Royal Decree Sets Oct 15 Election Date

Jai Dee

Sanoh Thienthong believes the October poll will be postponed

Veteran politician Sanoh Thienthong (เสนาะ เทียนทอง) believes the general election will eventually have to be postponed from October 15.

Mr. Sanoh, now leader of the Royal People Party, said he was not certain the Constitution Court would be able to rule on the dissolution case against five parties, including the Thai Rak Thai and Democrat parties, before October 15.

He said the election should better be postponed but insisted his party was now ready to field more than 300 candidates in the poll. He refused to estimate the number of seats his party would win, however.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 August 2006

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Democrat and Mahachon congratulate the inauguration of Royal People Party

Two former opposition parties, namely Democrat and Mahachon, congratulated the inauguration of the Royal People Party.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 August 2006

Mr. Sanoh, now leader of the Royal People Party, said he was not certain the Constitution Court would be able to rule on the dissolution case against five parties, including the Thai Rak Thai and Democrat parties, before October 15.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 August 2006

Am I mistaken or is TNNBPRD mistaken??

I understood the new party's name is: Royal Purple Party, not Royal People Party

Tranliterated version: Pracharaj Party

Edited by sriracha john

"Caretaker Energy Minister Viset Choopiban (วิเศษ จูภิบาล) criticizes the Democrat Party’s plan to cut retail oil prices by 2.50 baht per litre and cut contributions to the Oil Fund as impractical."

The Caretaker minister is right.

Cutting oil prices would require a govenment subsidy, paid for out of the taxes of everybody.

But why should non oil-users pay to subsidise the oil-users?

And why encourage the use of oil, when it is reduction in its use that is in everybody's interest?

What really needs to be done is to increase the taxes on oil. That way there would be an incentive to reduce oil consumption, which is what Thailand needs to help with its imports-payments problem.

World-wide, we are now into the era when the governmental job is to manage decline of trade.

That is harder than it was to manage growth of trade when that was possible (from, say, the Bowring Treaty of 1855 up until 2005).

When managing growth, politicians can wait until the public can see 'the writing on the wall' and then do the right thing. That may mean that they are a bit later than was the earliest possible moment to follow the last lurch up, but no harm done.

When managing decline, it is necessary to be preactive. So politicians have to explain and act ahead of the next lurch down. Because staying too high and then having to catch up with downward lurches is very painful. (Witness 1997, when the Thailand Finance Ministry did just that).

Like them, or lump them, it is TRT that is talking sense on this occasion.

The one government that has shown the world how to be preactive is the Singapore government. Even when growth was possible, it could not overcome its difficulty of having to import all its food, and all its oil, without being 'on the ball' to be first to respond to coming upward lurches. So it became good at telling the populace what was coming, and then acting with the populace's approval. In many ways, Singapore looks most vulnerable to the conditions of declining trade, but they do have that built-up tradition (of explaining ahead of time and acting on time) going for them.

It will be interesting during this Election campaign to see which Thai politicians show that they have thought ahead.

Martin,

I tend to agree with you but with one proviso....the Democrats say that they can achieve a savings of 2.5 baht per litre by reorganizing the oil manufacture and distribution system...at least I think that is what they claim. They aren't claiming to just lower the price..I think. I'm doubtful that they can actually realize that much savings...but this is politics and politicians rarely let reality get in the way of their policy statements....especially in Thailand.

Chownah

They are not subsidising oil. 2.50 might be a lot, but I think they know the numbers better than us. Oil companies are getting obsecenely rich these days - their percentage cut has nearly doubled in real money, plus the government tax income nearly doubled. All of this is being paid by people, not only motorists - they pass their burden further down the chain.

Democrats just want to addres this sudden imbalance.

PM reveals the purpose of his trip to Myanmar

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has disclosed the purpose of his recent trip to Myanmar. He said this visit will cover the discussion on all types of cooperation between both countries, including bilateral and multilateral levels.

