Topsoil replacement in Pattaya...

Hiya,

I have decided after several years of not being able to find fresh rosemary and sage among other popular herbs for cooking to build me a small herb and vegetable garden... I have ample garden areas in my yard, but the soil is terrible. I mean really bad terrible.

Is there a company anyone can recommend that will come in and remove a portion of whats here and replace it with good planting soil? I know very little about gardening at the moment, but plan on learning over the next few months... and want to make sure I get started in the right way, with the right type and composition of soil... so I want to hire a good knowledgeable company. Any kick in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

as suggestion i would consider a soil test might be the cheapest first move on those results if not extremely adverse to try the recommended application of suitable material to upgrade based on you intended plantings

to replace soil with with a locally sourced product would maybe leave you back at square one

no matter what your supplier may tell you quality wise at the end of the day they are only really interested in selling , not quality or suitability

I suggest you do two things first. First dig a hole about 5-600mm deep (shovel width and length) fill it with water and time how long it takes for the water to percolate. Fill it again and time it again, it will take longer. Get on the web and search percolation rate and soil types.

Next buy a cheap pH kit and test the soil taken from the hole (mixed).

Once you have an idea of the soil acidity and the rate of water penetration you can start planning what to add.

• Like 1

Agree with making raised beds... most herbs don't like getting their feet wet for long periods of time...soil needs to be well drained and not too much organic matter... poorer soil usually gives more pungent flavour!

This is Oregano at a farm on Samui, but he's got mint and other herbs. He's used breeze blocks to raise soil or uses pots! .

IMG_8704.jpg

and Rosemary in pots...

IMG_8711.jpg

Hope that helps.... wink.png

• Like 2

Got some really good info here... and a great place to start. As I said I am a total gardening newbie (unless you count tilling the garden with my dad's tractor as a kid).. I never would have thought to test either water percolation or soil PH.. will do both of those ASAP.

The only thing I do know is that the soil looks nothing like our garden when I was a kid... tho I guess that may not be a good teller about the quality. Back then it was really really dark and soft, not a rock or stone around - and here its more like hard ass grey gravel than dirt.

The idea of using a raised platform is a great one. In fact... what about using movable planters? So they can be brought in (or at least under cover) during heavy rains? Is that a better idea? The number I want to plant is fairly small... a dozen small/medium planters would work fine size-wise, provided theres nothing I don't know (like need for more depth, etc).

Dave

Got some really good info here... and a great place to start. As I said I am a total gardening newbie (unless you count tilling the garden with my dad's tractor as a kid).. I never would have thought to test either water percolation or soil PH.. will do both of those ASAP.

The only thing I do know is that the soil looks nothing like our garden when I was a kid... tho I guess that may not be a good teller about the quality. Back then it was really really dark and soft, not a rock or stone around - and here its more like hard ass grey gravel than dirt.

The idea of using a raised platform is a great one. In fact... what about using movable planters? So they can be brought in (or at least under cover) during heavy rains? Is that a better idea? The number I want to plant is fairly small... a dozen small/medium planters would work fine size-wise, provided theres nothing I don't know (like need for more depth, etc).

Dave

Yes planters a good idea... don't make with wood though, it will be rotted away probably within two years!wink.png

Clay, plastic or cement blocks would be better! thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Study how to make compost for long term use in raised beds ... Compost ,... use food waste - just the veggie stuff - not meat... orange peal, banana peal, etc. mixed with leaves, grasses, etc. Find a place where this can be done in a big pile or in a container... where the rain will not get to it... It must be rotated... If you can find it ... for use as a soil builder after the compost is done its cycle ... add seaweed, purchased fish meal, periodically clean out a fish pond if you have one - use the deposited bottom layer, add carbon from ash in small quantities...

This does not solve your immediate needs but gives you a long term soil creation ability. This is not necessarily best for herbs but works great on certain vegetables especially tomatoes.

• Like 1

A lot of thought went into the design of that farm SJ. Very tastefully done..

Just a question....who needs all that rosemary? 'And the mint, lamb?

Regards

Yes I find it a bit strange too, the guy who owns the place is quite progressive in his thinking and likes to try new things, that would not normally grow here on Samui, (grapes and tomatoes as well) with the idea of this Agri tourism display / show, he's building...

I think as far as the rosemary goes, it's more for display purposes, I can't see that he would sell that much to the hotels and restaurants he sells his lettuce too... (see farm photos!) ...

But I do wonder like you why so much...

The mint he's growing two types, spearmint and peppermint.... he's let them cross pollinate, so know going to end up with "Thai Mint" when the seedlings come up and take over~ ! bah.gif

I drop by there to see what's going on, he's an interesting guy to chat too, when he's not busy ... so will keep progress updates, probably in farm photos! wink.png