Riverside Condos 2014

mberbae

Many thanks for the clarity.

I have a potential interest as I am looking to invest. A pertinent question to ask is what is the value of the sinking fund now compared to the opening balance? How many owners are in arrears with their annual management fees? What action is being taken against any owners in arrears?

The Sinking Fund is subsidising the Common Area Fund ( which pays for the day to day operations of the Condos - staff, electric, insurance etc.etc ). The Common Area fees ( 10 bht p/sq.met ) have NOT been increased in over 20 + years and are amongst the lowest in CM. A small increase ( 10 baht p/sq met ) seems logical.

The Sinking Fund amount can be obtained by visiting the Juristic Manager inside the lobby ).

As for condo owners in arrears - There are a few...with a fair amount of debt outstanding. The current Committee addressed this issue last week....with proposals to send out a Letter giving those owners 90 days to clear their accounts. If they do not - then water and electric can be cut off from those condos.

Other condos that have had NO tennants living in them, and have been repossesed by the bank....the JPM will try to see what the Debt amount is - before proceeding with legal action at the Land Office to reposses those units.

Since there has never been a computerized data base at Riverside for all bills/wages/fees/ etc.etc....the Committee is exploring the best way to establish a modernized method of keeping records - rather than relying on the paper bills currently in use, but very time consuming when trying to retrieve data from past months/years.

mwb

• Like 1

The Sinking Fund is subsidising the Common Area Fund ( which pays for the day to day operations of the Condos - staff, electric, insurance etc.etc ). The Common Area fees ( 10 bht p/sq.met ) have NOT been increased in over 20 + years and are amongst the lowest in CM. A small increase ( 10 baht p/sq met ) seems logical.

The Sinking Fund amount can be obtained by visiting the Juristic Manager inside the lobby ).

As for condo owners in arrears - There are a few...with a fair amount of debt outstanding. The current Committee addressed this issue last week....with proposals to send out a Letter giving those owners 90 days to clear their accounts. If they do not - then water and electric can be cut off from those condos.

Other condos that have had NO tennants living in them, and have been repossesed by the bank....the JPM will try to see what the Debt amount is - before proceeding with legal action at the Land Office to reposses those units.

Since there has never been a computerized data base at Riverside for all bills/wages/fees/ etc.etc....the Committee is exploring the best way to establish a modernized method of keeping records - rather than relying on the paper bills currently in use, but very time consuming when trying to retrieve data from past months/years.

mwb

Thanks for the reply. 10 baht sqm / month says it all. I wonder if the JPM really knows the extent of what is surviving in the sinking fund? It is a figure that I would want immediately to hand if I was an owner.

I agree with the other poster above; 30 baht sqm seems about the going rate. I should have thought an older building such as yours would need every baht of sinking fund to get ready for certain unforeseen expenditures in the future. What happens when the sinking fund runs out? Building closes?

I appreciate you are trying to fix the mess, but as an investor, I'm out.

Good luck with your endeavour.

B30 sqm ,for an old building ? No way ,but B20 would be about right .My previous old (15 year old ) Condo ,right on Jomtien Beach road is about that .(B6,000 per year ) ,for a 28 sqm Studio .

Edited by anto
  • Like 2

Depreciation Assets does not bring cash into the Common Area Fund to pay the operating expenses. As it is - We have 41 owners who are in arears....10 of which are bank Repo's. Being a relatively New Committee...( 4 weeks ) they are in the process of finding legal ways to recover past due fees. All options are on the table. Dealing with a Bank such as SCB, however, can be more expensive than it's worth. Time will tell...but the wheels are turning.

As for the Sinking Fund and the fear of it being " frivolously spent ". NO Sinking Fund monies can be used without an AGM. Most owners agree that the fixing of the cracks - painting of the building - and getting rid of the moniker " Bird Shit Condos " was a real benefit to Riverside joint owners. Some naysayers may disagree....but they are certainly in the minority.

Arguably, living at Riverside - offers some of the best views in CM. And MUCH less traffic than the " trendy " West side.

• Like 2

Depreciation Assets does not bring cash into the Common Area Fund to pay the operating expenses. As it is - We have 41 owners who are in arears....10 of which are bank Repo's. Being a relatively New Committee...( 4 weeks ) they are in the process of finding legal ways to recover past due fees. All options are on the table. Dealing with a Bank such as SCB, however, can be more expensive than it's worth. Time will tell...but the wheels are turning.

As for the Sinking Fund and the fear of it being " frivolously spent ". NO Sinking Fund monies can be used without an AGM. Most owners agree that the fixing of the cracks - painting of the building - and getting rid of the moniker " Bird Shit Condos " was a real benefit to Riverside joint owners. Some naysayers may disagree....but they are certainly in the minority.

