No new bank accounts for old men?

I have three bank accounts in Thailand and have never had a work permit.

The first one I opened was with the Bangkok Bank, in the country, and they would not do this without a yellow book.

I was going to open one with the Kasokorn in Pattaya a long time ago and if I could give them an address in Pattaya it would have been opened with no fuss, but being honest I gave them my correct address up country so it didn't happen.

Not sure why this is such an issue in Thailand.

My wife just lost a bank book and she has to go to the branch where the account was opened to apply for a new one, with a document from the police saying the book was lost. We live more than 400kms from Bangkok so a big trip for what, I don't know why another branch can't deal with this.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DEAR OP,

I have a similar situation, if you are from the U.S. , some banks, ie: TMB would not open any new accounts for U.S. expats due to the new reporting rules(IRS in the U.S.), they stated I could keep my accounts but also could not open any new accounts.

• Like 1

I have three bank accounts in Thailand and have never had a work permit.

The first one I opened was with the Bangkok Bank, in the country, and they would not do this without a yellow book.

I was going to open one with the Kasokorn in Pattaya a long time ago and if I could give them an address in Pattaya it would have been opened with no fuss, but being honest I gave them my correct address up country so it didn't happen.

Not sure why this is such an issue in Thailand.

My wife just lost a bank book and she has to go to the branch where the account was opened to apply for a new one, with a document from the police saying the book was lost. We live more than 400kms from Bangkok so a big trip for what, I don't know why another branch can't deal with this.

I think it's silly they still issue bank books at all, like it's 1972 and Al Gore hasn't invented the internets yet. laugh.png

From one of the well known banks in Thailand.

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank.

• Like 1

Bangkok Bank has their policy on account openings for foreigners posted on their website, clearly explaining that a work permit is not an absolute requirement (except for B visa holders) and that they will open new savings accounts for those on retirement visas and extensions, including what other documents are acceptable.

Look under the "Documents Required" tab. (That doesn't mean, however, that some branches/branch staff won't still tell you they want a work permit anyway).

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

And as mentioned above, Standard Chartered branches also seem to be amenable to farang retirees, especially their head office branch at Sathorn Rd. near the BTS Chong Nonsi station.

Beyond that, a lot depends on what location you're at, how accustomed they are to farang customers, whether the moon is full, etc etc etc.

In my experience, when confronted with refusals, it usually seems to help to not argue about the work permit issue and instead stress that you instead have a visa, retirement. And, along with that, to try to work your way past the front door greeters and such and speak instead with a manager or supervisor at the branch you're trying.

And if all that fails, try a different branch.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Thanks to all of you who commented. Some of you mentioned having opened accounts in the past on retirement visas. That is not what I was asking about - as I have done it in the past as well. What I'm talking about is NOW - i.e. within the past couple of weeks. I think this might be a new law. Have any of you tried doing it lately?

Anyway, after asking at about a dozen different branches of several different banks, I finally found one that would open an account for me. It was a different branch of the same bank where I had the original account. However, I now regret having been allowed to open that account as I was forced to fill out some forms for a foreign tax authority that made me extremely uncomfortable. But that is a topic for another thread.

I went to Kasikorn Bank with no work permit in Udon Thani and with retirement visa 4 years ago. No problems what so ever.

Bank rules change. Year by year, month by month, even day by day, branch by branch and sometimes person by person. If you go back to the same branch today there is no guarantee that you can open another account.

I opened an SCB account with a tourist visa a few years ago. The same branch will not let me open a new account (But a different SCB branch had no problem letting me open an account 1 day later.) and can't understands how I could open an account at the other branch.

YMWV

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Greeters in general know nothing.

People, usually nice voice Thai woman, know nothing who are first voice on telephone line, but have been flogged never to pass on your question to someone who REALLY knows.

PS, they do not know the word supervisor or boss in English.bah.gif

DEAR OP,

I have a similar situation, if you are from the U.S. , some banks, ie: TMB would not open any new accounts for U.S. expats due to the new reporting rules(IRS in the U.S.), they stated I could keep my accounts but also could not open any new accounts.

You are quite right that the Banks are now refusing to open accounts due to "America World Police" wanting the banks to fill in multiple forms everytime they open an account for any foreigner not just Americans. They also have to fill out forms on every transaction over a certain amount as the US is targeting money launderers, terrorists and the like. I have a Bangkok Bank Account, a mutual fund account and several time deposits. Three months ago I tried to open a new 4 month time deposit and was refused until I threatened to go to one of my friend who is a Director of Bangkok. The employee then told me that because of all the paperwork and reporting to the America World Police they tried to avoid the cost against opening and maintaining the account. We filled out 4 forms for the Americans even though I am British. Who do the Americans think they are!

