Election Date Set For Thailand

stumonster

Election date set for Thailand

July 21, 2006

KING Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand has signed a decree setting new elections for October 15, ending weeks of speculation over when the polls would be held to solve a long-running political impasse.

"The king has already signed the royal decree, which will be published in the royal gazette tomorrow," cabinet secretary Rongphol Chareonphanthu said.

"The election is set for October 15," he said.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had called snap elections for April 2, hoping to end months of street protests calling for his resignation over alleged corruption.

His party won the elections, but the victory was undermined by an opposition boycott that led the Constitutional Court to invalidate the results.

New elections were proposed for October 15, but many observers questioned whether the king would approve the date while the courts are still considering dozens of legal cases surrounding the last polls.

continued here

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...04-1702,00.html

Got a call from my mate who owns the Winking Frog. He has said the bars will close at6pm tomorrow.
...and remain closed until after the elections on 15 October 2006 (which is the topic of this tread)? :o

--------------

Maestro

Due to the forthcoming chaos, it will take a miracle to expect fair and free elections.

I await official confirmation on this announcement and if it is true then perhaps several issues are about to be solved out of respect to enable them to take place.

Unless Toxin resigns along with the present EC, i cannot see any peaceful solutions any time soon.

How else are the Thai people going to come to terms with all that has happened since the 73 billion bombshell was exposed, it,s been one thing after another.

If Toxin is allowed to pick up where he left of then democracy and the constitution are doomed in my humble opinion, along with any creditability in the international arena.

Oh dearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Due to the forthcoming chaos, it will take a miracle to expect fair and free elections.

I await official confirmation on this announcement and if it is true then perhaps several issues are about to be solved out of respect to enable them to take place.

Unless Toxin resigns along with the present EC, i cannot see any peaceful solutions any time soon.

How else are the Thai people going to come to terms with all that has happened since the 73 billion bombshell was exposed, it,s been one thing after another.

If Toxin is allowed to pick up where he left of then democracy and the constitution are doomed in my humble opinion, along with any creditability in the international arena.

Oh dearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

marshbags :o:D:D

The people upcountry don't know about billions. They only know Toxin throws them a few hundred baht and that he is the right one for Thailand...full stop.