Cable/fibre connection?

ross163103

Does anyone know what the attached photo is? I know it's either a cable or fiber connection just not sure which one. It's right outside my house and if it's fiber I'll sign up for it. I didn't see which company installed it but I'll find out, if it's fiber connection. One of my friends that lives in the same mooban got fiber to his house but it stopped quite a ways from his house and copper came in the rest of the way. Needless to say he didn't get the speed advertised....by a lot.

post-59476-0-25220800-1411810571_thumb.j

Fibre always stops outside the premises. It's too expensive to setup to have it directly into a house. It's unlikely that the cable you see is Fibre. Fibre has to run in straight line as a light signal and not an electrical signal runs along it. The light signal is sent angularly and kinda bounces along it :)

This is not a fiber cable. I have fiber into my condos. It is a rather thin cable, supported by a thin steel wire. Best just stop by TOT/Klang & 3BB/exCarrefour and ask them if they run fiber-optic to your location. They have some great deals on 30 & 50 MB lines, some months they run the cable free right into your house, condo. Some months they tell you what the cost will be, done by one of their contractors. My first condos were very expensive to do, but they have come down in price a lot. Simple, straightforward procedure. have done it in several condos and paying 1'200 to 2'500 / mth. depending on speed & company. http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/details/2253 Good luck! MS>

Does anyone know what the attached photo is? I know it's either a cable or fiber connection just not sure which one.

The thin cable coming out of the box looks like standard coax. And the connector on the end of it looks like a standard F-connector. The box has a couple more of the same connectors on it.

So I would say that is a cable distribution point for either cable TV and/or cable broadband, stepping down from the thicker cable feeding it.

It certainly doesnt look like any sort of optical<>ethernet converter box I have ever seen, but maybe they use other types here.

Fibre always stops outside the premises. It's too expensive to setup to have it directly into a house.

You can get fibre to the home if you are prepared to pay for it. And as moonseeker mentioned, the price is nowhere near as high as it used to be.

In my building the fibre comes to the office downstairs and from there the signal is distributed internally via coax, and this is what generally happens for most domestic users here.

It's unlikely that the cable you see is Fibre. Fibre has to run in straight line as a light signal and not an electrical signal runs along it. The light signal is sent angularly and kinda bounces along it

Have you been talking to Stephen Fry? smile.pnghttp://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/18/stephen_frytard/

And do the optical cables that encircle the world manage to do so without bending? I don't think so. Or maybe it is incontrovertible proof that the earth is indeed flat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_communications_cable

O.c. a fiber optic cable can be bent, but not kinked. How would you install or run it otherwise. However there are limitations as simply explained here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend_radius. I was quite scary to watch the local guys unroll and untwist and then pull the fiber optic through a long narrow conduit pipe in my first installation and I was very surprised it actually still worked. The 3BB guys came and measured signal strength before they installed the router. My last installation was free cable by TOT, then the contractor showed and stopped short of my house, asking for 1000 baht if I want it all the way into the office. I gave him 500 and he finished. MS>

It's fiber optics and I have it @20mbs download for 1600 Baht with CAT

It is without doubt a CABLE Connection point, not fiber - Fibers are terminated usually in cabinets or sometimes smaller version mounted on posts and almost always require mains power supply.

The connector is called an F-Type connection and is the same as the connection used for household satellite receivers, the cable coming out of it is of RG6.

And what makes me so sure is... it looks exactly the same as my Cable connection..

post-134820-0-55321600-1411885702_thumb.

It's fiber optics and I have it @20mbs download for 1600 Baht with CAT

It is without doubt a CABLE Connection point, not fiber - Fibers are terminated usually in cabinets or sometimes smaller version mounted on posts and almost always require mains power supply.

The connector is called an F-Type connection and is the same as the connection used for household satellite receivers, the cable coming out of it is of RG6.

And what makes me so sure is... it looks exactly the same as my Cable connection..

attachicon.gifdocsis.PNG

Sorry I'm wrong it is not fiber optics. My eyesight is not that good and when I enlarged the picture you could see that it sure looked like cable not fiber optics but I have seen them roll the fiber optic cables so that they can unroll it and put it on the ground to work on.

• 4 months later...

This is not a fiber cable. I have fiber into my condos. It is a rather thin cable, supported by a thin steel wire. Best just stop by TOT/Klang & 3BB/exCarrefour and ask them if they run fiber-optic to your location. They have some great deals on 30 & 50 MB lines, some months they run the cable free right into your house, condo. Some months they tell you what the cost will be, done by one of their contractors. My first condos were very expensive to do, but they have come down in price a lot. Simple, straightforward procedure. have done it in several condos and paying 1'200 to 2'500 / mth. depending on speed & company. http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/details/2253 Good luck! MS>

I have TOT in my condo in Pratamnak & it's often down so went to the 3BB shop by Tescos Lotus on the Suk & asked about the fiber deal with 50 Mbp.

I was told that they do not install fiber in condos only houses.

Any suggestions folks?