Key witness says foreigner kills British tourists

Lite Beer

Maybe the press release leading to this thread ('Key Witness Says....') is bogus, and/or crafted to raise the ire of hundreds of farang who post on here. It's not a stretch to think some Thai cops would love to piss-off farang. After all, their 'face' is getting dragged through the mud in these forums, whether justifiably or not.

But why would/should it piss off farang?

Foreigner doesn't mean farang!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish somebody, anybody in Thailand would shut these people up.

It may be acceptable in Thailand for officials to make continual contradictory and farcical statements, but its not ok everywhere and the British people won't stand for this nonsense when 2 of their citizens have been murdered. If this is a cover up it will create huge problems for the tourist industry.

What happened to the 2 brothers? One was arrested and the other fled to Bangkok, unless I missed something thats the last I read about it. Also, if there is a foreign person involved why on earth would the witness not come forward sooner, especially as there was a hefty reward waiting.

This all stinks, there is something very wrong with this statement.

I thought the very latest, latest is that they are looking at the footballers, who are thai

the conclusion that the hoe was the main murder weapon may not be so

the killing could also have been the are hands of a strong person and the hoe used incidentally

Incidentally, if using a hoe as a weapon, it's more effective to use its blunt side (as a bludgeon) than its sharp side.

I don't mean to sound like a d!ck

But why don't the RTP consult the monks or some spiritual leader?

Since the country and its people are soooo superstitious, they should consult the spirits. They see all and tell all...

Back to the point, I'm truly amazed at the incompetence of the RTP to the point of utter disgust.

They are telling stories and flipping burgers faster than the media can catch up with them

I seriously think this will end up as another cold case.

I pray for the lost souls

What happened to the 2 brothers? One was arrested and the other fled to Bangkok, unless I missed something thats the last I read about it. Also, if there is a foreign person involved why on earth would the witness not come forward sooner, especially as there was a hefty reward waiting.

From what I've gathered, no one has been arrested thus far. Even the brother (Mon) who stayed in the island was only detained for an hour or so for questioning. He's the one with the thick hair who was photographed at the crime scene (the following morning?) and purportedly threatening a possible farang witness (Sean) with a death threat (the next day). The other brother (son of local VIP) apparently has proof (sufficient for Thai cops) which shows he was in Bangkok at the time of the crime. The alibi may be flaccid. I believe one of the two brothers had DNA tested, but am not sure which. The plainclothes cop who was photographed with Mon and who was allegedly threatening witness Sean has probably not been DNA tested. Indeed, he's probably not even a suspect because he's a cop. There are many loose ends and unknowns and sloppy investigating in this crime. Granted, there are many things we don't know (which is as it should be) because we're not on the inside of the investigation. Hopefully, Thai authorities are doing a good jog and will arrest some prime suspects - and thereby release some viable info which will fill in the blanks.

If I'm not mistaken Jonathan Head's recent twitter post implies that the 'foreigner did it' story is now denied by police:

"This is denied by police. No farangs. 3 suspects, forensic evidence needs more analysis to be sure."

Where are you seeing "no farangs"? I see only:

"Correction. Police are firming forensic evidence against 3 suspects on Koh Tao. We will see. They expect results in next 48 hours".

Also head has tweeted:

"Police have again confirmed this is NOT Sean McAnna. He is cleared".

From what I've gathered, no one has been arrested thus far. Even the brother (Mon) who stayed in the island was only detained for an hour or so for questioning. He's the one with the thick hair who was photographed at the crime scene (the following morning?) and purportedly threatening a possible farang witness (Sean) with a death threat (the next day). The other brother (son of local VIP) apparently has proof (sufficient for Thai cops) which shows he was in Bangkok at the time of the crime. The alibi may be flaccid. I believe one of the two brothers had DNA tested, but am not sure which. The plainclothes cop who was photographed with Mon and who was allegedly threatening witness Sean has probably not been DNA tested. Indeed, he's probably not even a suspect because he's a cop. There are many loose ends and unknowns and sloppy investigating in this crime. Granted, there are many things we don't know (which is as it should be) because we're not on the inside of the investigation. Hopefully, Thai authorities are doing a good jog and will arrest some prime suspects - and thereby release some viable info which will fill in the blanks.

I didn't know any of the Mon family had been tested.

Were they tested and "cleared" by the absence of a DNA match to the semen?

In the reports it's said that Mon was detained much longer. They took 2 person in for questioning (one of em Mon) and 1 was released after 3 hours questioning while they kept Mon in detention quite a while after that.

