Four men sought for vicious Phuket attack on Chinese tourist

webfact

Does anybody remember not so long ago a father beheaded his son. The son hate raped his own mother and beat up his father and I think he killed his sister.

When the father was asked why he did it he said, " I wanted to see what sort of brains a monster like my son could have."

If I were asked to sum the Thai people up in a nutshell I would say, " No fear of repercussion and no sense of morality."

Others of course would not agree with me.

I've long thought the Thais a tribe, playing at being a nation.

Interesting point. A friend of mine said the best way to understand Thailand is to consider the fact that they are only one generation removed from a nearly complete tribal existence. I am sure the hi-so people would argue, but their opinion does not really count. Since when do we listen to the 1%? I for one, do not give a damn about their opinion.

• Like 1

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder how the Thai apologists will spin this one.

eh ? What is a 'thai apologist' ? Someone who doesn't feel the need to racially abuse them every day ?

Violence happens everywhere, all over the world - you would need to be certifiably insane to go out in some areas after dark in London or New York so whats your point ?

TV mods - the daily racist undertones are getting ridiculous - its about time you stepped up and followed your own rules !!!

How does saying that Thais are <deleted> up make one racist?

• Like 2

eh ? What is a 'thai apologist' ? Someone who doesn't feel the need to racially abuse them every day ?

Violence happens everywhere, all over the world - you would need to be certifiably insane to go out in some areas after dark in London or New York so whats your point ?

TV mods - the daily racist undertones are getting ridiculous - its about time you stepped up and followed your own rules !!!

Although I whole-heatedly agree the racist undertones have really surfaced since the KT beach killings, I think it is a very naive and over-simplification to suggest this violence happens everywhere. Please do show me the headlines of this random violence of 4 on 1 against a tourist in other nations' headlines. (Not the Thai newspaper that cant be named).

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/06/spanish-tourists-acapulco-raped-gunpoint

These shit statements are becoming ALL TO COMMON albeit here or wherever.....

The mayor of Acapulco, Luis Walton, was later forced to apologise after he said the attack was "regrettable" because it would damage the city's image, but it "could have happened anywhere".

Admittedly, this happened elsewhere but Thailand to me personally seems to set have the pace of late being the forerunner to beat the shit out of farangs to steal money through any means of intimidation. No use me being slated by any Thai apologists. Since, you too, of late have been kicked off your perch and no longer being a recognised virtual highly experienced force to be reckoned with here on TV.

Edited by GlaswegianTam

I have never read anything that has said Thailand forces tourists to come to Thailand. Buyer beware.

That's nonsense. I sincerely doubt you would take such an attitude if a tourist in your own country was viciously attacked. They specifically attacked him because of his ethnicity. Anywhere else that would be considered a hate crime.

These violent attacks on people are the root cause of the decline in Tourists to Thailand.

if you were a Chinese National today, ( or any other Nationality ). would you feel like booking your annual vacation to Phuket, or any other Thai resort.? - I know I would not.

• Like 1

So, 8 pages of comments and no one has yet brought up what seem's like a major point (correct me if I'm wrong I skimmed most pages): the reason these illegal tour guides exist is because the Thai ones are not acceptable for a (large?) number of Tourists; both Chinese language problems and lack of education re the history are factors. So this fellow is "Illegal" in the same sense that an English teacher on a tourist visa is "illegal." It appears he's providing a similar amount of expertise as a native English speaker who has actually studied his language and/or the pedagogy of teaching it.

So the approach of these Thai guides to the problem of offering an unacceptable level of tour-guiding to Chinese tourists, which gap is filled by some Chinese, is to go out and based on looks attack a Chinese guy with iron bars--who isn't even one of the "bad" guys! Except he's "illegal." Is every other occupation practiced by foreign (semi-) experts at risk of similar responses to the competition and.they offer?

You need to read it more thoroughly--this guy just got off the plane and had just arrived at his brothers residence, and his brother is an unlicensed guide. It is possible this victim was going to become a guide but there is no suggestion of that in any of the report.

Although I whole-heatedly agree the racist undertones have really surfaced since the KT beach killings, I think it is a very naive and over-simplification to suggest this violence happens everywhere. Please do show me the headlines of this random violence of 4 on 1 against a tourist in other nations' headlines. (Not the Thai newspaper that cant be named).
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/06/spanish-tourists-acapulco-raped-gunpoint

I was talking First World destinations.