A differing opinion:

Premier’s talks with Burmese junta remain cloaked in secrecy

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s unscheduled visit to Myanmar has set tongues wagging and minds searching for what exactly the two leaders discussed aside from the publicized call for the release of Aung San Suu Kyi and talks of Thailand’s hopes to gain access to the lucrative offshore natural gas reserves there.

Thaksin returned late Wednesday from his surprise visit to Myanmar’s new jungle capital seemingly confused about what he had discussed, answering reporters’ queries of what had transpired with a puzzling, “I don’t know. I cannot say.”

And despite Thailand’s Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon’s comments that the Thai delegation called on Myanmar’s military junta to release Suu Kyi, many observers feel the comments were a smokescreen and say the visit has done little to raise confidence of her freedom coming any time soon.

“Talking about Aung San Suu Kyi is an important part of the deal of Thaksin being in Myanmar,” a Bangkok-based western diplomat told ThaiDay yesterday.

“The Burmese military allowed Thaksin to come because he wasn’t there to criticize the military and there is something to be gained from both sides economically.”

Foreign diplomats in the region say the precise purpose of the trip remains unclear, but that Thaksin would have clearly wanted to lobby the generals to provide Thailand with greater access to Myanmar’s offshore gas reserves.

But most observers agree that more was discussed at their meeting in the jungle capital of Naypyidaw than Thaksin and his government are admitting to. Thaksin yesterday denied that any business discussions were held and said that he had called Philippine President Gloria Arroyo, the current chair of ASEAN, before the visit and passed on the grouping’s concerns about Myanmar’s lack of progress toward democratic reform.

“There was nothing discussed relating to the business sector. Just general discussions and me relaying the position and the concerns of ASEAN,” Thaksin said.

But with the recent extension of the United States’ sanctions on Myanmar and years of economic decline in the pariah state, observers say the military junta desperately needs to secure investment from outside.

“Thailand is the window to the outside world for the Burmese military and Thaksin is someone worth a lot of money, someone with a lot of power. He can invest his own money, he can loan money to the Burmese military,” Myanmar analyst Aung Naing Oo told ThaiDay.

“He’s done it before, so I think maybe on the part of the Burmese military they just want to see what Thailand can offer.” The government yesterday announced that Myanmar had asked Thailand to sign a bilateral agreement to purchase timber from Myanmar to increase the junta’s revenue and help stamp out illegal logging.

Aung Naing Oo also said the cloak-and-dagger nature of the visit was only feeding suspicions of secret dealings between Thaksin and Gen Than Shwe.

“When someone is not transparent you find he has some hidden agenda,” he said. “Someone like Thaksin has lost trust from a lot of people, so when he tries to conceal something people will not trust him at all and they will be more suspicious of his actions.”

And questions still remain over why Thaksin brought Thai army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratakalin along with him, with some speculating the prime minister wanted to keep him close fearing a coup in his absence.

There has also been talk that Gen Sonthi was due to visit Myanmar military representatives next Monday, and it is unclear whether he will stick to the scheduled meeting.

“I believe things will come out but it will take time, because Thaksin is under siege, so he doesn’t want to put himself in a negative spotlight,” Aung Naing Oo said.

“One thing for sure, he couldn’t have made the trip unannounced and so suddenly unless he had a clear understanding of what he might gain for domestic consumption, ASEAN, himself or a combination of everything.

“And Thaksin is a very clever person and a clever business person who needs to look for business opportunities for himself as well.”

- ThaiDay

An even stronger differing opinion:

Thaksin's Burma trip a disgrace

PM's visit flies in the face of national interests and undoes ASEAN's progress in pushing the junta for reforms

By visiting Burma on Wednesday, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra did a huge disservice to Thailand. He should be ashamed and publicly condemned for placing his personal interests ahead of those of the Kingdom. He also dragged other senior officials along with him who had no prior knowledge of the visit. For instance, the trip forced Army chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin to postpone his visit to the deep South, where a flare-up of violence the day before required his undivided attention.