Arguably, living at Riverside - offers some of the best views in CM. And MUCH less traffic than the " trendy " West side.

You misunderstand my point about depreciation. Co-owners wil argue about sinking funds for many reasons, some quite valid. But unless you properly depreciate assets in the accounts, then there will not be enough in the kitty to replace lifts etc etc when the time comes .

And if that depreciation is shown in the operating expenses then co-owners can see the real cost of running the condo and are far more likely to meet those costs than they are to toss cash into a sinking fund with an undefined purpose

That's all

• Like 1

Every condo I have seen differs in size, location, facilities, staffing, parking,age and historical baggage.

Therefore, It is not instructive to compare per sq metre charges in different buildings - actually it is misleading.

Get happy with the real operating costs, divide them by the total chargeable co-owner sq metre, and that will tell you what you need. Simple surely?

The entire dialogue turns me off from ever wanting to buy or stay there.

Sorry, but your conversation is simply depreciating the value of your assets and I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment!

^^^^^^me thinks the exact opposite

I.M.O. i feel its refreshing that the o/p has got the balls to discuss the condos present situation on the board

and his posts have been of very good contents and straight from the hip

and its been a very good P.R. job so far ,therefore it only helps the condo in question,and gives a valuable insight to members of the pitfalls of condos in c/mai

this condo is not alone,u can count on e/s word on that..a nice afternoon tosmile.png

Of course the OP has done a good job with his posts, less so however regarding the character of Riverside. goodness me, over 500 units in one building, status of the sinking fund unclear and the JP and residence committee ousted by the government, turns me off at least.

Very surprised to hear some of the negative comments concerning Riverside Condo. Personally have lived here for two years and even during the recent troubles have found the staff friendly and experienced no problems in the running of the Condo. There have been regular notices advising tenants what's happening and I have always felt safe and secure. Keep up the good work Riverside - certainly no reason for complaint from this tenant.

• Like 1

There's lots of agents trying to specialize in Riverside condo's, most are the wives of farang owners, just do a google search.

We've looked at a number of units there and none have been of any interest, from a desirability or price standpoint. If you do find something that interests you, before you buy, go to the 19th floor and look at the filled cracks in the hallway walls, buyer beware.

Out of interest, is there somewhere online where you can look at what's for sale there?

I do like the location.

Good location Chic, right opposite Nong Hoi fresh market and just around the corner from Rajavej hospital.

Quite convenient with or without personal transport

http://chiangmairiversidecondo.com/

As with all condo listings, when you try to buy, you find that they are just...listings, that were sold sometime before.

I am unaware of many for sale in Riverside, and when trying to buy in the past, have been gazumped. There may be a few apparently on the market, but at fancy prices. Quite a few owners are multiple owners as they like to live there and have their rental properties close by.

I would be interested to hear of any sensibly priced units with at least one bedroom- not a studio - and a river view, on floors 9-18. Of course the vendors view of 'sensible' may not be mine....

• Like 1

Out of interest, is there somewhere online where you can look at what's for sale there?

I do like the location.

Good location Chic, right opposite Nong Hoi fresh market and just around the corner from Rajavej hospital.

As with all condo listings, when you try to buy, you find that they are just...listings, that were sold sometime before.

I am unaware of many for sale in Riverside, and when trying to buy in the past, have been gazumped. There may be a few apparently on the market, but at fancy prices. Quite a few owners are multiple owners as they like to live there and have their rental properties close by.

I would be interested to hear of any sensibly priced units with at least one bedroom- not a studio - and a river view, on floors 9-18. Of course the vendors view of 'sensible' may not be mine....

Good grief: Try standing ion the lobby of RS and shouting, "I want to buy a condo here", alternatively, ask the receptionists.

If that fails, try the agent on the ground floor office and if that doesn't work, PM me and I'll give you the email addresses of three agents who keep bugging me and keep sending me details.

Sensibly priced, that's another story!

I do like the location.

Good grief: Try standing ion the lobby of RS and shouting, "I want to buy a condo here", alternatively, ask the receptionists.

If that fails, try the agent on the ground floor office and if that doesn't work, PM me and I'll give you the email addresses of three agents who keep bugging me and keep sending me details.

Sensibly priced, that's another story!

tried that- also pm'd you. Thanks!

I do like the location.

Can't answer your question but the Riverside is a great place to live in Chiang Mai. It has good location, and being older may be the reason that many units are larger than in newer condos.

I've lived there twice because I liked it the first time. I was fortunate to find a unit available for 90 days and later for 180 days.

I found it very friendly, clean, and comfortable. I'd never buy in Thailand partly because I'm part time and partly because rents are cheap.

I had great views and in every way I was satisfied. If I was an owner dealing with owner issues it might be different, I don't know.

• Like 2