Key witness says foreigner kills British tourists

Lite Beer

With every new "development" my heart sinks a little more. I've never followed a crime quite so avidly before and it is having a profound effect on how I look at Thailand as a whole. I came to Thailand about 10 years ago because I loved it and wanted to live here, now I'm sick of it and can't wait to leave (next month with my Thai wife and daughter). Something has shifted here in the last 5 years or so, even Thais feel this. This is not the happy-smiley country it once was and it's getting uglier by the day. I personally won't be sorry to leave. This murder case has really been the last straw for me. It really is an appalling state of affairs. It just makes me depressed now.

Have you considered that the reason you find this so distressing is not because of the atrocity itself, but rather because you have been exposed to the vitriol of so many people with their own agenda, hubris and ego their main concern - not, as they profess with hysterical outrage, knowing anything. This is the modern world where everyone thinks it is their right to say anything, no matter how inaccurate, damning and plain spiteful.

So yes, I am also disgusted with this horrible crime, but unlike you I do not find this indicative of Thailand, nor Thai people. Whoever committed the crime is sick, and I truly hope justice is eventually served. But I am not going to be melodramatically screaming for results when many, many murder cases are never solved, or are solved years later.

This forum is just a platform for sick wannabees lately... Learn some respect.

The horrible crime is not indicative of Thailand or the Thai people. The ready acceptance of police lies, corruption, incompetence is. As is the readiness to believe what you want to believe. "They wouldn't have been murdered if they had not come, no Thai would do this, must be foreigner" syndrome.

Thai culture doesn't like conflict or accept being criticized. So a solution has the be found that avoids both, rather than one that relentlessly seeks out the truth. Add to that the influence of wealthy, powerful people, under the patronage feudal hierarchies that exist and you get more of an appreciation. Those with money, power, influence or from the right families are treated very differently than those who aren't. Non Thais receive very different treatment,

The fact that a very senior policeman can publicly state that evidence proves it was two Thai nationals, one of whom is arrested and the other on the run, and then a few days later the very (almost too) quick DNA test on one, and sudden appearance of witnesses claiming the other was in BKK at the time completely clears them. The bother/father of them then offers the police ThB 1m if they can prove his family was involved - nicely restoring family face and cementing his control over locals by showing his ability to directly challenge police authority. Gives an idea of some of the games being played - all driven by money. You think this is good in a society?

This forum is a discussion forum - not your personal forum where you set the rules, and decide what is acceptable or not. Learn some manners,

"Thai culture doesn't like conflict or accept being criticized. So a solution has the be found that avoids both". In other words it is an immature culture where anything can happen yet no one is ever held accountable. When westerners start accepting this morally dubious rubbish as normal behaviour the game is over. In Thailand "Thainess" trumps absolutely everything. Even from the outset before details were know the Thai PM no less stated that "Thais could never do this". This is the arrogant rotten mindset they have and all foreigners here are up against it. How much respect does Thai culture have for anything that isn't Thai ??? Learn some respect indeed !!!

This post is the closest I have read to absolutely true here so far.

It's sad .

Shocking .( to some)

But for many of us ...it's just knowledge we knew deep down ...for the more faithful a realisation.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way a foreigner killed them with a garden hoe. That is thai style all the way, they were murdered by thais and in my opinion the perps will never be brought to justice. The thai police, like most police forces are to corrupt and incompetent to solve this case. I feel sorry for whoever it does get pinned on, some Burmese worker would be the easy option. As long as its not a thai national or indeed the real culprits tho hey.........

• Like 1

Just how many more times will key evidence, suspects, etc be released? Why don't they keep their incompetent mouths shut

Or at least have one spokesperson to release news. It appears that many, whose chests are adorned with trinkets, feel free to release information, accurate or not.
  • Like 2

Did i read on hear Sean is in Italy with a girlfriend ?

If he is funny it is a country with no extradition treaty with Thailand.

I am sure Sean is involved, you don't live somewhere for 18 months basically bumming a living without getting involved in the dark side.

1: I have no idea but just because a country doesn't have an extradition treaty with another country,

does that mean they will never extradite anyone to a country they have no extradition treaty?

2: I live since nearly 40 years on this islands (with short interruptions) and although I know quite a

few, I had never the desire or the need to get involved with the "dark side" of this islands.

Not saying all do mate but there are still questions to be answered, maybe will all come out soon when he sells his story.

