Forum addiction..Are forums healthy?

krisb

I am not addicted at all, but I do like to participate in an online community. Like any community, some people contribute more than others. smile.png

Let's look at the word 'contribution' for a minute.

Khutan only likes to 'contribute'.

He contributes regularly however. It's much more than just a social contribution, it's fastly become regular contributions.

I think he's in denial here.

Addict.

Do you see the word "ONLY" in the post you've quoted

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CrazyNowLazy: YES I am newly addicted to (TV) Forum!!!

I relocated to Asia from U.S.A. 2004/3. I first living in the Philippines and relocated to Thailand about two years ago. But fortunately TV Forum is a lot better than many of my many other addictions I have had in the past. It informative on living here in Thailand with news and current events. Along with keeping me laughing and not taking living here to seriously… wink.png

Thanks to all the members who share here pointing out all the humor there is to enjoy living here in Thailand. I just want to thank everyone for making me feel right at home here and keeping me in good health through laughter. I laugh everyday while reading TVF. It so great to know my Filipina GF and I are not the only ones who know how to use good English and grammar living here in Thailand too… cheesy.gif

I am not addicted at all, but I do like to participate in an online community. Like any community, some people contribute more than others. smile.png

To the OP. Not addicted, but would hate to be without Thaivisa, as I have had so much help from other posters, with cars, banks, computers, visas etc etc etc.

• Like 1

CrazyNowLazy: YES I am newly addicted to (TV) Forum!!!

I relocated to Asia from U.S.A. 2004/3. I first living in the Philippines and relocated to Thailand about two years ago. But fortunately TV Forum is a lot better than many of my many other addictions I have had in the past. It informative on living here in Thailand with news and current events. Along with keeping me laughing and not taking living here to seriously… wink.png

Thanks to all the members who share here pointing out all the humor there is to enjoy living here in Thailand. I just want to thank everyone for making me feel right at home here and keeping me in good health through laughter. I laugh everyday while reading TVF. It so great to know my Filipina GF and I are not the only ones who know how to use good English and grammar living here in Thailand too… cheesy.gif

Addicted after the first post!!

No will power what so ever.

(George says the first ones always free btw)wink.png

To the OP. Not addicted, but would hate to be without Thaivisa, as I have had so much help from other posters, with cars, banks, computers, visas etc etc etc.

Hmm....

Not addicted, but then goes on to say he would hate to not have it.

In denial.

Addict.

Hello fellow addicts. My name is Clutch and I am a TVF-aholic.

Is this where the 12-step program meets?

No not here in this smoke filled den.

We have yearly meetings to discuss our addictions. These are held in local pubs in Bangkok, and roll on till the early hours.

You are welcome to our next meeting, we shall let you know when.

For visa advice it's invaluable and the mods generally come down hard on inappropriate posts in those threads, but how many contributors spend more than 9 months out of 12 actually living in Thailand, and how many posts are copy-and-paste from wikipedia, etc. ?

Having said that - it's public forum and not the worst, but not the best either.

I see Krisp is a poster for about 2 and-a-half years and is in Oz, but has a posting rate of about 50 per week wink.png

Edited by jpinx

For visa advice it's invaluable and the mods generally come down hard on inappropriate posts in those threads, but how many contributors spend more than 9 months out of 12 actually living in Thailand, and how many posts are copy-and-paste from wikipedia, etc. ?

Having said that - it's public forum and not the worst, but not the best either.

I see Krisp is a poster for about 2 and-a-half years and is in Oz, but has a posting rate of about 50 per week wink.png

My post rate goes up on Friday nights for some strange reason.wink.png

• Like 2

It's really a matter of keeping things in perspective. For example, I get up in the morning, unplug the iPad and spend the next half hour sitting on the toilet doing a quick look-see of TV. So, as I said, perspective.

Then it's coffee and biscuits for half an hour, doing some replies to TV topics. Perspective.

After that, it's around to the swimming pool for an hour of low-cal exercise, then home and relax for half an hour, replying to the replies. The day is coming along nicely.

Then it's a spot of gardening and another hour of reading and joking on TV only, no other distractions. The day is in full swing.

Then it's time to think about lunch, so I go on TV again to see what JT, KK or one of the other learned scribes recommends.

A quick trip out on the bike to grab some tucker and then home again with lunch and the iPad propped up on the table while I eat. TV helps with my digestion.

Then it's a nap to prepare for the afternoon's exciting adventures of TV and other things that fall into perspective.

So no, kris, I'm not in denial.

• Like 2

Hmm....

Not addicted, but then goes on to say he would hate to not have it.

In denial.

Addict.

Not addicted, as means not having to spend hours every day on it.

It's really a matter of keeping things in perspective. For example, I get up in the morning, unplug the iPad and spend the next half hour sitting on the toilet doing a quick look-see of TV. So, as I said, perspective.

Then it's coffee and biscuits for half an hour, doing some replies to TV topics. Perspective.

After that, it's around to the swimming pool for an hour of low-cal exercise, then home and relax for half an hour, replying to the replies. The day is coming along nicely.

