Thailand: International tourist arrivals may decline 15-20 per cent

webfact

Tourist arrivals may decline 15-20 per cent

BANGKOK: -- The number of international arrivals this year is expected to drop by 15-20 per cent, judging from slow bookings for high season as foreigners are avoiding a country still under martial law.

Supawan Tanomkieatipume, vice president for marketing at Thai Hotels Association, said tourists in more than 40 countries were still worried about their security and safety under martial law.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Tourist-arrivals-may-decline-15-20-per-cent-30244539.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-01

• Like 2

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“When tourists check-in to a hotel they will be given a wristband with a serial number that matches their I.D. and shows the contact details of the resort they are staying in so that if they’re out partying late and, for example, get drunk or lost, they can be easily assisted,” Kobkarn told Reuters.

“The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail.”
She added that a “buddy system”, pairing tourists with a local minder at tourist destinations, was also being discussed.

Hmmm, I wonder if it may have something to do with this?

• Like 1

“When tourists check-in to a hotel they will be given a wristband with a serial number that matches their I.D. and shows the contact details of the resort they are staying in so that if they’re out partying late and, for example, get drunk or lost, they can be easily assisted,” Kobkarn told Reuters.

“The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail.”

She added that a “buddy system”, pairing tourists with a local minder at tourist destinations, was also being discussed.

Hmmm, I wonder if it may have something to do with this?

I doubt it very much, because bookings have been down long before this was announced. But I don't suppose it will help. Who wants to go on holiday and be treated like a criminal?

• Like 2

Another ting , What they do about deny people from Africa come and spread the Ebola virus ???

There is no ebola in Thailand. Maybe you're confusing Thailand with USA. It has spread to USA so you'd better keep well away from there. In fact, you'd better stay in your room and not have contact with anyone.

• Like 1

5 or so years ago, I would get room bookings as early as June for my Phuket hotels, for the Christmas break. Customers booked early to ensure that they could get a room.

Over the past few years, peak season advanced bookings have tailed off, although the number of guests staying during the peak season has remained the same - people just leave it to the last minute to book, (I assume either because they think the hotels will not be booked out, or they wait until the last minute in case there is another coup/ghastly murder/ flood/ ebola etc etc in Thailand).

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another ting , What they do about deny people from Africa come and spread the Ebola virus ???

There is no ebola in Thailand. Maybe you're confusing Thailand with USA. It has spread to USA so you'd better keep well away from there. In fact, you'd better stay in your room and not have contact with anyone.

Why deny Africans when southern Thai Muslims travelling to Saudi Arabia for El Haj will surely bring ebola back to the Kingdom here.

Tourists not big on military dictatorships, who`d have thought!?

Interestingly hotel prices are going up rather than down despite demand going down and supply going up. A couple of years back 1000 baht got you a decent 3* hotel in Bangkok whilst 2000 baht got you a 4* or even 5* hotel such as the Rembrandt where we always stay at when in town.

Looking at prices for our next trip the Rembrandt is 5000 baht a night!? Talk about making a bad situation worse! When we were last there is June there was about a dozen other customers.

This is the proof. Lower quantity but higher quality. I expect backpackers to hold their full moon parties elsewhere. Edited by trogers
  • Like 1

A 20% drop just because of martial law? Wait unitl they read about the wristband and tracking, the violent taxi drivers back behind their wheels on the streets of Phuket, and of the immigration raid at Punspace in Chiang Mai...

Edited by scavenger
  • Like 1

Tourists not big on military dictatorships, who`d have thought!?

Interestingly hotel prices are going up rather than down despite demand going down and supply going up. A couple of years back 1000 baht got you a decent 3* hotel in Bangkok whilst 2000 baht got you a 4* or even 5* hotel such as the Rembrandt where we always stay at when in town.

Whenever there's a decline in tourism, Thai landlords put up the rents on commercial properties in the tourist sector, leaving the operators the choice of putting up their prices or go bust, so usually it isn't just hotel prices that escalate.

I've got a visit planned for December. sad.png

• Like 1

No idea about tourism. I live in a silent village, doing my work, lovely neighbours around. Use to spend my tourism-money to Lao, Malaysia, Vietnam aso. Looking for some clues regarding Myanmar. Planning a trip to China. And I feel lots of Farangs around the world think the same...

• Like 2

I'd like to see some more detailed figures of which nationalities are dropping off and which are increasing their numbers to Thailand. I'm guessing westerners will show the sharpest decline whereas Russia, India, middle east and China will show greater numbers travelling to Thailand. Without getting high and mighty about it I believe most Thais do still prefer western visitors in terms of behaviour and manners. When I ask my Thai wife if she likes the Russians "god no, they look terrible", Indians "no, too smelly", Arabs, "no !" and Chinese "omg, no"., westerners "yes, I like them". Sums it up really. Not that we're racist of course......

• Like 2