Links revealed between police and migrants on Koh Tao

webfact

The solution is simple : Either deport them all immediately and put an end to this rampant corruption or register them legally and remove the corruption from the equation.

The solution may be simple, but executing it impossible. When polled, Thais actually favor corruption if it leads to their own personal gain. Corruption is ingrained into the culture from the highest political figure to the lowliest street cart worker. The people who talk about ending corruption in Thailand are pipe-dreaming. You'd first have to convince your average Thai that corruption is bad, and that is a much tougher task.

This goes hand in hand with fibbing. Somehow it has got to a point that white lies or big whoppers are OK if it is positive at the end for u.

The moral compass in Thailand has hot seriously out of whack.

• Like 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand will forever be encased in corruption as long as the RTP are allowed to carry on in this way. Prayuth just has to start with the RTP if he is genuine.The corrupt RTP are the crux of all Thai corruption. Even the village idiot can understand this.

I don't know why anyone thinks that the army is some sort of bastion of purity.

A piece of litter recovered near the scene contains DNA from one suspect, a source... [/size]

arrests coming, with DNA and CCTV evidence,

doesnt matter whose son it is, he is getting the death penalty

I hope you're right about 'arrests coming.' Is that you speaking, or are you relaying an official statement?

i not have a problem with burmese coming here to feed their families but have a big problem with police taking money from them to do so.

wrong on so many levels.

Consider it an alternative to direct taxation on wages and vehicles and property and purchases and....
These people don't earn enough to pay tax.

My point is that if it were not for this type of payment system then a formal taxation system would need to exist. I am not saying that a tax system would be a bad thing but its essentially the same thing.

Public servants do not make a living wage so they take bribes , a large portion of those bribes are then paid up the ladder until it reaches the highest levels of govt. Its like a bottom-up system versus a trickle-down system we are used to where sufficient salaries are paid to public servants through taxes paid by workers (and others).

I am not saying I support this Thai system or that it is the most efficient--I am only pointing out that nothing is for free. Including coming to Thailand to earn wages to send home and not benefit the local economy.

Sounds like "Gangs of New York". illegal taxation of illegal immigrants is never justified in any country that has "rule of law". Thailand does not have "rule of law".

All the public servants I know have university degrees here and do make a living wage (B19,000 per month or up), as do their superiors. We have farmers in our family who wonder why they cannot afford a new Toyota truck.

I am guessing the average farmer would need 7 years of gross pay or more to buy one, while the average Thai would need 2 1/2 years and a school teacher or local government worked with degree would need 3 1/2 years. The average American would need about 5 months gross to pay for one.

What is a living wage? something above poverty I assume which is about $11,000 per year in the USA for one or double that for a family of four, where poverty is now way higher than in Thailand.

It sounds like they're running their own little country on this island and maybe they've been getting away with it for decades. Taoland ?

I wonder how many other islands this kind of thing is happening on ?

Do you have to ask, how about all of them.

Here we go again visitors trying to tell Thailand how to do things. Right or wrong it has been there system for a long time and it seems to work for them. You want to pay higher taxes to pay cops higher salaries go back home and complain all you want.

It doesn't work for anyone but the wealthy and criminal. Thailand is supposed to be a developing nation it's not going anywhere under the current system, it's all downhill from here.

The solution is simple : Either deport them all immediately and put an end to this rampant corruption or register them legally and remove the corruption from the equation.

Aren't you forgetting something?

The police should be prosecuted for extortion and abuse of power.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

There are no employers among posters, am I right? You have no clue how to make your employees happy... If you think you can solve the problem by paying them more than you are idealists smile.png

I used to be an employee and I was generally happier when I got a raise. For a while anyway....

There are no employers among posters, am I right? You have no clue how to make your employees happy... If you think you can solve the problem by paying them more than you are idealists smile.png

I used to be an employee and I was generally happier when I got a raise. For a while anyway....

Did you ever ask yourself why foreign companies pay little salary in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam? Let me guess, you think they are stingy, am I right? If you are not employer then simply try find ANY employee (for implicity freelancer) who can do the job for 10x higher salery than the min allowed in his/her country... Believe me you will not find any ^^ Try to guess why ;) (hint Maslow's pyramid)

Edited by GertrudeL

Exactly, and also why people who think The General will be the big "savior" of corruption in Thailand are wrong. Nothing has really changed or will change, because the corruption-level is to deep and widespread here. It will take many generations overcome this.

It does not have to take many generations....look at what happened in Singapore..
Where the great leader goes wrong here.. is that he starts cleaning from the bottom, eg beach vendors, taxi drivers etc..
Where he should start from the top, eg the entire police force and his own so precious army leaders.
Problem is, nobody with money in Thailand goes to jail... jail is for the poor.

Nobody with money goes to jail anywhere, or never do serious time. In the 1980's a well known Aussie business man stole 1 billion AUD from the banks and his share holders, he spent less than 3 years inside a minimum security prison farm. This is the world we live in.