Just don't understand why he was not kept back for further questioning.

Well his story might pay £300 ,000 pounds and a book deal of £500,000 ....that's a lot of money and if promised in part to the people who let him cash in on the whole affair ( he arrived day they were murdered)

Perhaps it's worth it?

Several people get loot.

Culprits shot dead .

Case closed .

This whole thing has destroyed Thailand s image.

People now know things are not as they seemed .

That brutal crimes can be committed and no one charged and a smoke screen placed up.

That suspects get little pressure or none.

Worse that empathy is lacking .

Blame attributed and money the only worry.

Maybe Sean learnt its a Thai thing .

And now will wait until he trades it all in for his pound of flesh and sterling cash.

Not sure but I thought that Sean Mc had an Italian name on his FB page ie his real name and the Sean Mc was his alias.

[...] But what we have witnessed is an obfuscation from the very top all the way down to the bottom of Thai society. A PM who thinks pretty women should not wear bikinis on a beach, though non-pretty women may. A police general claiming a Thai couldn't do this. An investigation where alleged perpetrators are allowed to mingle freely with police officers at the crime scene. Statements of fact declared to the press, only to be contradicted the next day. The hunt for a scapegoat. That some high-ranking mafia can refuse to be DNA tested. The heat put on Sean McAnna by heavies and the planting of incriminating evidence in his room. The chase through Bangkok streets of foreign witnesses. And finally to cap it all off we have the Minister for Tourism arriving on the island bearing gifts of better electricity supplies and grand tourist 'events' in order to reimburse the mafia families for the expenses they have incurred to make this crime go away.

It's really sick. [...]

Great summary. Just the same I was thinking. Couldn't had summed it up any better.

When looking the big picture this way, this case stinks even more than before.

Edited by dealthedice

Very well expressed, NCFC..........excellent post.

Sorry I dont agree on with one word ,,,,,, Most I think is concocted bull.....The only way,,, And I mean the Key is Sean Sean do this for your consceince Get of your ass and come clean, It will only get worse for you.

So If you want a boot in the backside I for one think you did it,and I am sure a lot of other people do as well. So now prove me ( us ) wrong.

Sorry I dont agree on with one word ,,,,,, Most I think is concocted bull.....The only way,,, And I mean the Key is Sean Sean do this for your consceince Get of your ass and come clean, It will only get worse for you.

So If you want a boot in the backside I for one think you did it,and I am sure a lot of other people do as well. So now prove me ( us ) wrong.

Nothing NCFC's said is "bull". But. You are quite right, Sean McAnna needs interviewing at least by Interpol or the UK police over this. I think there's too much risk sending him back to Thailand.

He knows more than he's saying imo.. he was the first to have said that he knew David had tried to save her ?!? either there or knew soon after.. maybe he started being a little loose with his mouth. The day before he was allegedly threatened, he had lots of money stolen.. he says

• Like 1

He knows more than he's saying imo.. he was the first to have said that he knew David had tried to save her ?!? either there or knew soon after.. maybe he started being a little loose with his mouth. The day before he was allegedly threatened, he had lots of money stolen.. he says

McAnna needs to man up and speak up. He may already be doing so to UK police to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Like 1

There isn't even clues that Sean met David (or Hannah) the whole night?

The DNA found inside H was of 2 Asian men.

Isn't that a little far-fetched? The only thing really connects Sean to this is that two locals tried to make him a scapegoat, and he came forward about it fearing for his life and fled.

There is possibility he might know something, or have a hunch of who did it.

There's a long trip for him being a prime-suspect given the evidence thus far.

That being said I do hope the UK authorities interview him. He probably went silent for death threats or such harassment on FB, and someone told in the board (rumor) that UK authorities would had adviced him to keep quiet profile in public, and handle it with the authority. Makes sense to me.

Edited by dealthedice
  • Like 1

McAnna needs to man up and speak up. He may already be doing so to UK police to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Yes, I would like to think he is being totally honest at this time

Sean McAnna claims that he was meant to meet David the night of the murders, but didn't as he was too hungover from the previous evening. Has this been confirmed that he remained in all evening/night/early hours of the morning? can anyone back his claims up I wonder?

Also, the police said that they were looking for a group of men, westerners, that were singing songs and one of the men was playing a guitar - Sean McAnna plays a guitar . . . and by the looks of it, he plays a blood stained one at that . . .

