Truly unimaginable: 'Beyond imagination' mall to open west of Bangkok

webfact

When are they going to understand the biggest mall in the world is online?

No one builds malls any more.

A brother-in-law has a decent Internet connection, PC, LCD screen, but no airco. Often he goes to an internet shop which has.

I guess for many Thai it is something similar. Almost like going to another world and getting cold wink.png

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

another shopping mall is the last thing we need.

why not a park? wouldn't it be better?

But again, they don't care. They themselves would rather have a mall

Maybe they should build a Park the other side and let the Spirits and Ghosts be free from the 'Big King' building that been empty for so many years after the accident ??

"With every new mall comes a new set of superlative claims: biggest, fanciest, luxurious-est."

I'm sure the unpaid rice farmers are jumping for joywhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif .

unpaid....are you sure....

Unpaid from Yingluck, but paid by the new government!!!!thumbsup.gif

People keep saying all the malls are the same

Same retailers same food shops.

Well look at UK and London. Every high st is full of brand names.

Starbucks and William Hill. To name a few.

It's global and .not just a thai thing.

The high st or mall will only be dictated by the consumer .

People loved woolworths. So much it went into administration and bust.

Only when news broke brits went down to help out. It was too late.

Use it or lose it.

Btw there's another complex opening soon ratchada and Ladproaw junction.

Like that road needs another centre.

Wouldn't it be good if there was an underground line directly to it from the city centre?

Sorry!! What the hell was I thinking!?? beatdeadhorse.gif

Aha... this mall would have been ideal as a safe tourist attraction as well........ Copy you today Cuchulainn...

Sorry!! What the hell was I thinking.... laugh.png

Ohhh... one last thing..giggle.gif They just need to invest half their development cost for FEMALE security at the ladies restrooms as well, then the Mall should do OK....cheesy.gif

Edited by CapeThai

Do they really need another one ? If this carrys on it will turn into the likes of Dubai. Too many shopping malls that are empty.

Malls are good only saturay and sunday what about other days. seems all malls are empty during weekdays and only malls win and the rest of shops come and go

38% of the people who visit malls like to go on weekends. This has been a constant in the business for years. The other 62% is split between the days of the week and nights. Although it may seem slow to you if you take 38 people and put them in a place for 2 days and 62 people and spread them out over 5 days and nights it seems less busy but they still do the majority of shopping. 38 divided by 2 as opposed to 62 divided by 5.

[/quote

I've had too many. You totally lost me.

P.s I'm lucky I got spell check...

When are they going to understand the biggest mall in the world is online?

No one builds malls any more.

So for all of you Thailand retail experts. "The Chirathivat family jumps to Number 1 for the first time buoyed by a 27% growth in their Central Group's revenues to $7 billion in 2013. Central Retail, the country's largest retailer, run by Tos Chirathivat, the grandson of the group's founder, is by far their biggest asset.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/chirathivat-family/

So all together now......What does the richest family in Thailand do for a living? They build and manage malls.....biggrin.png

Now tell the truth don't you all feel a bit silly? Malls are the biggest money maker in Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo

There is a lot of money in Thailand. People have to put their money somewhere. You cannot find a safety deposit box available in any bank because they are full of gold. The Thai Stock Market is manipulated so it is not a safe place for your money. Condos are a popular investment followed by shopping malls. This particular mall is being built to service those to the west of the city who, currently, have to come into the city to enjoy a mall. While the traffic in the area will increase, there will be fewer people clogging transportation to come into the city. Malls are a great, and safe, place to let your kids roam as there are few opportunities for them to get into mischief. Malls serve as neighborhood meeting places. Malls employ a lot of people; first in the construction phase and then, later in the retail sector. No one is going to invest in cleaning up a dump or building a park as there is no return on their investment; these things are for government to do. When I see a mall, I see prosperity. If you are a poor Thai, (your abode has no air-con, small space, few amenities, poorly lit spaces), the mall is a real change of scenery and similar to a vacation from your regular life. It may be difficult for relatively wealthy Westerners to appreciate the value of a mall for many Thais but they all seem to be popular places to hang out. I, personally go to a mall at least once a week and enjoy the wide variety of safe, clean, food choices and sometimes make major purchases like furniture or appliances. Malls/new construction = prosperity/jobs. Thailand, earlier this year, was taken off a list of poorer countries that export to the EU because it is no longer poor enough to qualify for the special tax breaks.

