No new bank accounts for old men?

I went to my bank today to open a new account. I already have an account there that I opened a few years ago when I was still working and had a work permit. I now stay in Thailand based on retirement and therefore no longer have a work permit.

I wanted to open a second account at the same bank to do that thing with keeping most of my money in the account without ATM access and only a small amount in the account with ATM access, with the intention of transferring money from one to the other as needed, for security reasons. I got a big surprise when I was told by my bank that I could not open an account without a work permit - even though I already have an existing account at that same bank.

I then visited several other banks in the neighborhood to ask what documents I would need to open an account. They all said that I needed a work permit. I wonder what I would have done if I hadn't already had a bank account? What would a person do if he had just come to Thailand and wanted to extend his visa based on retirement, which requires an 800,000 baht deposit, if it is not possible to open a bank account without a work permit? It seems to me that somebody didn't think this rule through. Does anybody have any suggested solutions to this problem? Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This comes up quite a lot and I ve been on the receiving end as well having opened accs while on a work permit then no longer working. So not just you (dirty) old men ;)

3 possible solutions worked for me

1. Explain you are no longer working. Then offer a copy of your long term visa or extension. More often than not they just want to see you see are long stay compared to a tourist. Mine is based on marriage and has usually been fine.

2. See if you can open an account online with same bank. Some banks let you do this if you already have one acc.

3. As others have said go elsewhere. Do show your long term visa or extension tho.

Stan Chart for example wont accep the visa on entry or 30 days. They do accept a long term 1 year) visa or extension.

Cheers

Fletch :)

2. See if you can open an account online with same bank. Some banks let you do this if you already have one acc.

What Thai bank offer such a service? Seems you may know of some? Thanks.

I opened my Stan Chart esavers this way also for the kids under their name by me.

It s only an online account no passbook and no ATM. Hence the esaver name. Interest is relatively good at 2.5%. So would suit people looking for a second account with decent interest to park money while keeping another acc for smaller balance and ATM.

TMB also have an acc opening facility online. Lets you choose the type of acc eg no fixed saving acc at 2.25%. A Thai could also open an ME at 2.75% online

Cheers

Fletch:)

I opened my Stan Chart esavers this way also for the kids under their name by me.

It s only an online account no passbook and no ATM. Hence the esaver name. Interest is relatively good at 2.5%. So would suit people looking for a second account with decent interest to park money while keeping another acc for smaller balance and ATM.

TMB also have an acc opening facility online. Lets you choose the type of acc eg no fixed saving acc at 2.25%. A Thai could also open an ME at 2.75% online

Cheers

Thanks. By chance do you know which TMB webpage contains info about opening such an account online. From some googling and surfing around on the TMB website I came up dry...probably right under my nose but I can't find it. I saw some google references about using the TMB site of www.tmbdirect.com but that seems to be their website for people to logon to their TMB internet banking...for people who already have TMB accounts.

Cheers

Thanks. By chance do you know which TMB webpage contains info about opening such an account online. From some googling and surfing around on the TMB website I came up dry...probably right under my nose but I can't find it. I saw some google references about using the TMB site of www.tmbdirect.com but that seems to be their website for people to logon to their TMB internet banking...for people who already have TMB accounts.

Can't find a link that tells you you can open online. Think we've covered before that websites for (Thai) banks don't always set out all the features, rules and regulations, and aren't always updated {One particular TV poster springs to mind in not believing anything unless it is written on the website laugh.png}

All I can say is I already had a "no fee account" with TMB. I opened this as people usually do by going to the bank. I subsequently opened a "no fixed account" online. All I needed to do was click on the apply/account opening button, choose the account click, it then sent an OTP message to my handphone. I put in the OTP 6 digit number, click again and the account is open. Can do in under a minute. It then gives a message to say its complete and if I want to collect a passbook, please bring my ID to any branch.