I just want to un see the photos.

And pray to whichever god there is (if there is one) - to find the animal or animals who did that and make them suffer.

Back to the topic.

It is rather strange that Sean was whisked off to parts unknown and not opening his mouth since, even though he was very gobby at first.

Or his family. As others have said - Sean, you had your 15 minutes of fame - now come out of your shell and tell.

Edited by Patsycat

"We do, don't we? I thought it was accepted that during that wartime period the Germans were complicit... but that's another story. On this topic, I think the Thais are lazy... surprise surprise. My (smart) wife said that the Brits (westerners all over too) should peacefully protest outside the Thai Embassy in London... or any major western city. Hold up a few signs, sing some songs, stand on a soap box, (hope it turns nasty G20 style), and draw the foreign media back into it... it's a good idea."

I would take part in that. Why not do it in Bangkok?

I agree with NCFC and I don't agree with green job about Sean. If he was guilty of something serious, he wouldn't have voluntarily put himself in the middle of the whirlwind. He would have laid as low as possible. He may not be the kind of guy you'd want babysitting your daughters, but that's beside the point. It's not a popularity contest. It's about arresting, trying, convicting and punishing the rapists/killers. I do hope he gives testimony, even if it's in absentia.

If Thai officials were serious about apprehending the culprits (which doesn't appear clear they are, at this time) then they would send some officials to do a video-taped interview with Sean. If he's spooked by any Thais searching for him, it's completely understandable. Perhaps they could set up an interview at the British embassy somewhere. At the least, he should send a sworn affidavit to officials. In the US, they call something like that; "friend of the court." If so, he should also send a copy to the press corps, because Thai officials might act like they never received it - because it won't likely be pleasing for island VIPs.

Edited by boomerangutang

I agree with NCFC and I don't agree with green job about Sean. If he was guilty of something serious, he wouldn't have voluntarily put himself in the middle of the whirlwind. He would have laid as low as possible. He may not be the kind of guy you'd want babysitting your daughters, but that's beside the point. It's not a popularity contest. It's about arresting, trying, convicting and punishing the rapists/killers. I do hope he gives testimony, even if it's in absentia.

I disagree with the part about Sean lying as low as possible. That could've been done in big cities like Bangkok. But not an island like Ko Thao. It's more like the net was closing in and he made a desperate attempt to save his own backside for whatever he did. He is probably quiet only because he was advised by his solicitors to keep his gob shut.

• Like 1

Sean McAnna claims that he was meant to meet David the night of the murders, but didn't as he was too hungover from the previous evening. Has this been confirmed that he remained in all evening/night/early hours of the morning? can anyone back his claims up I wonder?

Also, the police said that they were looking for a group of men, westerners, that were singing songs and one of the men was playing a guitar - Sean McAnna plays a guitar . . . and by the looks of it, he plays a blood stained one at that . . .

I don't know if that cancelled meeting of D and S has been confirmed anywhere?

The announcement about seeking westerner playing guitar came miraculously at right before the two locals tried to scapegoat him by saying along the lines "we know you did it, and tonight you're going to hang yourself, and we're going to watch".

Prior to that, Sean had given DNA sample, which did not match the sample inside H (which was 2x Asian DNA):

"Mr McAnna rejected the men’s claims that had been involved killing his friend and Ms Witheridge. “Of course I had nothing to do with it.” Prachum Ruangthong, the police chief responsible for Koh Tao, confirmed that Mr McAnna had been asked to provide DNA samples as part of investigations into the murders but was not considered a suspect." (http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/frightened-british-tourist-says-thai-mafia-may-killed-two-british-tourists-koh-tao/)

Because of this, I don't really think he did it. Heh, they should had DNA tested the guitar's bloodstains (if it's even possible), though, to rule out if he was at the place witnessing the murders, or if it's his own blood (due the alleged motorbike accident). So far nothing indicates he me D or H at that night, though. And DNA tests do not indicate him being at the scene of the murder, at all.

I disagree with the part about Sean lying as low as possible. That could've been done in big cities like Bangkok. But not an island like Ko Thao. It's more like the net was closing in and he made a desperate attempt to save his own backside for whatever he did. He is probably quiet only because he was advised by his solicitors to keep his gob shut.

One thing's for sure, that guitar should be at a forensics laboratory.

• Like 2