Then it's a spot of gardening and another hour of reading and joking on TV only, no other distractions. The day is in full swing.

Then it's time to think about lunch, so I go on TV again to see what JT, KK or one of the other learned scribes recommends.

A quick trip out on the bike to grab some tucker and then home again with lunch and the iPad propped up on the table while I eat. TV helps with my digestion.

Then it's a nap to prepare for the afternoon's exciting adventures of TV and other things that fall into perspective.

So no, kris, I'm not in denial.

clap2.gif

Wow what a day!...in retrospective.

I try to read the forum daily....I find it an excellent way of keeping up with what is happening in Thailand where I now live, I will contribute if I think I have something positive to add. I follow the news from back home too on a daily basis for the same reasons.

You're on the money dotpoom, I couldn't describe my own interaction with ThaiVisa better.

When at work I'm kinda bandwidth challenged, so I rarely post even if the subject matter is something I strongly believe/not believe in.

But even apart from the news forums, ThaiVisa has been so much help getting myself setup in Thailand. The list is too long to go into, but ThaiVisa has become my first port of call if there's something I need to do here.

So thanks ThaiVisa, and thanks to the fair dinkum folks who post good advice and genuinely want to help other folks out when they have a question..

• Like 2

I have noticed a number of times when the OP isn't read or interpreted correctly; and the following posts evolve into heated argument about something totally irrelevant. Sometimes we need more than a keyboard to express ourselves properly.

^^ NumbNut ... you always get my attention because you know the Brekkie Creek Hotel ... licklips.gif ... and ... drunk.gif

Good onya Dave, you've been one of the blokes that has helped me out in the past, and it was, and still is, very much appreciated! Thailand can be a daunting prospect when you first lob in, you don't know what's going on eh.

Your posts get my attention too Dave, because you're either trying to help someone out or you're having a giggle with them (and not at them... something that happens quite a bit here at ThaiVisa). I've never seen you take a cheap shot at anyone. You're fair dinkum Dave, would love to buy you a beer(s) sometime burp.gif

offtopic2.gif

Who do you fancy in the NRL Grand Final? It's been a long time between drinks for the Bunnies and the Doggies are, errr, underdogs... or should that be uberdogs? It's a Grand Final eh, too big to call really. And I'm going to miss it as I'm working... not to worry.

Edited by NumbNut
  • Like 1

I admit to be addicted.

First step in what?

I'm addicted to coffee too.

First step in the morning!

I admire you can admit to being a forum addict.

Your statistics gave you away anyhow, but still you weren't shy to admit.

Too much coffee is not good right?

Do you think forum addiction is honestly healthy?

I have noticed amongst your light hearted fun on here, you also enjoy a good heated debate, and refuse to back down.

Is this healthy? It's all fun and games until the obvious stress is clearly visible.

I don't drink too much coffee. I am physically addicted though. It is not a problem.

Forum use can have benefits and pitfalls. I have experienced both. I wouldn't want to give it up but yes I could cut it down. I feel I have actually been successful in getting less obsessive about responding to abusive trolls every time. That can indeed be stressful and turn into a black hole. I think using the ignore function can be a good tool to help with that. I realize many people don't understand the use of ignore and think it's copping out. But in my case as a high visibility member, some trolls predictably view me as a big target (stalkers might be a better description of them) for their big fun and it just takes too much energy and time to deal with them.

I'm about a year away from retiring to the LOS and use the forum to keep up on what is going on there. I spend about I hour in the morning with coffee and TVF. I admit it took me a while to find the ignore button and grow another layer of skin. I really wish TVF would add a dislike button!

If addicted means whatever you want it to mean then I could be addicted. But I am very isolated up here, if I want to have a conversation in English it requires either an hour drive or a phone call. Thai Visa usually has some topic running that I get involved in. But when I make my way back to civilization Thai Visa ceases to exist. So I don't think I am addicted.

If addicted means whatever you want it to mean then I could be addicted. But I am very isolated up here, if I want to have a conversation in English it requires either an hour drive or a phone call. Thai Visa usually has some topic running that I get involved in. But when I make my way back to civilization Thai Visa ceases to exist. So I don't think I am addicted.

I'm considering opening a Bedders thread titled "the trouble with canuckamuck".... Cos you are just too nice.

You could go there when you're having a bad day and abuse us all.....its good to let off steam sometimes!

My post rate goes up on Friday nights for some strange reason.wink.png

And how many years have i been telling you to only drink JD on friday nights??...

Who do you fancy in the NRL Grand Final? It's been a long time between drinks for the Bunnies and the Doggies are, errr, underdogs... or should that be uberdogs? It's a Grand Final eh, too big to call really. And I'm going to miss it as I'm working... not to worry.

Mate, your words are too kind ... wink.png

Re the game ... go the Bunnies.

For me ... for many ... our 'second' team.

Maybe because they are Rugby League Heart Land.

So, in true fashion ... meeting up in Bangkok with 3 other members from the Forum to watch the game.

• Like 1