The report about Mon and his friend (police man) threatening Sean happened 1 week after the murder.

I find Sean McAnna disappearance quite perplexing, where is he ?

I think that nobody really knows. He could be in Italy which was his plan, when he left Koh Tao he stated he wanted to go there to see his girlfriend.

However, i got a feeling that me might be at the bottom of the thai gulf.

Edited by Iumentum

Regarding use of the term "Foreigner." I assume the general was talking in Thai (?) so we don't really know for sure what term he used. In my limited experience Thais use the word "foreigner" and "farang" to mean Caucasian. Asian foreigners are generally described according to their country of origin - "Chinese", "Japanese", "Korean" etc. Am I right?

Anyway it's probably irrelevant as who believes in this surprise witness anyway?

Holiday Brit murders mocked in Thai social media trend

FURIOUS locals have mocked a bungled police probe into the murders of two Brits in Thailand by uploading a series of tasteless ladyboy snaps online.

By Ed Riley / Published 27th September 2014

Thaikilling-401913.jpgBAD TASTE: Pictures posted online include mocking the tool used to kill the two Brits, a garden hoe [sOCIALMEDIA]

Villagers have posted a photo on Facebook showing fellow Brit Sean McAnna - who fears he is being framed for the killings - dressed in drag.

Another picture shows a local man on the Thai paradise of Koh Tao taunting cops by holding up a hoe - the weapon used to slaughter backpackers Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24.

Is there really any point is discussing the DNA or any of the "evidence"? After the last 13 days does anyone believe anything these clowns say? Even the staunch Thai defenders seemed to have disappeared.

My opinion is that some pieces of evidence and some findings of the investigation can be taken at face value.

Question for you--do you really think a conspiracy exists that actually includes every police officer and investigator involved? Well over 100, not to mention crime lab techs, and you think they are such a well-tuned organization to work in perfect harmony to mislead the public as if they were a Symphony Orchestra?

If I'm not mistaken Jonathan Head's recent twitter post implies that the 'foreigner did it' story is now denied by police:

"This is denied by police. No farangs. 3 suspects, forensic evidence needs more analysis to be sure."

Where are you seeing "no farangs"? I see only:

"Correction. Police are firming forensic evidence against 3 suspects on Koh Tao. We will see. They expect results in next 48 hours".

Also head has tweeted:

"Police have again confirmed this is NOT Sean McAnna. He is cleared".

Here:

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/515966592681652224

(click on the first tweet you mentioned to see further conversation related to it)

Edited by bunglebag

Regarding use of the term "Foreigner." I assume the general was talking in Thai (?) so we don't really know for sure what term he used. In my limited experience Thais use the word "foreigner" and "farang" to mean Caucasian. Asian foreigners are generally described according to their country of origin - "Chinese", "Japanese", "Korean" etc. Am I right?

Anyway it's probably irrelevant as who believes in this surprise witness anyway?

No, Korean, Chinese and so on are still referred to as foreigner (just not farang).

Anyway, you cannot compare the thai your local friends might use, to what officials use on TV and so on.

Edited by Iumentum
  • Like 2

This is interesting too. In a Bangkok Post article today (28/9/14) Pol Lt Gen Kamrob Panyakaew, chief of the Office of Police Forensic Science, said each sample takes at least 48 hours to complete.

So how did Mon's get allegedly cleared in less than 24 hours?

Edited by bunglebag
  • Like 2

Is there really any point is discussing the DNA or any of the "evidence"? After the last 13 days does anyone believe anything these clowns say? Even the staunch Thai defenders seemed to have disappeared.

My opinion is that some pieces of evidence and some findings of the investigation can be taken at face value.

Question for you--do you really think a conspiracy exists that actually includes every police officer and investigator involved? Well over 100, not to mention crime lab techs, and you think they are such a well-tuned organization to work in perfect harmony to mislead the public as if they were a Symphony Orchestra?

No, I think it is a combination of conspiracy, incompetence and circling of the wagons.. Lab technicians can only test what they are given, they will not know where it came from or how well it was collected. And how many plods will speak up if they have any doubts?

This is interesting too. In a Bangkok Post article today (28/9/14) Pol Lt Gen Kamrob Panyakaew, chief of the Office of Police Forensic Science, said each sample takes at least 48 hours to complete.

