English Brekkie Update October 2014

freedomnow

OK, I'm always on the lookout for a great English brekkie. Any brekkie buffets cropped up in the last year ?

Here are ones that crop up but are there any other undiscovered jewels.

Bamboo Bar -cheapest

Archers - great tasting

Mad Dog - big, but too greasy

Phillip guy's restaurant just outside the moat near Chang Moi Road -better sausages than Sausage king (?)

As long as they have real sausages, you're input welcome to add to my heart attack hit list.

I discovered that TOPS get in real English pork sausages. Not so cheap, but 6 in a pkt, and I limit myself to two per week. Bake them in the oven and have these with mashed spuds and veggies. They also go well in my attempts to make toad in 't hole.

The 1900baht oven ex MAKRO was a good thing to buy! Their bacon is rather nice too, and the cheapest wine and cheese in the city.

Rimping also get in Fray & Bentos tinned pies; steak and kidney, plus a couple of others. Not brekkie food I admit, but rather nice for dinner.

The Chiang Mai expat brekkies twice a month by the river are also excellent . The sausages are not recommended IMHO.

I discovered that TOPS get in real English pork sausages. Not so cheap, but 6 in a pkt, and I limit myself to two per week. Bake them in the oven and have these with mashed spuds and veggies. They also go well in my attempts to make toad in 't hole.

The 1900baht oven ex MAKRO was a good thing to buy! Their bacon is rather nice too, and the cheapest wine and cheese in the city.

Rimping also get in Fray & Bentos tinned pies; steak and kidney, plus a couple of others. Not brekkie food I admit, but rather nice for dinner.

The Chiang Mai expat brekkies twice a month by the river are also excellent . The sausages are not recommended IMHO.

Can we come around to your place? biggrin.png

• Like 2

I like the sausages but I do believe they could do with a little more fat. Kind of on the dry side.

re

luvvly with the Mash they also sometimes have.

if you want a perfect portion of mash try some from the garden opposite inter inn

its yummy with their fish !

dave2

ps ... re

Breakfast World inside the old city? Visitors I have taken there seem to enjoy it...

so where is it ?

post-42592-0-19289100-1412250348_thumb.j

post-42592-0-76176600-1412250377_thumb.j

re

if you want a perfect portion of mash try some from the garden opposite inter inn

dave2

ps ... re

Breakfast World inside the old city? Visitors I have taken there seem to enjoy it...

so where is it ?

remember Google is your friend Dave - try Chiangmaibreakfastworld for map etc

I wonder if there is anyone else who has no idea where any of these places are? I do know Mad Dog of course but that's about it. Which Bamboo Bar are we talking about here? Somewhere way out, like Sausage King, right? And the rest is downtown near-ish to Moon Muang Rd?

Also what's wrong with the Irish Pub for breakfast? Also Gecko should probably be included.. I went there only once and have no plans to visit again soon but it does look like the kind of place that many people here would be attracted to.

And interesting to see Breakfast World.. how long has that been open? Looks very interesting on thier site, though more German than English. (could be a goods thing. ;) ) http://www.chiangmaibreakfastworld.com/

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I wonder if there is anyone else who has no idea where any of these places are? I do know Mad Dog of course but that's about it. Which Bamboo Bar are we talking about here? Somewhere way out, like Sausage King, right? And the rest is downtown near-ish to Moon Muang Rd?

Also what's wrong with the Irish Pub for breakfast? Also Gecko should probably be included.. I went there only once and have no plans to visit again soon but it does look like the kind of place that many people here would be attracted to.

And interesting to see Breakfast World.. how long has that been open? Looks very interesting on thier site, though more German than English. (could be a goods thing. wink.png ) http://www.chiangmaibreakfastworld.com/

This. ^^^

In my experience, if you don't drive, a reasonably priced good "English breakfast" is difficult to find here and I suppose that's not surprising. The Amazing Sandwich on Huay Kaew Road across from KSK has a number of Western style breakfasts (all at 129 thb) but I wouldn't go out of my way to have one.

I've tried Mad Dog's once and won't be going back. I was the only customer in the place at 09:30 and the lone waitperson couldn't have been less interested in taking my order; the food was average at best. Lots of it but not particularly good (toasting bread seems to be a challenge in many restaurants here and I'm not a fan of eggs congealing in oil).

Haven't tried the UN Irish Pub for breakfast....maybe have to give that a go sometime.

I will say that the earlier comment about the breakfast for the biweekly Expats Club gathering at River Market restaurant is spot on...it's quite good, though it's more of an American breakfast than an English breakfast.

Happy hunting.

The ones i make every Saturday or Sunday morning are good,

Sausage,Bacon,Black Pudding,Baked Beans,fried Tomato,egg,

slice fried bread,bread &butter,big pot of Yorkshire tea.think i

got everything, its not difficult,and the smell of the cooking gets

your juices flowing.Wife likes it too,but she will just about eat anything.

regards worgeordie

P.S.I find AYAM baked beans from Malaysia,to be the best available

here,sometimes i chop some onion up small fry,add the beans and

some BBQ sauce,you always have a quick snack with a tin of beans.

