same on the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Samui. Normally it is Thai killing Thai but this case was different two young holiday makers were killed for no reason at all. This investigation has shown what the Thai police are " COWBOYS " still living in the Wild West .

• Like 1

After solving this case, Sean was right to leave the country asap. His life was in grave danger for exposing the truth.

As for the police rubbishing his story, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I think the world now understands why no witnesses rushed forward!

The truth? LOL

He said mafia threatened him with death!

That was clearly BS, why would they threaten some pedo loser instead of killing him right on the spot. Since they're the mafia they can do whatever they want on the island, which mafia would let you take a picture of them and let you surf on FB!

Mafia people can be dangerous...and also stupid. That was show by the bar owner offering big money to the police if its prove that him and his family was involved ...and not for the police or somebody to solve the crime....Any professional criminal profiler will find that action a prove of complicity.This guy knows very well that the real criminals are not in the island anymore and never will be found alive....I believe that Sean is telling the truth because no foreigner will ask for Thai police protection and getting in the middle of a crime invesigation without a good reason.

Now is very clear that Interpol or UK Police will be called, and will look into Sean's reportings...

Edited by umbanda

Rather than investigation the police seem to be intent right from the start, on blame shifting...first it was racial, then the victims and now it's the media's fault.

I've said in earlier post that apart form the apparent ineptitude in investigating a serious crime the police have sown a singularly poor performance in handling the media with press statements left right and centre with apparently no coordinated press policy.

i would have thought that in view of the overall perception of the investigations at present the last thing they would want to do is alienate the media.

Edited by wilcopops

Rather than investigation the police seem to be intent right from the start, on blame shifting...first it was racial, then the victims and now it's the media's fault.

I've said in earlier post that apart form the apparent ineptitude in investigating a serious crime the police have sown a singularly poor performance in handling the media with press statements left right and centre with apparently no coordinated press policy.

It is not an investigation. It's an obfuscation.

• Like 1

On an island?

Really?

Get <deleted> real CM.

This is <deleted>.

Calm down dear, you're doing yourself no good!

Everyone can imagine all manner of scenarios, some a bit far fetched but hey, it's a free world. But the one scenario I haven't seen yet is whereby one of the many teams of fishermen who ply their trade at night, (have you ever flown over the Gulf of Thailand at night and seen the thousands of lights from the fishing boats) came ashore for whatever reason and an opportunity presented itself. Job done they returned to ply their trade. The downside to this theory is that it doesn't involve mafia, powerful families, payoffs and police incompetence and it doesn't have that "zing" of a good conspiracy theory, never mind, can't have it all.

• Like 1

On an island?

Really?

Get real CM.

This is .

Everyone can imagine all manner of scenarios, some a bit far fetched but hey, it's a free world. But the one scenario I haven't seen yet is whereby one of the many teams of fishermen who ply their trade at night, (have you ever flown over the Gulf of Thailand at night and seen the thousands of lights from the fishing boats) came ashore for whatever reason and an opportunity presented itself. Job done they returned to ply their trade. The downside to this theory is that it doesn't involve mafia, powerful families, payoffs and police incompetence and it doesn't have that "zing" of a good conspiracy theory, never mind, can't have it all.

You live in denial. Face it.

There is one thing I do understand - if someone provides a lead - journalist or anybody - the police probably has to do something about it. If they do not and it is found to be a good lead then the police really suffers. i can easily sympahize for the police - regardless of the location in the world.

On an island?

Really?

Get real CM.

This is .

I'm sorry, I haven't been taking these threads very seriously, mostly because there's a strong hint of "the pack" mentality about them with far too many posters being critical of things about which they know almost nothing - it's a substitute for daytime TV soaps!

So when I ask you to explain, what exactly it is I'm "in denial", of, it's a serious question, please.

How long do murder investigations take in your countries?

I guess from your posts every brutal crime is solved immediately back home with 100% success rate.

It's not the length of time that is the main problem, it is the way the investigation has been handled that is of concern.

• Like 1

On an island?

Really?

Get real CM.

This is .

I'm sorry, I haven't been taking these threads very seriously, mostly because there's a strong hint of "the pack" mentality about them with far too many posters being critical of things about which they know almost nothing - it's a substitute for daytime TV soaps!

So when I ask you to explain, what exactly it is I'm "in denial", of, it's a serious question, please.

You'll figure it out. You're a clever man.

With so much intense international scrutiny it's hard for those in the loop to keep it together- including family members and locals alike.As the murder case progresses scattershot in every direction the tale changes more than the tide-every day.If not for this media focus things could be put away, papers signed and even more "paper" handed over.But now in their' eyes " this mess on the beach" has, reached national proportions under the world foreign presses microscope and what's going on inside the petri-dish is not the prefered reality that Thailand wishes to be seen... bringing pressure to bear on this nascent psudomilitary state the encumbants of which have just begun a bold anti-corruption drive and purportedly strongly advocate transparency in policy and process must be reminded that the Media merely witness and access AND long may they keep digging! the big question is and is always going to be ...Tribe or Truth?

• Like 1

So they were hindered by mainly British media in doing their job??

When was the last time, you met a Thai policeman who speaks and read English??

Living up to the new slogan: "The Thai way........." It is always someone elses fault!!

• Like 2

http://mikeestravels.com/2014/09/25/the-dark-side-of-thailands-island-paradise/

This is the best link to read on what has been happening on Koh Tao.

To the people on Koh Tao, both foreign and Thai: by not cooperating and remaining silent, the victims' blood is on your hands, too.

Edited by falangjim
  • Like 2

"Police had to waste their time following leads from these rumours," Pol.Gen. Somyot told reporters yesterday."

No they didn't. They could have ignored them and carried on doing their job.

Oh sure, and then accused by every one of you guys for not following up on a lead from the Press.

Thai police are screwed either way by TV posters. Dam**d if they do and dam**d if they don't.

Both of you should already know it is the responsibility of an investigator to follow up on ANY lead.

This is typical Thai behavior to lay the blame for their own ineptness and incompetence on somebody other than themselves. Thai culture teaches them to save face by any means even at the expense of others.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Everybody is a genius about what constitutes Thai behavior.

I had never realized all Thai are identical.

I suppose its like Farang, eh? Brits are identical everywhere with identical motivations. Americans the same.

There is no individual thought and no unique identity amongst anyone in your books. If you have met one Thai then you have met them all, eh?

In my 8 years of living here, I'd say Yes, that pretty much sums it up.

• Like 1

"Thai police have accused foreign journalists and social media users of muddling their ongoing investigation into the murder of two British tourists in southern Thailand last week."

This is WHY there is an investigation.

Thai police have a reputation with both foreigners and Thai, for avoiding investigations by dismissing cases solely on police speculation. For example the case of the Russian suicide. The guy was stabbed in the chest seven times! BUT ... There was no sign of an altercation so it was suicide. Case closed.