Does the Good Outweigh the Bad?

NoshowJones

I know this topic is not original, but does the good outweigh the bad here in Thailand? I think the good outweighs the bad by a long way.

I have kids who need an education and a safe adolescence. Thailand is not the right place for that.

I agree with your first point, but your second?

Would you not agree that the 2nd can be linked to the 1st ?

I'm not sure, exactly what is meant by safe adolescence.

Use your imagination, although you had me doubting too for a moment.

I know this topic is not original, but does the good outweigh the bad here in Thailand? I think the good outweighs the bad by a long way.

I have kids who need an education and a safe adolescence. Thailand is not the right place for that.

The prevelance of gang fights, knives, ya baa, motorcycles, wild night life and all the rest of it makes it bloody dangerous.

My best friends son was hit and killed riding pillion on a bike. Thailand is a permissive place to discipline a child.

The prevelance of gang fights, knives, ya baa, motorcycles, wild night life and all the rest of it makes it bloody dangerous.

My best friends son was hit and killed riding pillion on a bike. Thailand is a permissive place to discipline a child.

its less permissive than western countries

• Like 1

The biggest problem is the parents, so many of them give the keys of their motorbike to their underage children. the other things you mention are probably worse in the UK.

Good and Bad - they are everywhere.

Besides the Good and Bad depends on how you look at it.

Don't try to change things - go with the current.

This is a life saver.

So many guys here try to change it for the better only to get what they ran away from.

I intend to die here. Must be good for me.

• Like 1

If you sat down and tried to write out a list of what's good and bad about living here, comparing it with your experiences in your first world country, it would be long and contentious. I think most of us agree on the major points (corruption seeping out of every nook and cranny, for example), but often it's the small, niggly things that we tend to blow out of proportion - probably because they are more personal. Some of us have expressed our frustration with these things in posts on TV, only to be shot down for whining about trivial matters or for not seeing the bigger picture - or for simply being a complainer or a curmudgeon (gads, I love that word :)). Some times you get the comment, "if you don't like it, leave". But even minor "bad" issues deserve some acknowledgement, even if it only helps to release some pressure among some like-minded souls.

Example? I think it's bad that bar girls in bars in my otherwise quiet suburban area screech at you when you ride past on your bike. It's distracting, unseemly and uncouth. I like unseemly and uncouth in Walking Street, but not outside the entrance to my mooban where there are many families. Right, now someone shoot me down. :)

• Like 1

If you sat down and tried to write out a list of what's good and bad about living here, comparing it with your experiences in your first world country, it would be long and contentious. I think most of us agree on the major points (corruption seeping out of every nook and cranny, for example), but often it's the small, niggly things that we tend to blow out of proportion - probably because they are more personal. Some of us have expressed our frustration with these things in posts on TV, only to be shot down for whining about trivial matters or for not seeing the bigger picture - or for simply being a complainer or a curmudgeon (gads, I love that word smile.png). Some times you get the comment, "if you don't like it, leave". But even minor "bad" issues deserve some acknowledgement, even if it only helps to release some pressure among some like-minded souls.

Example? I think it's bad that bar girls in bars in my otherwise quiet suburban area screech at you when you ride past on your bike. It's distracting, unseemly and uncouth. I like unseemly and uncouth in Walking Street, but not outside the entrance to my mooban where there are many families. Right, now someone shoot me down. smile.png

curmudgeon can't hold a candle to GADS!!!!

Good and Bad - they are everywhere.

Besides the Good and Bad depends on how you look at it.

Don't try to change things - go with the current.

This is a life saver.

So many guys here try to change it for the better only to get what they ran away from.

I intend to die here. Must be good for me.

Hmmm..probably not so much change it......more to show that there are different ways of looking at or doing things.

If you sat down and tried to write out a list of what's good and bad about living here, comparing it with your experiences in your first world country, it would be long and contentious. I think most of us agree on the major points (corruption seeping out of every nook and cranny, for example), but often it's the small, niggly things that we tend to blow out of proportion - probably because they are more personal. Some of us have expressed our frustration with these things in posts on TV, only to be shot down for whining about trivial matters or for not seeing the bigger picture - or for simply being a complainer or a curmudgeon (gads, I love that word smile.png). Some times you get the comment, "if you don't like it, leave". But even minor "bad" issues deserve some acknowledgement, even if it only helps to release some pressure among some like-minded souls.

Example? I think it's bad that bar girls in bars in my otherwise quiet suburban area screech at you when you ride past on your bike. It's distracting, unseemly and uncouth. I like unseemly and uncouth in Walking Street, but not outside the entrance to my mooban where there are many families. Right, now someone shoot me down. smile.png

I would not call Thailands disgraceful road fatalities a small niggly thing.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yeah possum the good out ways the bad....most of the time.

Except today for me....accident in my shed, not good...went to Bangkok Hospital and had stitches, not good.

Got a bloody bill for 11300 baht...

maybe tomorrow will be a good day...hey?

Didn't your insurance cover it?

its less permissive than western countries

Are you kidding me? Are u seriously kidding me?

