How to get the extension of the visa exemption ?

Hello ! wai.gif

I just need a very simple information about the 30 days extension of the visa exemption.

What should I do to get it?

I have to request it when I arrived at the airport (when they stamp the first 30 days)? Or I have to go and ask at the immigration office (in Phuket)?

Any specific documents to be presented ?

Thanks a lot ! wai2.gifsmile.png

You can get the 30 day exension at any immigration office as long as you have a local address to put on the application form.

You need a completed TM7 application form with a photo attached, Copy of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card. The fee is 1900 baht.

• Like 2

I am very interested in how you will be allowed on the plane to Thailand if you intend to get a 30 day visa exemption extension after you arrive. If your outward ticket is MORE than 30 days from your entry, will they let you on the plane. ? Please let us know how you get on as I have always anticipated this as a problem.

That can be a problem, but depends on the airline and the place you are flying from.

In Europe many airlines will check if youhave a ticket out within 30 days, in Asia that is less likely. Immigraiton normally does not check if you have an outbound ticket, unless they have a reason to do so.

I am very interested in how you will be allowed on the plane to Thailand if you intend to get a 30 day visa exemption extension after you arrive. If your outward ticket is MORE than 30 days from your entry, will they let you on the plane. ? Please let us know how you get on as I have always anticipated this as a problem.

Suggest you read this thread or the 101 other threads on the topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

The guidelines for airlines seem to imply you must have documentation for your next destination. I would guess if you have a onward ticket there would not be a problem. The thing the airlines worry about is being stuck with paying your airfare if you are refused entry to Thailand. If you have paid for an onward ticket that would solve that problem. Even if you had no visa and a ticket out in 30 days, if you were refused entry, the airline wouldn't be overly worried that you might have to sit for days in the departure lounge trying to reschedule your flight out ... as long as they didn't have to pay for it.

That can be a problem, but depends on the airline and the place you are flying from.

In Europe many airlines will check if youhave a ticket out within 30 days, in Asia that is less likely. Immigraiton normally does not check if you have an outbound ticket, unless they have a reason to do so.

'In Europe many airlines will check if you have a ticket out within 30 days ..."

You're undoubtedly correct, but it seems a ticket out in 30 days or 45 days or 59 days hardly makes a difference. If you are refused entry to Thailand, you'll have to either sit in the departure lounge for 30 days or 45 days or ... and more likely you'd have to try to change to a flight that leaves sooner. At least if you have a ticket paid for, the airline that flew you in won't get stuck for your airfare, especially if the onward booking is with the same airline and they'd probably make the effort to be rid of you as soon as possible.

And surely the airlines are aware that since 29th August if someone is admitted with a visa exemption he is now eligible for a 30 day, more or less automatically available, extension.

Edited by Suradit69

The new rule is no concenr of the airline.

Airlines are conderned with the rule that if they ttake a passenger to Thailand without the correct paperwork (passport, ticket out) they will have to bear the cost of repatriation that person to the point of origin and can be fined 10,000 baht per passenger as well.

On my last trip I was actually sort of in this category, except that the 30d extension option was not then in effect (or even announced). I had a return ticket, but not within 30d of initial arrival. The airline did question this, but seemed happy with my explanation of a planned side-trip to the PI within that 1st 30d followed by a return to Thailand and finally my return trip with them. That seemed to satisfy them, but I am a frequent flyer with them, and I probably wouldn't do that again.

Now that the 30d extension option DOES exist, I would expect most airlines to accept your explanation of that being your intention. But it's definitely one of those potential gotchas. Like immigration officers, airline check-in staff can be very, emm. "discretionary" WRT how they do things.

A mate of mine just did an extension and it cost him 3,000

That's curious. Both the new 30d extension on a visa exempt entry and the 30d extension on a tourist visa, are supposed to be B1900. Did your friend also have to go and get a passport photo taken, or was it something other than a plain vanilla 30d extension on a t-v or v-e entry?

Not all travellers buy tickets that cannot be changed so a change of travelling date is easily done with a flexible ticket.

And surely the airlines are aware that since 29th August if someone is admitted with a visa exemption he is now eligible for a 30 day, more or less automatically available, extension.

Surely they are not aware, and the regulations that are pulled from an online database will not change, just like they did not change when the 3 months in 6 regulation was repealed in 2008.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

So who travel with no visa and not ticket with 30 days will still have to adopt a method from there:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

Not all travellers buy tickets that cannot be changed so a change of travelling date is easily done with a flexible ticket.

Yes, which is significantly more expensive!