Getting Latest Shuttle Xpc Models

autonomous_unit

I am very interested in getting one of the newest Shuttle XPC small form-factor computers, e.g. one that uses the new AMD AM2 socket or perhaps the latest that has been announced to support Intel Core 2 Duo chips as well as current socket 775 chips. However, the only supplier listed on Shuttle's website seems to carry a set of old obsolete Shuttle models...

Have any Shuttle aficionado here already investigated this issue? Are there any easy and legitimate ways to get the newest models here? I don't want the top of the line expensive chip, but a system that can take a mid-range chip now and be upgraded to "next year's value chip" as well... so the newer socket and memory systems, etc.

Alternatively, do people have experience carrying a small computer in their luggage on arrival in BKK? :o It is a little too big for carry-on comfort, so do they (customs) xray checked bags on arrival? Do you have to declare a $500 computer? What would the duty fees/fines be like... maybe I should just try to get one my next trip abroad? I've never been stopped in the green lane, but there is always room for a first time...

I guess one other option is to see if enough of you are interested to propose a group buy to the official reseller at Pantip, in case he can special order the latest models with enough units ear-marked for customers? I am not sure we understood him correctly, but he seemed to suggest he can special order when there are at least 5 units... not sure if it has to be quantity five of the same unit, or just 5 new units from Shuttle. These are nice little "toaster sized" barebones computers that take a CPU, a video card, a couple sticks of RAM and 2-3 disk drives. He seems to sell the models he has for around 15-16k THB, which is a modest markup over western prices for the same models...

Thanks, I looked into it a bit more, and it seems it is just a lot easier to go with the flow and get separate components and a standard (cavernous) ATX case... as you say, I guess there just isn't enough demand or volume to bring in the more unusual combinations.

Too bad there isn't some Asia-wide mail-order supplier you can order the latest from, like you can get the latest stuff shipped to your door even in any backwater state in the US. :o

Mailorder is really dependent on credit card transactions to take off. Problem is that Thailand hasn't really caught on to using credit cards yet... cash is still the preferred medium. In the US, practically every retailer accepts credit cards, from Wal Mart to the hot dog peddler on the sidewalk, making it nearly unnecessary (and untrendy) to carry cash around. The fact that credit card transactions for Thai retailers are charged 1.5-3% doesn't help matters, since usually times the fee is passed on to the customer as a surcharge. Most Thai online retailers still prefer bank transfers for payment, but that means a trip to the bank/ATM, which isn't all that different from a trip to the shop in most cases. Another thing that is lacking is a good delivery system... EMS or regular post are cheap but not comparable to FedEx.

As for getting a "standard" case, you should look into getting a quality one, the likes of Thermaltake or Lian Li. They really do make a difference.

• 2 months later...
Mailorder is really dependent on credit card transactions to take off. Problem is that Thailand hasn't really caught on to using credit cards yet... cash is still the preferred medium. In the US, practically every retailer accepts credit cards, from Wal Mart to the hot dog peddler on the sidewalk, making it nearly unnecessary (and untrendy) to carry cash around. The fact that credit card transactions for Thai retailers are charged 1.5-3% doesn't help matters, since usually times the fee is passed on to the customer as a surcharge. Most Thai online retailers still prefer bank transfers for payment, but that means a trip to the bank/ATM, which isn't all that different from a trip to the shop in most cases. Another thing that is lacking is a good delivery system... EMS or regular post are cheap but not comparable to FedEx.

As for getting a "standard" case, you should look into getting a quality one, the likes of Thermaltake or Lian Li. They really do make a difference.

I think the poster is REALLY interested in a SFF (Small Form Factor) PC, not just any computer.

Shuttle announced the SD37P2 in Taiwan at Computex. Since then, I have also anxiously awaited it. It has the latest Intel chipset (775).

If you look at mail-order sites it is just being offered in U.S. While many offer it, it is still Out of Stock. I learned that initial samples had problems with cooling (not surprising). I have beaten the bush at Pantip Plaza and found no vendors who carry it yet, although I did find a few vendors who carry the Shuttle line. This is as recently as three weeks ago.

If you've found one, please let me know.

I had a shuttle mini pc made up for me a year or so ago at Fortune IT - ditched the floppy and stuck 2 250GB hard drives in it.

Very quiet, cute etc etc.

That shop doesn't seem to stock and build them anymore - but there are a few other small form factor pc's around.... have a wander round Fortune...

coops

I had a shuttle mini pc made up for me a year or so ago at Fortune IT - ditched the floppy and stuck 2 250GB hard drives in it.

Very quiet, cute etc etc.

That shop doesn't seem to stock and build them anymore - but there are a few other small form factor pc's around.... have a wander round Fortune...

coops

Yeah, but I'm waiting for Core 2 Duo support. Shuttle's newly announced (well, June) SD37P2 has it.

I am highly interested in my next machine being small form factor. It seems we are finally past the stage of "my tower is bigger and therefore better than yours" and the small boxes get rid of all the stupid plastic frills and oblique shapes that do nothing other than ruin the ergonomics.

There is an even newer trend which is to build even smaller cases using laptop components. This makes them even tinier. The first generation of them don't seem to offer the ability to plug in a nice graphics card so I'm still waiting for something better. But I think this is the future. Laptops are quickly bridging the technology gap with desktops and starting to dominate the market. That will mean their components will become better and cheaper than their full size counterparts over time. You can see just how small they are on the shuttle home page--about the size of a medium pizza box.

But I accept getting such trendy cases in Thailand is going to be a losing battle for availability and probably price so the good thing about them is they are so compact they are simple to fit in a suitcase.

I am highly interested in my next machine being small form factor. It seems we are finally past the stage of "my tower is bigger and therefore better than yours" and the small boxes get rid of all the stupid plastic frills and oblique shapes that do nothing other than ruin the ergonomics.

There is an even newer trend which is to build even smaller cases using laptop components. This makes them even tinier. The first generation of them don't seem to offer the ability to plug in a nice graphics card so I'm still waiting for something better. But I think this is the future. Laptops are quickly bridging the technology gap with desktops and starting to dominate the market. That will mean their components will become better and cheaper than their full size counterparts over time. You can see just how small they are on the shuttle home page--about the size of a medium pizza box.

But I accept getting such trendy cases in Thailand is going to be a losing battle for availability and probably price so the good thing about them is they are so compact they are simple to fit in a suitcase.

Right, I agree. But I don't want to make the sacrifices in performance that come basing a system a laptop. I want a full-performace desktop but I don't want to sacrifice the space. I'm not a gamer, so I don't need a 10,000 baht graphics card, but I'd like to pick and choose WHICH graphics card I'm going to put in it.

I guess I can wait, but you know how that goes....

The login.co.th site is hilarious. They keep adding products to the site but never ever remove anything so you have internal dvd writers for 10000 baht and 512mb SD cards for 15000 baht. It does show you how cheap hardware has become now that you can buy the same size SD card for 5% of the price.

I think the poster is REALLY interested in a SFF (Small Form Factor) PC, not just any computer.

Shuttle announced the SD37P2 in Taiwan at Computex. Since then, I have also anxiously awaited it. It has the latest Intel chipset (775).

If you look at mail-order sites it is just being offered in U.S. While many offer it, it is still Out of Stock. I learned that initial samples had problems with cooling (not surprising). I have beaten the bush at Pantip Plaza and found no vendors who carry it yet, although I did find a few vendors who carry the Shuttle line. This is as recently as three weeks ago.

If you've found one, please let me know.

I notice that many vendors in US have received stock on this product. Maybe we'll see some in a month or two.