Buying an old fashioned food mill in Chiang Mai?

nivram4491

Might want to look for a ricer as that''s what it's called in the culinary world

With all due respect to the chef, I believe this one is called a Food Mill. A 'ricer' is usually smaller, perhaps 3-4 inches across. A Food Mill, as 'I' know it, looks quite similar but is about 7-8 inches in diameter, two quart in capacity. On the other hand, a food mill will 'rice' a LOT of potatoes at one time, just as a ricer will mill down things like tomatoes for a sauce. (Especially cherry tomatoes. tongue.png ) Who said size doesn't matter?

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Might want to look for a ricer as that''s what it's called in the culinary world

With all due respect to the chef, I believe this one is called a Food Mill. A 'ricer' is usually smaller, perhaps 3-4 inches across. A Food Mill, as 'I' know it, looks quite similar but is about 7-8 inches in diameter, two quart in capacity. On the other hand, a food mill will 'rice' a LOT of potatoes at one time, just as a ricer will mill down things like tomatoes for a sauce. (Especially cherry tomatoes. tongue.png ) Who said size doesn't matter?

Just to make it clear, a ricer isn't just a smaller version of a food mill. It's completely different in appearance and quite different in operation . Just google images of a ricer and food mill. What this person is looking for is definitely a food mill. I believe I saw at least one European brand for sale at Central Festivals central dept. store. But it wasn't cheap - maybe 2000 baht.

Just to make it clear, a ricer isn't just a smaller version of a food mill. It's completely different in appearance and quite different in operation . Just google images of a ricer and food mill. What this person is looking for is definitely a food mill. I believe I saw at least one European brand for sale at Central Festivals central dept. store. But it wasn't cheap - maybe 2000 baht.

When I started this thread I didn't know what a ricer was and I had certain;y never heard of a Mouli Legume. From Google it appears that a food mill and a Mouli Legume are the same thing but a ricer is different.

I am looking for a food mill (Mouli Legume), mainly to process tomatoes which I hope will be coming from my garden in 3 months time! I am germinating the seeds from fresh tomatoes now.

Thank you for the responses so far. Yok is the obvious first place to look. When I was a youngster I came from a very poor family but the one bit of kitchen equipment I do remember was a press to remove tomato skins and seeds from cooked tomatoes. I don't think it was called a food mill in those days but it is exactly what I want and is hard to find these days.

Yeah and 'legume' describes members of the bean/pea family of plants aka Fabaceae, formerly the Leguminosae.

I've used this hand kitchen device many times, wife called it a 'ricer', maybe she was mistaken. But it worked well for many food tasks. Cheap, simple, easy to clean, effective. Just don't lose the nut.

"I am looking for a food mill (Mouli Legume), mainly to process tomatoes which I hope will be coming from my garden in 3 months time! I am germinating the seeds from fresh tomatoes now."

Hope that the tomatoes weren't hybrid as the seeds will not be true to what you had.

I thought that's what the Chefs at culinary school called it, perhaps I'm mistaken but I don't remember anything the net shows as a ricer in any Proffesional kitchen and it doesn't look like it could handle it. I'll go with FolkGuitar's explanation though. If you google "ricer pictures" you get pics of small customized Japanese cars, maybe that's where they got the term "souped" up :)

The is a store at the end of the 108 Hang Dong Road that sells food mills, manual meat grinders, electric mixers, electric fryers, industrial catering equipment, you name it, it has it.

Below is the Google street view that shows the exact location of the store. I don`t think the store is open on weekends.

post-110219-0-16412000-1412090278_thumb.

post-110219-0-94168500-1412090299_thumb.

post-110219-0-79644500-1412090312_thumb.

post-110219-0-46505300-1412090370_thumb.

post-110219-0-35040400-1412090409_thumb.

I never knew they were called food mills, I only ever knew them as mouli's. There are a few largish suppliers of kitchen wares such as this dotted around town, look for shops with big weighing scales outside, I'm quite sure I've seen them in one of them.

I thought that's what the Chefs at culinary school called it, perhaps I'm mistaken but I don't remember anything the net shows as a ricer in any Proffesional kitchen and it doesn't look like it could handle it. I'll go with FolkGuitar's explanation though. If you google "ricer pictures" you get pics of small customized Japanese cars, maybe that's where they got the term "souped" up smile.png

Look under "potato ricer"

The is a store at the end of the 108 Hang Dong Road that sells food mills, manual meat grinders, electric mixers, electric fryers, industrial catering equipment, you name it, it has it.

Below is the Google street view that shows the exact location of the store. I don`t think the store is open on weekends.

Here are the GPS coordinates. The name of the store is Nakhorn Kilo. It's part of a chain.

I tried the shop at the end of Hang Dong Road, across from Airport Central, Yok and Bakers Mart but none of these shops have it.

This does surprise me because I bought one myself from that Hang Dong Road store about 9 months ago.

I know they had some on the first floor at the Hang Dong branch of Makros. Maybe worth a look.