I also had an account for many years with HSBC Thailand but HSBC decided to close down their retail banking operations due to the cost of reporting to the Americans every transaction over a certain amount. So it is not just U.S. Expats that the U.S. are causing problems to. Their are noises from the UK government that they may also require reporting in the future.

I also had a disagreement with one of these " greeters " who refused to give me a number. Just stood my ground and eventual saw a customer service officer and had no further problem.

Just either ignore these greeters or tell them that you come to pay some bill to get a number. It would be better if they moved the greeter to help serve customers from a desk, but customer service is something that is not in a Thai dictionary! Even if there are long queues you will always see some employees doing nothing. Thai people just accept this, but your business wil be gone quickly if you try this in any civilized country.

If you are in BKK try the Bangkok Bank Branch in Sukhumvit just down from Emporium. I have been told it is the head branch but i don't know about that but i had no problems there where as some of the smaller branches had "Cannot" tattooed across their foreheads.

--------------------------

Yes, I have two accounts there.

It is on Soi 43 Sukhumvit Road where Soi 43 intersects with Sukhumvit Road.

No, it is not the main branch of Bangkok Bank ....... That is on Silom Road, the headquarters of Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

The Sukhumvit Soi 43 branch on the left hand side of Sukhumvit, going out from the Soi Nana area and past Terminal 21 and Soi Cowboy ....... on the left side of the road. (with the traffic).

Easy to find it, as there is a Tops Supermarket on Soi 41, one Soi before Soi 43, you can't miss the Tops market parking lot.

As I said I have two accounts there, and yes, you can get an ATM/debit card on that account that is usable in ATMs I Thailand as well as many Southeast Asia neighbor countries ATMs also (but maybe a fee for them for each use outside of Thailand).

I am a retiree and on a retirement visa extension and just got my U.S. Social Security pension changed to a direct deposit into Bangkok Bank monthly from the U.S. Social Security.

DEAR OP,

You are quite right that the Banks are now refusing to open accounts due to "America World Police" wanting the banks to fill in multiple forms everytime they open an account for any foreigner not just Americans. They also have to fill out forms on every transaction over a certain amount as the US is targeting money launderers, terrorists and the like. I have a Bangkok Bank Account, a mutual fund account and several time deposits. Three months ago I tried to open a new 4 month time deposit and was refused until I threatened to go to one of my friend who is a Director of Bangkok. The employee then told me that because of all the paperwork and reporting to the America World Police they tried to avoid the cost against opening and maintaining the account. We filled out 4 forms for the Americans even though I am British. Who do the Americans think they are!

I also had an account for many years with HSBC Thailand but HSBC decided to close down their retail banking operations due to the cost of reporting to the Americans every transaction over a certain amount. So it is not just U.S. Expats that the U.S. are causing problems to. Their are noises from the UK government that they may also require reporting in the future.

Are you saying that even if you are not an American, the American government still tracks your accounts worldwide?

I do not believe this! They simply don't have the right to do so!

If in Bangkok go to Kasikorn in Tesco Lotus on Rama IV 2nd floor bring passport hopefully you have retirement stamp in it ask to open account deposit your money get ATM card put in your pin head to BTS stop at Soi Cowboy pick up a spinner and a six pack and Party.cheesy.gifcoffee1.gif next.

• Like 1

I opened a new account at Bangkok Bank Central Rama 9 yesterday. The first thing they asked was to see my work permit. I explained that I don't work and on a non-O visa with view to retirement.

Gave passport and copy of condo lease....done in 15 minutes.

Thanks to all of you who commented. Some of you mentioned having opened accounts in the past on retirement visas. That is not what I was asking about - as I have done it in the past as well. What I'm talking about is NOW - i.e. within the past couple of weeks. I think this might be a new law. Have any of you tried doing it lately?

Yes...approx 3 to 4 weeks ago at the Krungsri branch in the same building as Chaeng Wattana immigration...I have a retirement extension of stay...I'm American...The branch collected some FACTA info from me...got debit card and ibanking also...no problems.

Not sure about this one, but you definitely need a work permit, or large deposit, to get a credit card from thai banks. Are you sure they knew that you did not want a credit card. I've never had any problems opening a bank account in many banks in thailand and I am on a retard visa.

• Like 1

DEAR OP,

Are you saying that even if you are not an American, the American government still tracks your accounts worldwide?

Look buddy, I filled the forms out for the IRS at the Bank. The forms ask you what nationality you are, but even if you are not American, they insist that you give them all your information the same as for Americans, there is no getting around The World Police.