• Like 1

The agricultural sector produces 8.4 percent of the GDP

http://www.thephoenixcapitalgroup.com/thailands-gnp-year-to-year/

I doubt many rice farmers patronize malls in Bangkok.

True, that's why its being build outside Bangkok rolleyes.gif

From the OP, "So while news of new Bangkok shopping mall “Central Westgate” comes as little surprise,"whistling.gif

Let me guess. You're the project manager. Chula grad, lots of facts and figures that mean SFA, daddy is the investor, and you're here to promote it.

Your marketing skills are zero. Believe me, if there was a mall selling what I referred to, people would travel huge distances and spend a lot more money once packed with a good English meal. No.... it's all same same Japanese and Korean shiiite, with the odd BBQ alledged USA rib on offer. Get real.

Then again, if you're not Thai, you must be American, and investing in such. Wait for your rental bills to increase dramatically after a year...... wink.png

Central group Thailand, revenue up 27% last year. They are now the richest family in Thailand. Hard to believe eh? Gee think what they could have done if they had some marketing skills like you; truly unimaginable: beyond imagination.

Edited by thailiketoo

The agricultural sector produces 8.4 percent of the GDP

http://www.thephoenixcapitalgroup.com/thailands-gnp-year-to-year/

I doubt many rice farmers patronize malls in Bangkok.

True, that's why its being build outside Bangkok rolleyes.gif

From the OP, "So while news of new Bangkok shopping mall “Central Westgate” comes as little surprise,"whistling.gif

The topic title says "West of Bangkok" and in the OP it has "just west of Bangkok in Nonthaburi".

Of course narrow minded as I am, I even consider Thonburi as maybe not over the hills, but definitely far, far away wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

alt=saai.gif> Oh goody....another mall opening soon.

Yes, and further good news ---- Emporium is being rebuilt from the inside out AND Emporium2 is nearing completion right opposite on Sukhumvit Road. Yippee.

Moreover, Emporium 3 (Emsphere) will soon start construction on the rubble of Washington Square. Its slogan is equally or more ridiculous:

"The Vibe That Bangkok Has Never Experienced Before". It should be more like "The Vibe That Bangkok Will Never Experience Again" as it becomes an increasingly boring and soul-less conglomeration of mega-malls, condos, and luxury hotels.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

alt=saai.gif> Oh goody....another mall opening soon.

Yes, and further good news ---- Emporium is being rebuilt from the inside out AND Emporium2 is nearing completion right opposite on Sukhumvit Road. Yippee.

Moreover, Emporium 3 (Emsphere) will soon start construction on the rubble of Washington Square. Its slogan is equally or more ridiculous:

"The Vibe That Bangkok Has Never Experienced Before". It should be more like "The Vibe That Bangkok Will Never Experience Again" as it becomes an increasingly boring and soul-less conglomeration of mega-malls, condos, and luxury hotels.

The corner of Sukhumvit soi 7 opposite TVF Lounge has been flattened a while ago. Most likely we'll get a much needed shopping complex annex boutique hotel annex whatever there.

They can build as many malls as they want, Thailand still remains a third wolld country!!

Racist comments and people like you really make me sick to my stomach.

If you have no love for the country and the people, why even bother to visit or look over chat for this country.

Some people are just plain disgusting.

Pointing out that a large portion of Thais are still relatively poor and cannot afford to shop in most of these goddam malls is hardly racist. I personally have more "love" for these Thais than for the boring middle and upper class who will patronize all these overbloated monuments to the consumer society.