Yes Cross & Blackwell are most likely the best.

• Like 1

re

dave2

ps ... re

so where is it ?

Seems a bit of a slap in the face to someone who just provided a picture and a map.

Edited by ChiangMaiMark

re

dave2

ps ... re

so where is it ?

Seems a bit of a slap in the face to someone who just provided a picture and a map.

I am really sorry you read it like that; it certainly wasnt intended. Just the easiest way to help- and from past posts I know that Dave has not had a sense of humour bypass, so I hope he did not take umbrage too. If you did, Dave, many apologies.

• Like 2

The ones i make every Saturday or Sunday morning are good,

Sausage,Bacon,Black Pudding,Baked Beans,fried Tomato,egg,

slice fried bread,bread &butter,big pot of Yorkshire tea.think i

got everything, its not difficult,and the smell of the cooking gets

your juices flowing.Wife likes it too,but she will just about eat anything.

regards worgeordie

You're probably never going to get them here, but breakfast mushrooms the size of a saucer are all that's missing.

• Like 2

re

dave2

ps ... re

so where is it ?

I am really sorry you read it like that; it certainly wasnt intended. Just the easiest way to help- and from past posts I know that Dave has not had a sense of humour bypass, so I hope he did not take umbrage too. If you did, Dave, many apologies.

My comment may have been completely uncalled for. For all I know, you and Dave may be friends, so my apologies. I guess I see so many unhelpful comments on this forum (like mine) and ended up taking it out on you. I’ll just crawl back into my lovely bottle of red. Before I do....

I'd also recommend the UN Irish. Not many places fry eggs just the way I like them.

post-207682-0-09391100-1412274469_thumb.

• Like 1

I've tried Mad Dog's once and won't be going back. I was the only customer in the place at 09:30 and the lone waitperson couldn't have been less interested in taking my order; the food was average at best. Lots of it but not particularly good (toasting bread seems to be a challenge in many restaurants here and I'm not a fan of eggs congealing in oil).

Absolutely spot on, there is one staff member there so unfriendly that I never went back to contribute to her salary.

Also Gecko should probably be included.. I went there only once and have no plans to visit again soon but it does look like the kind of place that many people here would be attracted to.

That does not sound like a compliment to either Gecko Garden or us. tongue.png

I guess I got that one spot on then. thumbsup.gif

I probably will visit again though at some point. It's just that most outside breakfast trips tend to involve the wife and kids, which implies a preference for places that will not have last night's Farang barflies still there sobering up. wink.png

So more often than not I end up at more Thai leaning places, for example the restaurant at the corner of Phrapokklao Rd and Ratchamankha. (Cafe De Thaan Aoan: http://www.cafedethaanaoan.com/ ) , or "Mamia" on the river, or 'Diff' opposite the Gymkhana club. The Belgian waffles at Diff are especially good. It helps that the owner is Belgian I suppose. I'm going to try and get him to serve them with bacon, American style. That should be fun. ;) Or the Bread Brasserie off Nimmanhaemin.. which is not British but the smoked salmon & cream cheese bagel at 80-90 baht or so is worth enduring the Nimman-hell and I don't say that lightly.

It also helps that all of the above have air conditioning (Except maybe Mamia; they have an aircon room but their riverside seating is much nicer.)

And sometimes it just depends on where there's a parking spot. For example the Irish Pub, or Blue Diamond in MM Soi 9. Both are places with an iffy parking situation, but IF I can park nearby then that seals the deal for breakfast. If not then we move on.

Great parking also at Butter is Better. I'd go there a lot more if they found a way to get rid of the stuffy smell inside. (It's been like that even when it was still Bake & Bite. It's probably difficult.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I just can't deal with any canned beans anymore.. Royal Project sells dried small white (Navy) beans.. which means soaking overnight, cooking until not quite done, and then putting it in the oven for another hour or two with a tomato-chili sauce with extra cane/palm sugar and BBQ sauce (Or ketchup-dark vinegar-sugar-chipotle which is the same thing.) And then bake uncovered for a little while longer with some bacon and/or sausage on top.

That comes out significantly nicer than Ayam beans. ;)

• Like 1

I prefer Peppermint Cafe to Archers, just around the corner, but both are good. Peppermint's sausages are good enough to have alone in a sandwich for me sometimes. For a cheap bacon fix I go to Boat. I just discovered Rimping has a breakfast menu the other day and their eggs benedict with bacon was very nice and good value (their set breakfast is awful).

Tops also has Sausage King products if you can't get out there. I'm English but lived in Aus for 20 years, and during that time I learned how to make my own sausages, because I just couldn't find any that we liked. A lot of Pom's I talked to said exactly the same thing. Sausages and bacon and chocolate just not right. I tried literally dozens of butchers and supermarkets, but none of them tasted just right, so maybe Aussies won't be so keen on Sausage King as the English.

I still make my own occasionally, we don't have them often, but Sausage King's pork and leek snags are really, really nice for toad in the hole.