The saddest aspect of his visit, however, was that at a time when the international community and ASEAN were finally showing solidarity and jointly urging the Burmese junta to pursue political reforms and release opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, Thaksin suddenly decided he wanted to pay his respects to the ailing General Than Shwe.

Judging from the secrecy and evasive comments afterwards, it was clear the visit had been hurriedly arranged to satisfy the egos of both leaders and their personal agendas.

Certainly Thaksin felt the urge to show he understood the desires of the junta and was ready to accommodate them. Indeed, Thaksin has been trying to reconnect with the new regime ever since the capital was moved to Pyinmana. The disgraced Khin Nyunt used to be Thaksin's point man.

The trip will have far-reaching repercussions. On the international front, Thailand has lost its moral authority, because the manner in which the visit was carried out did more to legitimise the world's most condemned regime rather than shed light on the appalling human-rights situation there.

Just last week, Deputy PM Surakiart Sathirathai, the Thai candidate for UN secretary-general, was telling the world how he would push for Suu Kyi's release and political reforms in that oppressed nation were he elected. If it served no other purpose, Thaksin's visit at least put the final nail in Surakiart's coffin as far as his bid for the UN's top job is concerned.

Calling the visit a success was just as pretentious as when Thailand hosted the "Bangkok Process", an effort to mediate between Burma and the rest of the world.

For Thailand's international standing, Thaksin's visit was the kiss of death, yet the government has the audacity to boast he was the first world leader allowed to visit the reclusive Than Shwe in the new capital.

Thaksin's decision to break ranks with the rest of the civilised world amid a chorus of voices from fellow ASEAN members, the UN, the US and Europe calling for Burma to change its course is beyond anyone's comprehension.

Did he actually think he could broker a deal between Burma and the rest of the world knowing that complete trust between our two countries was still nowhere in sight?

When Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon met with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice recently, Thailand made a commitment that it would not obstruct any effort to put Burma on the agenda. With Thaksin shaking the hands of the junta, that commitment has collapsed.

Even in the waning hours of his caretaker administration, Thaksin wants to flaunt his defiance against one and all. It is in his nature to do that. His trip has also jeopardised ASEAN's common position on Burma that was reached during last month's meeting in Kuala Lumpur.

The decision to make this visit was an important and destructive one for Thailand, because it showed that as long as Thaksin is in power, he will do anything he can to undermine his ASEAN colleagues on Burma for his own interests. He wanted to show he was a trusted friend of Burma, especially at this critical juncture, with the junta more isolated than ever before.

It is hoped that Thailand's new government will dramatically change the Kingdom's policy towards Burma. Without Thaksin's strong personal interests and control over foreign policy, Thailand's direction in foreign affairs can take a more natural course. It is regrettable that nobody can undo what Thaksin has already done.

- The Nation

EDITORIAL

There is a lot of making of unsubstantiated noises to sell newspapers.

My wife, who is as anti Thaksin as anyone on this board, is rethinking her position. She is seeing that anyone that even remotely looks like they may support Thaksin, even in a round about way, is getting very negative press for it. Yesterday she asked me who I thought was trying to take over the country. I'm betting that by the time there is an election she will be back voting TRT and I don't think she is alone in this thinking.

I think that you are right, 'lukamar'.

The TRT has put the noses out of joint amongst some groups that were in a very privileged position that they were abusing by being exploitive. The concept of "Noblesse oblige" does seem to be lacking amongst the high panjandrum bureaucrats here.

It is the nature of hierarchical societies to end up that way after a long period.

It may turn out that Thaksin was only a catalyst (that is, something that makes a reaction happen, but then goes its way leaving the results of the reaction behind it).

This may be the start of people asking themselves "Just what do I want the next government to do?, and which of these parties would do it?".

It is, of course, something that would have been better encouraged, rather than avoided, straight after Parliament was set up in 1932.

Unfortunately, it hasn't come till now, when the problems of having reached the limits of easy growth are also on the agenda.

We live in interesting times.