Here's the account I opened online

https://www.tmbbank.com/personal/deposits/nofixed/tmb-no-fixed-account-en.php

Here's the one I had open already:

https://www.tmbbank.com/personal/deposits/savings/savings-nofee-en.php

So that's two banks: SCB and TMB I've opened accounts online once I already had an account. Fletchsmile Solution No.2 smile.png

There are other banks I believe

Cheers

• Like 2

Ok...thanks....having an account open at your Thai bank appears to be the key for those Thai banks that do offer such products. I was really interested if a person could open a Thai bank account at bank XYZ purely online if he didn't already have an account there as things do change. Thanks again.

if you have a work permit you must know at least one influential Thai person. Just ask them if they will help you open another bank account. I was helped by a well off Thai person who simply rang the manager and told him to help me. I got VIP treatment and the staff were all running around like headless chooks opening my bank account in record timelaugh.png

• Like 2

Ok...thanks....having an account open at your Thai bank appears to be the key for those Thai banks that do offer such products. I was really interested if a person could open a Thai bank account at bank XYZ purely online if he didn't already have an account there as things do change. Thanks again.

I believe the answer to that one is no. This will be for KYC/AML check control reasons.

The closest I have seen to that is TMB's ME account - almost there but not quite.

It is only available to Thais. You can fill in all the forms online, based on your ID card, and as long as you have an account with any other bank (doesn't have to be TMB) my wife used her Stan Chart bank account details. All the forms and instructions of course are in Thai. You select internet ID and password etc as well. It takes about 5-10 mins. You get an sms to say congratulations on completing the registration, but as a final step to complete the account opening you still have to go into a ME branch of TMB (there are 5 such branches) if you are not an existing customer of TMB.

Here's the link to the website:

https://www.mebytmb.com/home

and here's the link where after clicking on open a bank acc (in Thai) requirement number 2 says an account at any bank (in Thai lang)

https://secure.mebytmb.com/efs/servlet/efs/th_TH/jsp-ns/open-account-intro-to-open-account.jsp

Amazing really how they link into all your Thai details via your Thai ID number and then link into your other bank. So almost there smile.png

BTW When my wife did hers she asked "what are all these questions about Americans for? Why are they asking me this? Yes... even an annoying FATCA form online laugh.png

BTW2 One of the best rates on the market at the moment: 2.75% and 3% in first month smile.png

If you're married to a Thai worth considering.

Didn't bother posting it originally to OP as it won't be applicable as a foreigner. But as you asked if you could open purely online... not quite:

- Yes if already have an account at some banks

- Yes but only to registration stage at ME by TMB if you're Thai and have at least one other Thai bank somewhere else

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

if you have a work permit you must know at least one influential Thai person. Just ask them if they will help you open another bank account. I was helped by a well off Thai person who simply rang the manager and told him to help me. I got VIP treatment and the staff were all running around like headless chooks opening my bank account in record timelaugh.png

Doesn't necessarily have to be a Thai, could be an influential foreigner working in the bank too laugh.png

Cheers

• Like 1

If you are in BKK try the Bangkok Bank Branch in Sukhumvit just down from Emporium. I have been told it is the head branch but i don't know about that but i had no problems there where as some of the smaller branches had "Cannot" tattooed across their foreheads.

Read the OP again.

Go back in a week and talk to someone else and they will probably do want you want.

Bangkok bank on Soy 11 Nana, has been so short handed lately their security guard is helping servicing customers and he speaks no English!

Remarkable.

• Like 1

While billions of baht being syphoned out by scam artists and con man because of their blaze

and out dated technology, they deny a law abiding gentleman from opening a small bank account,

When god handed out logics and sensibility to the people of the world, Thais were the very last

in that queue...

• Like 1

Go to the bank you want and don't leave until you get an account. Make sure you are clear you have a Non-O as that satisfies most Thai banks for a simple savings account. Don't move from the chair until you get the correct result. Keep your cool so when they finally do call someone and get the correct answer, they don't lose too much face and act even more stupid.

Edit: It might be useful to re-certify/update the account you have now since your Imm status has changed from working to retired. Dunno, just a thought.

Edited by 55Jay

If you are in BKK try the Bangkok Bank Branch in Sukhumvit just down from Emporium. I have been told it is the head branch but i don't know about that but i had no problems there where as some of the smaller branches had "Cannot" tattooed across their foreheads.