• Like 1

But on a serious note I think it would be better for Thailand and Thais as well To maybe have a nice park where there could take there kids to with amusement and ride free for all Thai's Farangs can pay small fee to ride. Could even showcase Thai culture in song and dance. Oh yes and regional foods That would attract tourist . Malls attract thieves and pickpockets.

• Like 1

But on a serious note I think it would be better for Thailand and Thais as well To maybe have a nice park where there could take there kids to with amusement and ride free for all Thai's Farangs can pay small fee to ride. Could even showcase Thai culture in song and dance. Oh yes and regional foods That would attract tourist . Malls attract thieves and pickpockets.

Huh? Thieves and pickpockets? Have you ever been to an upscale Central mall in Thailand? They attract people who are willing to pay top dollar for Swiss chocolates and Gucci, Omega and Prada.

http://www.centralembassy.com/fashion/

A park where people do Thai songs and dances? The company had revenues of 7 billion $US dollars last year? Song and dance?

The corner of Sukhumvit soi 7 opposite TVF Lounge has been flattened a while ago. Most likely we'll get a much needed shopping complex annex boutique hotel annex whatever there.

Contrary to the movie if the people would not come they would not build the malls and have revenue of 7 billion US Dollars last year.

You want to talk about a company who should not expand look to the management of Tesco Lotus as four of its senior executives are asked to step down, take a look at the figures caught up in the company's latest financial fiasco none of the ten board members has direct experience of managing a retailer. You can google, "Tesco's Financial Fiasco."

Thailand's economy for the most part is for profit and if no money is made the business closes. They keep building malls because they are profitable.

• Like 1

On the other hand keeping the people happy, is the goal not to have far less traffic in Bangkok = lots of Malls everywhere so people have no need to drive to BKK = far less traffic in Bangkok.

But at the moment or yesterday outside the building of this new Mall were 30 buses/pickups/mini buses 3 deep blocking the road, that is NOT counting all the Taxi's, wonder if they will build a bus park ?

On the other hand keeping the people happy, is the goal not to have far less traffic in Bangkok = lots of Malls everywhere so people have no need to drive to BKK = far less traffic in Bangkok.

But at the moment or yesterday outside the building of this new Mall were 30 buses/pickups/mini buses 3 deep blocking the road, that is NOT counting all the Taxi's, wonder if they will build a bus park ?

Have you ever driven past a Central that didn't cause a traffic jam?

Do they really need another one ? If this carrys on it will turn into the likes of Dubai. Too many shopping malls that are empty.

Who cares!!It creates work and air con for free.Bangkok is stuffed already,as long as the Mall disease doesn't spread out my way.

Have you ever driven past a Central that didn't cause a traffic jam?

Yes many times. Central Pattaya and Central Embassy and Central Kad Suan Keaw.

Unimaginable is not a load more S&P, Macdonalds, sports shops, gold dealers, and crappy, expensive clothes.

The unimaginable is a mall serving roast beef and Yorkshire puds with OXO gravy, or chicken and PAXO every day. That's the unimaginable. giggle.gifsad.png

The project will create more than 10,000 jobs when it is completed in 2015. It will also drive residential growth in Nonthaburi's Bang Yai district to exceed 150,000 units within five years from 50,000 units worth Bt150 billion currently, based on residential projects launched in this location.

Central Pattana is positioning CentralWestGate as a prototype super regional mall for Asia.

"We believe that this is a new lifestyle mall with more than 1,000 anchor stores and super-sized shops of both Thai and international brands,"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/CentralWestGate-A-super-mall-in-the-making-30199000.html

How many jobs and stores would be attracted by Yorkshire pudding? Eggs, flour and milk ain't much of a culinary masterpiece is it?

Nonthaburi,hub of homesick Poms,but will they be able to afford their homelands culinary delights.