Concerns raised after Burma agrees to resume timber trade

Burma has agreed in principle to resume timber trading with Thailand, a move that has triggered concerns about the impact on the environment and the abuse of ethnic minorities in Burma. Noppadon Pattama, assistant to Natural Resources and Environment Minister Yongyuth Tiyapairat, confirmed that timber trading was on the agenda during talks on Wednesday between Burmese leaders and a cabinet delegation led by caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Panithi Thangpati, chairman of the Tak Chamber of Commerce, voiced concern that timber trading with Burma might aggravate illegal logging in Thailand. Unscrupulous loggers could cut the trees in Thai forests but brand them as imported, as happened in the past, he said. He recalled the high-profile case of loggers felling trees in the Salween forest which were then ''imported'' to Thailand. The scandal eventually led to the banning of timber imports from Burma. Outgoing Chiang Rai Senator Tuenjai Deethes was worried that the benefits from logging would be at the expense of ethnic minorities in Burma. She said it was possible that the logging contract might lead to violations of the human rights of ethnic people, whom the ruling junta has accused of ''stealing'' Burma's natural resources. She shared the views of other critics that it was not appropriate for a caretaker government to enter into an agreement with a foreign country.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/04Aug2006_news06.php

This may be the start of people asking themselves "Just what do I want the next government to do?, and which of these parties would do it?".

I think you are right on this. Although there is strong rhetoric from the opposition there does not seem to be any type of concrete policy that would give hope that a changed vote would make a difference to the lives of northerners. I just can't see the rural people in your area or the poor in Phayao, where our house is located, taking the risk and voting against the government in the hopes that they will get something better from a different government. Subtle ideological ramblings of changes to democracy or marches in Bangkok are lost on someone working like a dog making a pittance compared to, what they look at as, the well off in Bangkok who may not be making substantially more but probably not working dawn till dusk for it either.

It's going to be interesting no matter what the outcome.

There is a lot of making of unsubstantiated noises to sell newspapers.

My wife, who is as anti Thaksin as anyone on this board, is rethinking her position. She is seeing that anyone that even remotely looks like they may support Thaksin, even in a round about way, is getting very negative press for it. Yesterday she asked me who I thought was trying to take over the country. I'm betting that by the time there is an election she will be back voting TRT and I don't think she is alone in this thinking.

A few point and questions here, more or less in chronological order.

First is a question; The Thais in Isaan see things in a much simpler light, and the car accident that thaksin was in on the way to a suddenly arraigned meeting. Followed by few if any solid answers upon his return. Does this spell a bad omen of sorts to them? If so will the PAD use that view?

Lukamar; what your wife is seeing is exactly I what I hinted at before. That is simply guilt by association. Look at the EC ex-commissioners, they have simply become lepers. Thaksin has more or less become the same. The people who have abandoned him and the TRT have seen problems ahead and are looking out for themselves. Anyone seen associating with Thaksin is now viewed as seeking some personal gain and not seeking gain for the country. This can be defined as a gut feeling or sixth sense. Essentially both gut feelings and sixth sense are a subconscious response to a situation. (The inability to find the reason for the feeling and relying on patterns of past actions.) Of late Thaksin’s actions have all been self serving and there is little or no reason to believe what he says it is for the good of the country.

The USA will not make any agreements with caretaker governments because any agreements could successfully be challenged by opponents of said agreements from either country. So the trip could only have been self serving. Even logic dictates that in such a short summit, agreements would have to personally benefit the people talking because the agreements must be ratified by the designated government body. However if two dictators are having such a summit, the contents of this paragraph do not apply.

The other possibility that I am not sure of is Thaksin may have gutted Thai laws enough that he can act on his own in such a capacity. Essentially if that is the case then he has all the powers of a dictator.

It's amazing that after all this time and all that has happened, Police Lt. Col. Dr. T still acts like he is the owner of a company, not the PM of a democratic country. Does a CEO have to explain to lowly staff why he went on a business trip and what was discussed? His responses to questions show he was totally unprepared for any flak. He had no idea.

