cycling reports from Cambodia

khmerdaze

I've just updated my blog with details of a cycling trip throughout much of Cambodia. I'm not a writer & even less of a photographer but feel it may be of interest to fellow cyclists:-

http://stillroamin.blogspot.com/

My penurious nature seemed to annoy some readers so if you have an aversion to frugal travelers (in most languages Cheap Charlies) perhaps it's better if you skip this post.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice report, enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures from your trip. Hope your nipple has recovered, sorry but it's strange how someone else's mishap can be so amusing, I'm still smiling. I found the link to your trip map and it came up on my phones Google map no problem.

Early this year I cycled through Cambodia from Phnom Penh to Takeo to Kampot to Sihanouk... I should try and write a good report like the one you have shared...

Just completed a 3 week trip cycling through the Japanese Alps and Highlands, what an experience that was...

Thanks again for sharing...

seasia, Kolsie,

Many thanks form your positive feedback. It's very much appreciated.

Kolsie;- I always enjoy cycling Phnom Penh to Sihanukville it's just great cycling country. It sounds like an amazing trip you had in Japan, unfortunately Japan would be outwith my budget - no worries as there's plenty of great routes in Cambodia & surrounding countries for me.

Yeh! the nipples fully recovered from it's unpleasant ordeal

To everyone on this thread - Again many thanks for your positive responses, it's been extremely encouraging.

• Like 1

Khmerdaze...I agree with you wholeheartedly, there's plenty of adventures and cycling to be had here in Thailand, Cambodia and other SEA countries. I live mostly in Chanthaburi now, but will ride my motorcycle to Phnom Penh in a couple of weeks. Whilst there I'll get a visas for my next adventure. I'm planning on cycling from here through Cambodia, Vietnam and into China. I've just found your report from Vietnam and it's great...

Just a note on my Japan trip, I was seduced into to this adventure by reading about the country and the cheap Cebu Pacific flight from Manila (150USD). Firstly, Japan is an expensive country to live compared to SEA, accommodation, transportation and food CAN be expensive. Japan is a brilliant place to cycle, great culture, terrain and virtually crime free.

Now here's to really good bit, it doesn't have to be expensive...accommodation, Stealth Camping and hostels bring the accommodation costs down dramatically, 7-11, Lawson and numerous other convenience stores are more plentiful than Thailand and won't break the bank... And as for transportation cost... That's the beauty and freedom of having a bicycle... Final word, yes Japan cycling will always be more expensive than SEA, but it's doable on a budget...

Thanks again khmerdaze, for sharing your experiences

Kolsie,

Great minds must think alike as I've just got a 3 month single entry visa for Vietnam. The vague plan is to cycle to Hat Tien, spend a few weeks criss crossing the Mekong Delta & then work my way up primarily the East coast to Hanoi. Might head to China but it might be too cold for me by that time & finally back to Cambodia via Laos. Like all good plans it will be changed numerous times enroute. So if you see an old guy on a black & red Giant bike puffing his way up a hill or more likely sitting by the roadside puffing on a cigarette be sure to stop & say Hi & if we're headed in the same direction the beers will be on me.

One thing that caught me out last time in Vietnam was sunscreen, not so easy to find & this time I've stocked up before I go.

Have a good one Kolsie & I've a feeling our paths are going to cross somewhere out there on the road.

Regards - Scottish Bob

thanks for that, nice write up, very enjoyable, (I could do without knowing every bit of food you bought and for how much,)

now why in heck would you ride sukumvit in Thailand, when coming that way?

the coastal roads are so much nicer, where there are even a marked BICYCLE lanes in some sections.

I think you need to do some research on routes, maybe get a proper gps rather than a ph?

I don't do anywhere near as much as you, but would not

be without my edge 810 and now virb (an action cam linked to the 810 gps).

funnily enough I just met a French (I think) cyclist the other day on those roads in chantaburi who had come from pp and snkv

and heading to pattaya, for a moment I thought he might have been you!

happy trails

Hi Kaorop,

Thanks for the response & especially some constructive criticism. Re not needing to know about everything I ate & the cost of, 100% mate & your not the first to make this observation. I do get a bit obsessive about food when I'm cycling a lot & want to try & give a flavor of whats on offer & the costs to anyone who's not been to a particular country before, but accept I've went overboard with detail - I'll certainly tone this aspect down in future.