Apologies if this is seen as a hijack, but it is bank related.

What if a non resident with a bank account, no Thai dependants, dies intestate. What happens to the dosh? Do you nominate next of kin, say in the UK, for the money to be transferred back? Or does the bank get to keep the money?

DEAR OP,

Look buddy, I filled the forms out for the IRS at the Bank. The forms ask you what nationality you are, but even if you are not American, they insist that you give them all your information the same as for Americans, there is no getting around The World Police.
I'm not your buddy!

The 'World Police'?

I think you look too many movies :)

I have never filled out any form other than the form to apply for either a bank account, a cc or a car finance.

Get a different bank!

I'm retired and I have several accounts at Bangkok Bank.

Three weeks ago I opened a fourth savings account, no problem whatsoever and got another Be1st card 7 days later.

Branch is Kad Suan Kaew, Chiang Mai

NB I went with a retired friend (62) to Kaisikorn Airport Plaza, he wanted to open an account 500,000

They have 'a greeter' who asked to see work permit and said not possible....twice!

I walked over to the counter and explained what he wanted.

Apparently no-one told the 'greeter' that it's OK for long term renewal holders.

Account completed with ATM in 15 minutes

Me too, same bank. It couldn't have been simpler.

My experience too, Non Immigrant 0 visa, wanted to give Siam Commercial Bank 800,000 (transfer from Bangkok Bank, better interest rates at Siam Commercial Bank, was told impossible as I have no work permit. Completely ridiculous, told the clerk that the rule was stupid, me was then told that ME was stupid. Immigration requires 800,000 in a bank account but these are difficult to open, does not make any sense to me. Money was legally transferred into Thailand, nobody questioned the transfer, I honestly do not understand a thing. And no, I am not American, nor do I have a US passport...

I'm not your buddy!

The 'World Police'?

I think you look too many movies smile.png

I have never filled out any form other than the form to apply for either a bank account, a cc or a car finance.

You will do next time. I opened 2 deposit accounts a couple of weeks ago and had to complete an "I am not, have never been and don't want to be an American" form for each account.

• Like 1

My experience too, Non Immigrant 0 visa, wanted to give Siam Commercial Bank 800,000 (transfer from Bangkok Bank, better interest rates at Siam Commercial Bank, was told impossible as I have no work permit. Completely ridiculous, told the clerk that the rule was stupid, me was then told that ME was stupid. Immigration requires 800,000 in a bank account but these are difficult to open, does not make any sense to me. Money was legally transferred into Thailand, nobody questioned the transfer, I honestly do not understand a thing. And no, I am not American, nor do I have a US passport...

Other people have better luck and communication skills, but I don't understand either.

I was in to set up international transfers not long ago by way of bangkok bank, and the old work permit issue came up. I earned all the money here legally, paid taxes on it, but now the bank wont let me transfer it out without a work permit? Why isn't transferring money out totally independent of having a work permit I have no idea. Let's just think on it, why would one need a work permit to move money?

I tend to agree with the op in that many people in this thread have been here a long time and know tricks/branches that this stuff works at. If you don't and have worked your way in and out of a half dozen or so banks to satisfy a requirement like this, it just does not make much sense.

Edited by meand

Apologies if this is seen as a hijack, but it is bank related.

What if a non resident with a bank account, no Thai dependants, dies intestate. What happens to the dosh? Do you nominate next of kin, say in the UK, for the money to be transferred back? Or does the bank get to keep the money?

The bank account then forms part of your estate and dealt with under the intestacy rules for your country. In the case of UK, it will be part of your estate, the people who inherit that will go thru UK probate etc, and get power/authority to be able to access all your assets. This will be just another one of them. It will be slightly more difficult practically though as the people who are entitled to inherit, assuming they are in UK, will have to deal with the Thai bank to get the money, while themselves coming from a different country. Plus practically they may have no knowledge where any money might even be here.

No the Thai bank can't just keep it. But they will like anywhere in the world require the people inheriting to substantiate their claim and go thru legal processes. Hence better to make a will than die intestate. If it goes a certain number of years though, then like the UK there is a process where it can eventually be taken.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

I'm not your buddy!

The 'World Police'?

I think you look too many movies smile.png

You will do next time. I opened 2 deposit accounts a couple of weeks ago and had to complete an "I am not, have never been and don't want to be an American" form for each account.

You need to fill in a form that says that you "don't want to be an American" to open a bank account in Thailand? Sorry, but I still think this is bs.

Why would they request you to do so, since you need to identify yourself with your passport, which duh, states you are not an American (that is if you ARE not an American of course)! cheesy.gif

In the coming weeks I will open some more savings accounts just for the fun