But I agree it looks like no one will be able to push TRT out in an election. Pracharaj Party??? Sanoh? Partnered with Prachai - the former head of TPI???????? He's the financier! Can you imagine him having political control??? It goes from bad to worse.

Exactly my point, he is PM by name only. I read yesterday or the day before he plans a trip to Isaan to hear complaints. If he should go anyplace it is the south.

It sounds again like he has set up counter measures to the hostile takeover of Thailand Inc. Ltd. :o

PM Thaksin insists his trip to the north & northeast next week is not to pull votes

The prime minister has insisted that his trip to the north and northeastern regions next week are not for pre-emptive vote rallying.

Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin, as head of the Thai Rak Thai party, said next week's travel into these regions had the purposes of following up on the progression of implementation of the policies that have been laid down, and to see which spots in the policies have to be worked on. He said he has not visited people in the provinces for many months.

When asked whether this trip is for drawing back support from the Thai Rak Thai Party's "votes base", Mr. Thaksin said he will be working in his capacity as prime minister during this trip, and will be telling state officials to display their neutrality regarding election affairs.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 August 2006

PM Thaksin insists his trip to the north & northeast next week is not to pull votes

The prime minister has insisted that his trip to the north and northeastern regions next week are not for pre-emptive vote rallying.

Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin, as head of the Thai Rak Thai party, said next week's travel into these regions had the purposes of following up on the progression of implementation of the policies that have been laid down, and to see which spots in the policies have to be worked on. He said he has not visited people in the provinces for many months.

When asked whether this trip is for drawing back support from the Thai Rak Thai Party's "votes base", Mr. Thaksin said he will be working in his capacity as prime minister during this trip, and will be telling state officials to display their neutrality regarding election affairs.

And the war in Lebanon will be over by Monday! :o

Thai Rak Thai leader says it is not yet time to announce his party's vote-rallying policies

The Thai Rak Thai party leader has indicated that it is not yet time to declare his party's vote-rallying policies because there is no Election Commission present.

Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra said there is still time before announcing Thai Rak Thai party's policies for the purpose of drawing votes, as there is no Election Commission at the moment and thus the party would have to wait in order to comply with the Constitution's requirements. He said there should be no problem if everyone understand the rules and abide by them. Regarding the fact where several parties have already announced their policies, Mr. Thaksin said the Thai Rak Thai party was launched since 1999 and he does not feel burdened by the presence of newly-launched political parties. He said politics is about offering one's self, and one would enter work if people put their trust in him/her.

When asked for his comment on some parties now joining hands, the Thai Rak Thai leader said this is normal for elections and is considered a beauty of democracy.

Thai Rak Thai leader says it is not yet time to announce his party's vote-rallying policies

The Thai Rak Thai party leader has indicated that it is not yet time to declare his party's vote-rallying policies because there is no Election Commission present.

Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra said there is still time before announcing Thai Rak Thai party's policies for the purpose of drawing votes, as there is no Election Commission at the moment and thus the party would have to wait in order to comply with the Constitution's requirements. He said there should be no problem if everyone understand the rules and abide by them. Regarding the fact where several parties have already announced their policies, Mr. Thaksin said the Thai Rak Thai party was launched since 1999 and he does not feel burdened by the presence of newly-launched political parties. He said politics is about offering one's self, and one would enter work if people put their trust in him/her.

When asked for his comment on some parties now joining hands, the Thai Rak Thai leader said this is normal for elections and is considered a beauty of democracy.

THE REAL BEAUTY OF DEMOCRACY MISTER THAKSIN !!!

I read yesterday or the day before he plans a trip to Isaan to hear complaints. If he should go anyplace it is the south.

His vote base is in the North & Northeast so it only makes sense to go where you will do the most good. Hearing complaints and concerns from Issan will garner him much information to use in the election as well as votes. He could go stumping it in the South for a year and never see an extra vote from it.

First is a question; The Thais in Isaan see things in a much simpler light,

Lukamar; what your wife is seeing is exactly I what I hinted at before. That is simply guilt by association.

John you are trying to think too much and put Western views into a Thai syntax it does not work.