If there is such a thing as a head branch it's the branch on the 1st floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Road. Big branch with many farang customers. I have 3 accounts there...I only have a retitement extension of stay.

• Like 1

I believe the answer to that one is no. This will be for KYC/AML check control reasons.

The closest I have seen to that is TMB's ME account - almost there but not quite.

It is only available to Thais. You can fill in all the forms online, based on your ID card, and as long as you have an account with any other bank (doesn't have to be TMB) my wife used her Stan Chart bank account details. All the forms and instructions of course are in Thai. You select internet ID and password etc as well. It takes about 5-10 mins. You get an sms to say congratulations on completing the registration, but as a final step to complete the account opening you still have to go into a ME branch of TMB (there are 5 such branches) if you are not an existing customer of TMB.

Here's the link to the website:

https://www.mebytmb.com/home

and here's the link where after clicking on open a bank acc (in Thai) requirement number 2 says an account at any bank (in Thai lang)

https://secure.mebytmb.com/efs/servlet/efs/th_TH/jsp-ns/open-account-intro-to-open-account.jsp

Amazing really how they link into all your Thai details via your Thai ID number and then link into your other bank. So almost there smile.png

BTW When my wife did hers she asked "what are all these questions about Americans for? Why are they asking me this? Yes... even an annoying FATCA form online laugh.png

BTW2 One of the best rates on the market at the moment: 2.75% and 3% in first month smile.png

If you're married to a Thai worth considering.

Didn't bother posting it originally to OP as it won't be applicable as a foreigner. But as you asked if you could open purely online... not quite:

- Yes if already have an account at some banks

- Yes but only to registration stage at ME by TMB if you're Thai and have at least one other Thai bank somewhere else

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Had to add all the tax reporting to a Canadian system a few years back for all US citizens. It usually breaks down into two groups - some institutions will not open an account for you if you are American (too much hassle) and others will if you give them a social insurance number and they will do the tax remittance / reporting to the IRS just as any other American bank would.

• Like 1

Get a different bank!

I'm retired and I have several accounts at Bangkok Bank.

Three weeks ago I opened a fourth savings account, no problem whatsoever and got another Be1st card 7 days later.

Branch is Kad Suan Kaew, Chiang Mai

NB I went with a retired friend (62) to Kaisikorn Airport Plaza, he wanted to open an account 500,000

They have 'a greeter' who asked to see work permit and said not possible....twice!

I walked over to the counter and explained what he wanted.

Apparently no-one told the 'greeter' that it's OK for long term renewal holders.

Account completed with ATM in 15 minutes

Good point. Those greeters are a pain in the arse. I think they get the job because they don't have the brains to work behind the counter - or maybe they go on looks or ability to speak English (yeah, yeah, don't laugh).

I went for the bank letter to certify by bank balance for retirement extension renewal and the bimbo greeter tells me I have to go to the branch my account is based at in Pattaya. Funny, done it at the same branch in Jomtien for years.

So I pressed my own button and got my own ticket number and sat down. The bimbo is telling my missus it can't be done. My number came up immediately, I was out in 10 minutes with the letter. Bimbo fuming as I gave her a big grin and a thankyou as I walked out the door.

We had a similar experience when we wanted to get our Truemove bill debited directly from our bank. The wife had on the wrong shoes (dirty and bitten by the dog). The lady looked at these shoes pointedly a couple of times and then said she would call us. Still waiting after two months. Meanwhile we have set things up at another office.

I came up against the same problem as op. They would not let me open another a/c. I went online and used the banks (Kasikorn) live webchat to customer service. I explained to them what I wanted and they told me yes I could have another a/c with no atm card to "park" my money, just go into my branch and ask. I told them I did not have a work permit just a retirement visa, no problem they said, just go to your branch. I then told them that I had been refused, "ahhh, there is nothing we can do as it is up to the individual branch" So I just went back asked a different person and they opened another a/c for me.

I really do think it is the luck of the draw and the ability of the clerk to speak/understand English. I always have problems as well when I need the bank letter for my extention, they are totally confused and just dont know what to do. So my advice is just keep trying