The biggest problem is the parents, so many of them give the keys of their motorbike to their underage children. the other things you mention are probably worse in the UK.

I think it depends very much where u live and your expectations. The expectations on kids differ across all social strata.

I have high expectations and matching that with Thailand ironically gets harder the more hiso the people you deal with.

The richer the families in Thailand, ironically the more feckless the children. This tends to be diametrically opposed in the west. I don't want my kids hanging out with a bunch a drugged up spoilt little rich kids whos biggest worry is the price of Louis Vuitton or why daddy didn't buy me my latest mercesdes.

Believe me, I have seen them and they are ghastly little pieces of s**t. They live INA false bubble of nothingness with no need to excel. And anyone claiming it is the same in the UK is lying.

Grades are grades and no.amount of money will buy you 3As at a level to get to Oxbridge. Thats life. Real life.

I think it depends very much where u live and your expectations. The expectations on kids differ across all social strata.

I have high expectations and matching that with Thailand ironically gets harder the more hiso the people you deal with.

The richer the families in Thailand, ironically the more feckless the children. This tends to be diametrically opposed in the west. I don't want my kids hanging out with a bunch a drugged up spoilt little rich kids whos biggest worry is the price of Louis Vuitton or why daddy didn't buy me my latest mercesdes.

Believe me, I have seen them and they are ghastly little pieces of s**t. They live INA false bubble of nothingness with no need to excel. And anyone claiming it is the same in the UK is lying.

Grades are grades and no.amount of money will buy you 3As at a level to get to Oxbridge. Thats life. Real life.

While off topic a bit, Kids are spoiled all over the world and it is getting worse by the day. This is why they grow up and have this arrogance of "entitlement" about them. In the USA its out of control and all the immigrants that moved here now have spoiled rotten Viets, Filipinos, Chinese children. I see it everywhere. Their parents have no values either. Its all about keeping up with everybody else at any cost. Its the sickness here. Some use their children as tools to show off wealth. Its not enough to brag you have the biggest house in gated community they feel compelled to extend that nonsense to the other kids in school who fall for it hook line and sinker and come home to tell Daddy and Mommy that a kid at school Dad bought him a new Iphone or BMW or the girl whose mom bought her a Chanel purse. Its all quite pathetic.

While there are elite Thais, I see very little of it in Thailand and it is refreshing. The US is contaminated with it.

As for OP's question "Does the Good outweigh the Bad". That is clearly ones point of view. I understand the question but no way it will be answered with any consistency as it means so many different things to some.

• Like 1

While off topic a bit, Kids are spoiled all over the world and it is getting worse by the day. This is why they grow up and have this arrogance of "entitlement" about them. In the USA its out of control and all the immigrants that moved here now have spoiled rotten Viets, Filipinos, Chinese children. I see it everywhere. Their parents have no values either. Its all about keeping up with everybody else at any cost. Its the sickness here. Some use their children as tools to show off wealth. Its not enough to brag you have the biggest house in gated community they feel compelled to extend that nonsense to the other kids in school who fall for it hook line and sinker and come home to tell Daddy and Mommy that a kid at school Dad bought him a new Iphone or BMW or the girl whose mom bought her a Chanel purse. Its all quite pathetic.

While there are elite Thais, I see very little of it in Thailand and it is refreshing. The US is contaminated with it.

As for OP's question "Does the Good outweigh the Bad". That is clearly ones point of view. I understand the question but no way it will be answered with any consistency as it means so many different things to some.

You see very little of it in Thailand you wrote.......

Clearly you dont know to much then.

Instantly the fat and obese children comes to mind.....everybody knows that their parents have enough money to ...well....feed them....politely put.

All the other things you wrote above happen, on an other scale in Thailand too.

Thailand is a country where, perceived, status is very important. I suggest you go out some more.

You see very little of it in Thailand you wrote.......

Clearly you dont know to much then.

Instantly the fat and obese children comes to mind.....everybody knows that their parents have enough money to ...well....feed them....politely put.

All the other things you wrote above happen, on an other scale in Thailand too.

Thailand is a country where, perceived, status is very important. I suggest you go out some more.

I didn't say it doesn't happen, I said "I see less of it". I know it exists everywhere and BKK like any big city has its share. I lived there 3 years. I saw it but nothing to the scale I see it in the US, not even close. Status is important everywhere in the world. Its why corruption exists, people want more money to have better things to be a cut above the other person. Its a social ranking of sorts. Some how money makes people better or smarter. My point is that some parents can't manage it. Their value compass is broken and their kids are just tools. Sad in many regards because their children grow up with a huge handicap. I have some very wealthy colleagues and their children are extremely humble and frugal. That's how they were raised.

• 2 weeks later...

Having lived and worked in Thailand off and on over the years, and given that I can afford to live a very comfortable life in Thailand or my home in the US, I choose the US every time. Not even close. That said, I do enjoy my visits to Thailand and there is always something new to see or do, but I'd never choose to live there full time, and my wife who is Thai concurs. She has no desire to go back to live there anymore.