I don't think the people in Issan see things in a simpler light, but I've never lived there. Northerners defiantly see things in a "different light" than people in other parts of Thailand.

Come on John, guilt by association my ass, that's a crock. What she is seeing, without my help, is a concerted effort by the media to influence the thinking of people and to quell any comment that may even remotely look like it's pro government. They work very hard to make the government and TS look bad at every opportunity. Tonight she was reading on the computer and kept saying "Manager Online is not good anymore". I ask her why and she replied now they are trying to ruin the reputations of any performers that just make simple statements like "everyone should get along in politics" making them look like they are pro TRT. As you know she's no uneducated northern farm-girl and is bright enough to think outside the box.

Actually it was a professional opinion on guilt by association. To use a different scenario, do you feel a bit uncomfortable when you are around people who look like they are from a part of the world that frequently strap explosives around their body and find crowds to explode in? It has become a bit of a natural reaction to think twice. This is purely subconscious and has no bearing on east west cultures.

In another scenario during bitter divorces in the west, it is not unheard of that one side accuse the other of child molestation. Although the accusation may have no truth the prejudgment is hard to shake.

If you were seen going into a place with questionable character by the local community standards even if it was for the most honorable reasons, what do you think others in the community would think. If they asked you would they be likely to believe your story or should you even be required to provide them with an explanation for that matter.

Remember Thaksin’s trip according to him is not about votes or the election, it is about following up on the progression of implementation of the policies that have been laid down. So essentially you somehow you came to the conclusion on a subconscious level it is for personal political gain. By doing that you just proved my point. (Please don’t take that in a negative way or sarcastically, it is difficult to relay this in text.) My comment was there are more problems in the south and he should be going there if he is truly looking to see how policies are working.

Anyone seeing Thaksin is subject to guilt by association as Thaksin is seen to have questionable character by the local community standards. The exact same as you would have by wandering into that questionable place.

Thaksin is unable to provide answers, this people assume the negative and there suspicions are proving to be true. If what you suggest is Thaksin using the negatives about him as a positive, it would really take some doing even for a person in my profession. That is not to say it is impossible, but it is a very significant task to sway huge masses with so many negatives and few if any positive truths.

I don’t think the press is seeking out the negatives about Thaksin. He is simply providing them daily on his own because he lacks transparency required to dispel the negatives.

I've said the before opposition parties should have organized long ago upcountry, if they, being the opposition parties, had of done that there may not be as bad of a the problem in the country and the people upcountry may have had a choice. They did not organize or try to get the rural vote on their side, that's a big problem for them they are not seen as pro rural, especially now.
Demonstrations And Rallies Leading Up To The Election

lukamar Posted on: 2006-03-31 10:00:38

QUOTE(Plus @ 2006-03-31 09:30:00)

Lukamar, in a space of a few hours you said that Democrats should go and capmaign hard in the North, and that it's foolish of them to do so.

Do you actually have an opinion or just oppose to anything other posters say without thinking? Which one of your two statements deserve a response? None, me thinks, you are just wasting time.

Please explain yourself.

I have always said the opposition parties should have started campaigning in the upcountry areas the day after the last election. I'm sorry you have a poor memory.

I read yesterday or the day before he plans a trip to Isaan to hear complaints. If he should go anyplace it is the south.

His vote base is in the North & Northeast so it only makes sense to go where you will do the most good. Hearing complaints and concerns from Issan will garner him much information to use in the election as well as votes. He could go stumping it in the South for a year and never see an extra vote from it.

From dictionary.com

contradictories

n. con·tra·dic·to·ries

Either of two propositions related in such a way that it is impossible for both to be true or both to be false.

-------------------------------

1. You chastise the Democrats for not campaigning in the North (stronghold of the TRT)

2. You praise the TRT for not campaigning in the South (stronghold of the Democrat)

To use your own words:

"I'm sorry if you have a poor memory."

Actually its reaffirming to see that TRT apologists/supporters are pretty much the same as TRT Party itself, as well as Thaksin himself, in that they are FULL of contradictories.