Easy there is a new type of DNA test availble in Thailand and as part of the testing protocol a brown paper bag or envelope is introduced into the procedure which results in almost immediate results

• Like 1

In the reports it's said that Mon was detained much longer. They took 2 person in for questioning (one of em Mon) and 1 was released after 3 hours questioning while they kept Mon in detention quite a while after that.

The report about Mon and his friend (police man) threatening Sean happened 1 week after the murder.

I don't agree with either of your statements.

I thought the very latest, latest is that they are looking at the footballers, who are thai

the conclusion that the hoe was the main murder weapon may not be so

the killing could also have been the are hands of a strong person and the hoe used incidentally

Incidentally, if using a hoe as a weapon, it's more effective to use its blunt side (as a bludgeon) than its sharp side.

Having spent 7 decades using a hoe, I would disagree. It depends entirely on what you hope to accomplish. If you do not wish to kill someone then you could strike with the wood handle; however, this places the sharp steel near your body.

To create maximum harm to an animal or snake (both of which I have done on many an occasion) you use the business end, the sharpened steel. This also allows for the longest swing radius (greatest force) as you can swing it like a bat. Which in this case, at an unsuspecting person from behind.

One other note, someone on here suggested that the female victim had a graze wound from a bullet on her head. Can anyone elaborate on that? Including if any powder residue had been tested for?

Really? Are you aware that animals and snakes share this country/planet and you have absolutely NO right to 'bludgeon them with a hoe'? And please, do not trot out the 'but I was protecting my kids' line. Stop bloody breeding. In your case it seems humanity would very well benefit from your particular contribution to the gene pool bah.gif Welcome to my ever growing list of The Ignored.

When i find a cobra in my garden, i will chop it if i have to. I will first of all contact the local department who does take care of such things and collect the snake, and try to keep it in check until they arrive. But there is no way i will let it run off and hide in the garden, then i rather chop it to pieces.

I am an animal lover, and always been fascinated by snakes, but i have a daughter, so it would be somewhat irresponsible to not make sure that it would either be chopped or removed if it's a cobra or a viper.

• Like 2

I don't agree with either of your statements.

You don't have to agree with them, but it's how it's reported. If you think that Mon's threats where Sean fled to a 7-11 happened in less than 1 week from when the killing took place, you surely have been misunderstanding something.

Also, if you do read the news reports about the questioning of Mon and his bother, you will see it's also written that they where questioned for 3 hours, but only the brother was released right away.

Edited by Iumentum

While you are correct that Thais use the word Farang to mean a Caucasian foreigner and they usually refer to Asian foreigners by they country of origin they can also use the word 'tang chaat' or 'chaw tang chaat' to describe all non Thai Asians.

I don't know if the General was speaking Thai or English, or what he said to describe the two foreigners, but just pointing out there is a Thai word to describe Asian foreigners.

• Like 1

Leave Mon alone... he didn't do it.rolleyes.gif

No, I think it is a combination of conspiracy, incompetence and circling of the wagons.. Lab technicians can only test what they are given, they will not know where it came from or how well it was collected. And how many plods will speak up if they have any doubts?

OK. So you are saying that the 100 or more investigators assigned to this case are all incompetent to run an investigation but that they are all incredibly competent enough to successfully conspire to divert an investigation.

Do you ever wonder if you might have a smidgeon of bias and if that bias might cloud your judgement?

Only asking because it is a very dark place--your reality.

Foreigner as in Japanese/Korean/Chinese/another SE Asian nationality? Because the semen found had Asian DNA. Are they just hoping if they keep releasing enough crap that the media/social media people will get bored and lose interest?

You couldn't make this up. Sorry David and Hannah and your families, this is actually sick.

Shouldn't the DNA analysis be able to tell the difference between Thai DNA and say Chinese/North Asian DNA? Anyway since the DNA analysis will be performed in Singapore, by the FBI apparently, it should be able to find out.

Foreigner as in Japanese/Korean/Chinese/another SE Asian nationality? Because the semen found had Asian DNA. Are they just hoping if they keep releasing enough crap that the media/social media people will get bored and lose interest?

You couldn't make this up. Sorry David and Hannah and your families, this is actually sick.

Shouldn't the DNA analysis be able to tell the difference between Thai DNA and say Chinese/North Asian DNA? Anyway since the DNA analysis will be performed in Singapore, by the FBI apparently, it should be able to find out.

I am not sure if they can boil it down that they can see it to a specific ethnic group, but they have been able to see that the DNA belong to a mongoloid.

However, there is a HUGE amount of Chinese decedent thai people.