Moving back to Pattaya after 5 years

BillyBobThai

I will be moving back to Pattaya this weekend after being gone for 5 years up in northern Thailand. I am wondering what has changed for the better or worse. Are the Russians still there in quantity? I understand that they finally finished the expressway to BKK and that road up Pratumnak Hill might be completed. There was a new government hospital just started building on Soi Buakhao, is it any good for farang? They had started a new Makro just before I left.

As I am a free male over the age of 21 tongue.pngtongue.png , what is the bar fine rate now, what's the hot spot in town now?

Please give me some input.

Thanks

Al the blokes I knew who had bars or had retired and living in Pattaya in 2004 ish have gone , either lost it all , drunk themselves to death or serious illness, or just had enough and gone back to the UK. A bit sad really as there used to be a decent bunch of Brits in Naklua at that time

• Like 1

Two posts discussing moderation removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

• Like 1

On think you'll notice is the increased traffic. Especially on weekends. Not too bad right now, but during high season, if we even have one this year, it's a mess.

There's a new PowerBuy near Food Land, a very nice new Index store, a few new good hardware stores, a few new car dealerships just south of town, etc.

• Like 1

In the past five years many people who don't like Pattaya have left and the people who like Pattaya have stayed. laugh.png

Traffic has indeed gotten worse, but people complaining about it are usually driving cars themselves and adding to the problem. If you're healthy and know how to drive defensively, get an (electric) bike.

Apart from that, Pattaya nearly has it all. Amazing choice of houses/apartments, cosmopolitan food/shopping, only 2 hours from BK/airport.

• Like 2

Russians? Yes, plenty. Though fewer since the Thai coup and the Ukraine business.

Expressway finished.

Road up Pratumnak? Do you mean Thappraya Road from Jomtien? If so, yes it's finished (cant say the same for the big cable holes in the pavement).

The new hospital in Soi Buakhao is OK for simple things but the last I heard they do now practice dual-pricing.

There are two Makros: a big one in Jomtien on Sukumvit near Tesco and a very new smaller one (food only) on North Road.

You will probably be very surprised by the number of new condo buildings, and the completely re-done Beach Road area.

Expressway is being repaved outside Pattaya and had the pleasure of spending an extra 30 minutes traveling about 5 kms yesterday at 4:30pm. It looks like they have a long long long way to go before all of the lanes are repaved.

The new Makro on North Road is great and I no longer go the the other one on Sukhumvit.

Are you a masochist or just looking for an early demise?

Good luck.

Some people are in pain and prefer sharing it with others. The OP seems to be asking legitimate questions not associated with masochism or an early demise.

BillyBob Thai, our situations sound similar. I originally retired to Jomtien in Oct. '99. I left the area in 2006 to go to the N.E. I am thinking of returning to the area. Jomtien to be specific.

So, this subject interests me.

I realize the area has changed. But, so have I.

However some things have not changed, things that are important to me: The beach hasn't moved. Sunset still takes place at the same time. Watching a sunset, while having a beer or drink...sounds pretty good to me.smile.png

When I first retired there, I was out and about daily & nightly. I had a great time: fitness in the morning, lunch usually at Royal Garden, maybe a little shopping, back to the condo for a few hours, and then out to Jomtien or Pattaya for some dinner with friends, and then some of the nightlife. But, that was then, this is now.

I left the area because I thought the Jomtien/Pattaya was experiencing too many growing pains, but now it seems some of those growing pains have been somewhat sorted.

On the other hand, where I live now, their growing pains have recently started. Probably will be, many, many years before they get sorted up here.

It seems everything I was looking to escape has followed me up here.

So, my questions, to the residents who live there now, especially the Jomtien area:

From what I've read and heard. If I move back to Jomtien, why would I need to go into Pattaya more that 2-3 times per month for shopping etc.? I probably could get all that done before noon, that is if I left Jomtien early enough in the morning, before the madness begins.

Many of the condos now have acceptable fitness centers, or there are probably a few in the Jomtien area that are decent?

I probably wouldn't need to drive my car that much in Jomtien. Baht buses suited me for many years.

In fact, I think my problems with the area, began in 2004, when I foolishly bought a car and started driving in this country.

My plan is to save my car for shopping trips, special occasions, & outings south of Jomtien.

I imagine there is still many decent places to eat in Jomtien? Plus all the roadside Thai restaurants and beach road food venders. Also, I enjoy cooking at home, or simply making a sandwich.

Many of the bars in Jomtien, were what I would consider friendly neighborhood pubs. If I want to go out for a drink, I have those available.

Bottom line...I've become more of a homebody.

• Like 1