I feel it's good for all the newcomers in these political discussions to be informed of wavering stances from months ago. It does wonders for evaluating credibility.

:o

But then again, I suppose it's to be expected when some people are so far removed from the realities and practicalities of the current issues facing everyday life in Thailand that their resulting views are rather inaccurate. It's certainly understandable that the nuances of life here are missed when not here on a day in and day out basis.

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin will just barely win the elections which will be rigged and are just for show so why bother talk about it.

Anyone with any bit of attention can see the likely pattern.

WHo cares anyway, it's a waste of our time to waste thinking on the likes of him and the terrible things he does.

I've said the before opposition parties should have organized long ago upcountry, if they, being the opposition parties, had of done that there may not be as bad of a the problem in the country and the people upcountry may have had a choice. They did not organize or try to get the rural vote on their side, that's a big problem for them they are not seen as pro rural, especially now.

Demonstrations And Rallies Leading Up To The Election

lukamar Posted on: 2006-03-31 10:00:38

QUOTE(Plus @ 2006-03-31 09:30:00)

Lukamar, in a space of a few hours you said that Democrats should go and capmaign hard in the North, and that it's foolish of them to do so.

Do you actually have an opinion or just oppose to anything other posters say without thinking? Which one of your two statements deserve a response? None, me thinks, you are just wasting time.

Please explain yourself.

I have always said the opposition parties should have started campaigning in the upcountry areas the day after the last election. I'm sorry you have a poor memory.

From dictionary.com

contradictories

n. con·tra·dic·to·ries

Either of two propositions related in such a way that it is impossible for both to be true or both to be false.

-------------------------------

1. You chastise the Democrats for not campaigning in the North (stronghold of the TRT)

2. You praise the TRT for not campaigning in the South (stronghold of the Democrat)

To use your own words:

"I'm sorry if you have a poor memory."

Actually its reaffirming to see that TRT apologists/supporters are pretty much the same as TRT Party itself, as well as Thaksin himself, in that they are FULL of contradictories.

I see no contradiction between the two statements:

These are both quite consistent with the idea of winning an election. If the Democrats can't gain a foothold in the north (or northeast) then they will not win the election.....TRT is smart for not wasting campaign time in the South because the Democrats have it solidly locked up and there is not need for TRT to gain votes there becasue if they can maintain their strength in the North and Northeast then they will win the election......there is absolutely no contradiction here....it is just good political sense....its Lukamar asserting his strategy for both of the parties...sort of a non partisan view.....a concept that you do not seem to be able to grasp...non-partisan.

I feel it's good for all the newcomers in these political discussions to be informed of wavering stances from months ago. It does wonders for evaluating credibility.

:o

But then again, I suppose it's to be expected when some people are so far removed from the realities and practicalities of the current issues facing everyday life in Thailand that their resulting views are rather inaccurate. It's certainly understandable that the nuances of life here are missed when not here on a day in and day out basis.

Yes, just keep talking and I'm sure it will help them to figure it out.

.....a concept that you do not seem to be able to grasp...non-partisan.

most likely traceable to having already lived once under a SE Asian despot (Marcos) and thus a strong desire to not see the same thing happen to the good citizens of Thailand.

as for any specific partisanship... I'm open to any and all... so long as it doesn't involve the current despot Thaksin.

As the acting PM he should go where there are problems, ie the South where teachers, rubber planters, ordinary people are dying every day. He is supposed to be the PM of Thailand, not only the constituencies that vote TRT.

But he hasn't a clue regarding the South.

The Issan trip is plain vote buying; regarding Burma, Lukumar and Chowna, do you remember Thaksin's statement a year ago when he said he 'quite understands why the junta keep Aung San Su Kyi under house arrest'.

Aphisit challenged him to debate on TV.

Do you think the weasel dares?

By the way, if he doesn't take the Premiership next time, assuming TRT win, there's only one man he trusts in my opinion, the loyal policeman, Chidchai.