Thai Buddhism explained

ByblosYuNaiSoi

Hi,

I have been thoroughly perplexed by the huge diversity of religious expression in Thailand. It's Buddhism plus a whole lot more.

This site [ http://www.thaibuddhism.net/ ] offers a really good and comprehensive explanation of all the things. Here is the opening paragraph:

a.jpgfter examining several websites attempting to address the topic of Buddhism in Thailand, the Center for Southeast Asian Studies at Northern Illinois University contacted us for assistance. This website was developed to meet the needs of students and teachers of various levels with a growing curiosity about Thai Buddhism.

Happy looking, and seeing.

• Like 2

The site is interesting and informative. However, when confronted with the plethora of different views and opinions on the nature of Buddhism, whatever sect of Buddhism we're referring to, I can't help coming back to the Kalama Sutta (not to be confused with the Karma Sutra wink.png ).

Here is my preferred translation of The Kalama Sutta, Angutarra Nikaya 3.65, Sutta Pitaka, Pali Canon.

1. Do not believe in something merely because it is reported.

2. Do not believe in something because it has been practiced by generations, or has become a tradition or part of a culture.

3. Do not believe in something because a scripture says it is so.

4. Do not believe in something because you believe a God has inspired it.

5. Do not believe in something because a teacher tells you it is so.

6. Do not believe in something because the authorities say it is so.

7. Do not believe in hearsay, rumour, speculative opinion, or acceptance to logic and inference alone.

8. Help yourself accept as completely true only that which is praised by the wise and which you test for yourself and know to be good for yourself and others.

In my view, this sutta deserves far more attention that it gets. The reason it doesn't get more attention, I suspect, is because it's difficult to control people who think for themselves.

People who 'think for themselves' are as prone to delusions/hate/greed/ignorance as the ones that don't.

A statement that might be considered true only by those who don't think for themselves. wink.png

Hi Vincent.

There's a bit of truth in what Vinnie was attempting to convey.

A work colleague was pointing out some of my un Buddhist flaws which I display.

I then indicated to him that professing to follow the Buddhas teaching doesn't make me any different to anyone else.

My only advantage is that I have a road map and system of practice which can assist me to eventually alter my state.

Unfortunately, in the mean time, I must contend with a myriad of un Buddhist like personal flaws, conditioning and habits (delusions/hate/greed/ignorance).

People who 'think for themselves' are as prone to delusions/hate/greed/ignorance as the ones that don't.

A statement that might be considered true only by those who don't think for themselves. wink.png

Hi Vincent.

There's a bit of truth in what Vinnie was attempting to convey.

A work colleague was pointing out some of my un Buddhist flaws which I display.

I then indicated to him that professing to follow the Buddhas teaching doesn't make me any different to anyone else.

My only advantage is that I have a road map and system of practice which can assist me to eventually alter my state.

Unfortunately, in the mean time, I must contend with a myriad of un Buddhist like personal flaws, conditioning and habits (delusions/hate/greed/ignorance).

Hi Rocky,

One should bear in mind that a road map is a passive thing and is only of real benefit to someone who thinks for himself whilst considering the information and advice contained within the road map. To put into practice any system that one has given no thought to, is to act blindly like a slave who always obeys his master's orders whatever such orders may be.

The fact that you are contending with what you describe as 'a myriad of un-Buddhist-like personal flaws' implies at the very least that you have given some thought to such matters in order to determine that you have personal characteristics which you consider as flaws in relation to certain Buddhist principles.

Without thinking for yourself you might blindly continue on your path, completely oblivious to the fact that you might have personal flaws which need addressing.

Once again the kalama sutta gets twisted and misunderstood....

The Buddha was teaching those who had been confused by several teachers all teaching conflicting things.

He said ... 'do not follow or believe a teacher simply because ....' (followed by several examples)

you ...as many... have changed it to ... 'do not believe in something ....'

Blindly following the crowd ... you will only end up in Tesco..

Even the Buddha's own teaching he did not say to blindly accept without testing it.

If after testing you find it leads to peace, harmony, freedom from suffering .. then accept it.

• Like 2

Once again the kalama sutta gets twisted and misunderstood....

The Buddha was teaching those who had been confused by several teachers all teaching conflicting things.

He said ... 'do not follow or believe a teacher simply because ....' (followed by several examples)

you ...as many... have changed it to ... 'do not believe in something ....'

Blindly following the crowd ... you will only end up in Tesco..

Even the Buddha's own teaching he did not say to blindly accept without testing it.

If after testing you find it leads to peace, harmony, freedom from suffering .. then accept it.

Indeed! However, in my view, this situation of confusion experienced by the Kalamas is now far more widespread today that it would have been 2,500 years ago. During the time of Gautama there was only one 'so-called' Buddhist sect, and that consisted of the real-time teachings and sayings of Gautama. Nowadays there are a number of different Buddhist sects, as well as a number of new religions such as Christianity and Islam, and in addition a plethora of 'so-called' authoritative opinions on almost any subject you can think of, that are widely broadcast in the media, the radio, the TV, the libraries and the schools.

Life for the Kalamas would have been relatively simple, with the occasional visit from different Sadhus espousing their own unique views on correct behaviour. In my view, it did the Kalamas credit that they questioned the veracity of conflicting opinions and advice, and the Buddha's response, as reported, was impressive.

When I first came across the Kalama Sutta, I thought 'Wow!'. To think, this advice was delivered 2,500 years ago, and is essentially an expression of the foundational principles of the 'Scientific Method'. That just amazed me.

One can always quibble about the significance of the slightly different emphasis of different translations. I don't really see any significant change in meaning between...'do not follow or believe a teacher simply because...', and.. 'do not believe in something simply because...', although one might consider it a bit rude to claim a teacher is 'something' rather than 'someone'. wink.png

• Like 1