I was aware there were more pleasant coastal roads to follow & as I said " I look forward to returning & enjoying some quieter country roads in Thailand next year." but this time around the priority was to get to Pattaya, restock my wardrobe & return to Cambodia before my visa extension expired. The quickest route was straight down the main highways.

It's a personal thing Kaorop " but would not

be without my edge 810 and now virb (an action cam linked to the 810 gps)." isn't for me - I find the latest technology takes too much of the adventure & fun out of travelling nowadays. I accept I might be making things harder than need be for myself & I might miss out on some things but I enjoy just travelling with an old style map. I did reluctantly buy a smartphone as I couldn't find internet cafes in many places nowadays, but still don't know (or care) about 90% of what it can do, although I admit Google Maps has been handy on occasion.

Sincere thanks for your comments mate, it's given me something to think about before my next update & for sure I will tone down my obsession with food (& the cost of).

Regards - Scottish Bob

Hi Scottish Bob...

Yes, great minds think alike... I will probably follow the same route as you, crossing the border at Hat Tien,then head for the coast and North. But it's going to be February before I start my trip, this will allow me time to research my destinations and plan and replan my itinerary (hahahaha).

What I found from my cycling trip is that it's good to stay two nights in places rather than one and ride every day. This gives me chance not only to have rest days but also time to investigate some lovely towns.

A word of warning about travelling through Northern Laos in April or May. I rode my motorcycle from here in Chanthaburi, through to Phnom Penh, via Sihanoukville and Kampot... I then travelled North via Kampong Cham, Stueng Treng into Laos... Followed the Mekong further through Laos then to Vian Vieng, but this is where air pollution started to get bad because of the farmers burning of their crops, finally I really reached Luang Prabang in thick yellow fog...

The roads where in reasonable good condition in Laos, the scenery was very impressive and there was little traffic on the roads, but plenty of farm animals.. I actually had a small collision with a cow, but that's another story ;-)

I can understand where Kaorop is coming from regards using Sukumvit, but must admit to using the same route myself when I had been riding for a few weeks and could see the final restful destination within site hehehehe..

I must admit, I've been tempted to invest in a GPS for some time but made do with my smartphone and Google maps...Looks like the Edge 810 would be a nice bit of kit hehehehe...

I noticed from your report that you get your flat tire fixed in the village. I usually carry two spare tubes, tire

, puncture kit and few tools. This means that if I get a puncture, I can change out the tube and pump up the tire and be back on the road in a jiffy (8 minutes is my record). Cambodia is the only time I've had two punctures in the same day... In the evening I patch up the tube/s while having a cold beer so the next day I'm ready should I get a flat tyre...

If you can give me a few tips on setting up a Web report like yours it would be nice and also how much it cost...

Cheers

kolsie

Hi Kolsie,

Thanks for the heads up re the smog in Northern Laos. I'm hoping to avoid it by getting there around Feb or March & if I remember right the slash & burn usually starts around April. If not I'll just head for Thailand & come down through there.

Re punctures, I've now adopted exactly your method ie 1 x pump, 1 x brand new tube & 1 x patched tube in the bag & will repair punctures at night. That said my last trip through Vietnam (before I was writing things up) I went around 1,700 km before my first puncture struck.

Re my web blog, it's a completely free service (I wouldn't do it if it cost anything). I Googled "free web blogs" & there's lots of them out there but many of the reviews said Blogger.com was the easiest to use. I'm completely useless with technology but found this remarkably easy to set up & update. There's probably better sites out there for anyone who's tech savvy but I'm delighted with Blogger.com particularly with regards to it's ease of use.

Wordpress or Tumblr are other popular free options

One consideration for me is Blogger.com is run by Google so it's unlikely to go tits up one day & loose all my information.

I love the cycling but the writing can sometimes be a chore, however when I'm in a one horse town that shuts down at 8pm it can be quite enjoyable to organize my notes in preparation for my next update (over a few cold beers of course).

If you do decide to run a blog please let me know the address & I'd love to follow your travels. Anyone that can hit a cow whilst cycling is going to have some good tales to tell.

[email protected]

Regards - Scottish Bob