Obviously Mexico is unsafe.

Why do threads like this always follow the same routine, with many people commenting about how bad Thailand is and the Thais are.

Do you live here, if so, why?

burnt bridges, children, got used to the incompetence, stupidity , corruption, violence, the scamming etc. whatever

Absolute scum. Thais find it convenient to work all over the world including owning houses and land 100% in their name but like to keep quiet about that. At the same time never welcoming the world to their country to live and work properly. And the result? why don't they just take a look around them: Open drains, poverty, corruption, no free speech and appalling human rights. Wouldn't a reasonable person think "This isn't working"? and do something about it?

Please let this story run and run in the Chinese press.

Fortunately he was wearing normal clothes I presume.

When the Chinese get onboard with this and decide thailand is too dangerous and there are safer and more fun places to go...and the desire to go to places seen in movies wears off....there will be a vacuum of tourism money from the many Chinese visitors.

Way to go thai thugs for not caring a bit about your country and it's image to the world....

Yet again, all they care about is their precious tourist industry and their image to the outside world. Are the police really so stupid that they don't realise how they come across in interviews or do they just not care?? It just shows how little they really do think of us and the contempt they have for us. THEY HATE US, THEY LOVE OUR MONEY, it's that simple

• Like 2

Why don't the Thai Tourism Authority train official guides for visiting groups?

They could set up a special school, only accepting those with fluency in a foreign language and customs.

The school should be open to any nationality where they could get the knowledge of Thai culture, places etc.

It would be a great investment for Thailand. Looking after this valuable commodity would pay huge dividends.

Thai people would be eligible only if they had true bi-lingual skills. e.g. children of foreigners would be ideal.

This is the only way to ensure that tourists have a half - pleasant visit and propagate the tourist industry.

Leaving it to local thugs and idiots to "guide" unsuspecting tourists into gem shop scams and the like

must do enormous damage to Thailand's already soiled reputation.

I guess Western ideas like this would fall on deaf ears?

Hopefully the military will read this and do something constructive ..

but they do have a hell of a lot on their plate right now.whistling.gif

"Leaving it to local thugs and idiots to "guide" unsuspecting tourists into gem shop scams and the like, must do enormous damage to Thailand's already soiled reputation." wai2.gifwai.gif

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

You are referring to real work, that takes vision, intelligence, planning, and follow through. All qualities the people at the tourism ministry lack. Thailand has had little talent in that department for years. Really all they do is make pronouncements, do trade fairs, sign up for some advertising here and there, and hold conferences. If the government was set up as a meritocracy, there is a chance they could attract some talent. But, as long as the ministers keep getting the positions due to the assistance they offered during the election campaign, or the money they donated to the campaign, or who they know, or what their family name is, they will continue to attract people without talent or a flair for promoting tourism. Keep it up. A crony system pretty much insures mediocrity on every level. If the objective is, to remain mediocre, the current system assures that outcome.

Post removed - rule 7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Post removed - rule 9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion

How much more of this will go on before the Thai community/Govt. start taking action.

Where is the violence stemming from?

What steps are made to resolve the issues?

attachicon.gifWelcome-to-Thailand-Meet-and-beat-you.png

It's called xenophobia, and it's endemic in Thailand at the moment.

yeah but there's a good cream you can buy.

end of next week, no arrest, no more reports in the press, no more posts on this in TV.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Grow hair, and get a hairstyle. That will differentiate you from other people.

Ridiculous comment.

How would he know how the illegal tourist guide competitors in a foreign country might look so he can make sure to differentiate himself from em o.O

What's next? Don't have white skin, so you can differentiate yourself from farang.

Now that is a racist comment. cheesy.gif

That brings us back to square one. I love it here. I have a very good life here. I love most Thai people, and the quality of life is excellent, by my standards. So, a little incident like this, or the nasty one in Koh Tao is not going to discourage me on any level.

I agree entirely. Stay away from the seedy tourist traps where one is most likely to get into trouble and get into the countryside where the real Thailand is and where Thai people are at their very best.

I sincerely hope that some of the comments posted here find their way back to the current admisistration, particularly those about the RTP. Sack the lot, recruit again and have them all trained o/seas and never to be posted to one place longer than two years.