English Brekkie Update October 2014

freedomnow

P.S.I find AYAM baked beans from Malaysia,to be the best available

here,sometimes i chop some onion up small fry,add the beans and

some BBQ sauce,you always have a quick snack with a tin of beans.

Yes Cross & Blackwell are most likely the best.

I just can't deal with any canned beans anymore.. Royal Project sells dried small white (Navy) beans.. which means soaking overnight, cooking until not quite done, and then putting it in the oven for another hour or two with a tomato-chili sauce with extra cane/palm sugar and BBQ sauce (Or ketchup-dark vinegar-sugar-chipotle which is the same thing.) And then bake uncovered for a little while longer with some bacon and/or sausage on top.

That comes out significantly nicer than Ayam beans. wink.png

I agree with both of you - Ayam beans are probably the best you can get here unless you pay the silly price and get Heinz, but I think that they might be imported from America not England, and someone somewhere once told me that they weren't exactly the same recipe.

I also make my own sometimes using haricot beans (AKA navy beans in America), and they are great too, but sometimes we just want the taste of the tinned ones. During the week I did grilled chicken breast with a tin of Ayam beans and some home made bread buns to soak up the juice. Perfect, easy meal (OK, I'd baked the bread buns the day before), on the table in 15 minutes or so with minimal effort, and, as long as there is lots of brown (HP) sauce on the beans, very tasty too.

• Like 2

I believe MCD offers a nice toasted English muffin stuffed with delicious sausage, a fried egg and cheddar cheese. What could be better? And terrific value too.

It's times like this when we need an UNLIKE button tongue.png

• Like 1

I just can't deal with any canned beans anymore.. Royal Project sells dried small white (Navy) beans.. which means soaking overnight, cooking until not quite done, and then putting it in the oven for another hour or two with a tomato-chili sauce with extra cane/palm sugar and BBQ sauce (Or ketchup-dark vinegar-sugar-chipotle which is the same thing.) And then bake uncovered for a little while longer with some bacon and/or sausage on top.

I agree with both of you - Ayam beans are probably the best you can get here unless you pay the silly price and get Heinz, but I think that they might be imported from America not England, and someone somewhere once told me that they weren't exactly the same recipe.

I also make my own sometimes using haricot beans (AKA navy beans in America), and they are great too, but sometimes we just want the taste of the tinned ones. During the week I did grilled chicken breast with a tin of Ayam beans and some home made bread buns to soak up the juice. Perfect, easy meal (OK, I'd baked the bread buns the day before), on the table in 15 minutes or so with minimal effort, and, as long as there is lots of brown (HP) sauce on the beans, very tasty too.

You're correct about the baked beans. Ayam brand is Malaysian, and they make some great food, but Thais don't like their products apart from the baked beans and tinned fish.

Heinz b. beans from the USA has a different label than the UK product. I haven't seen the UK ones here.

Whenever I'm in KL or Oz, I buy Ayam brand rendang curry mix. That is the basis for a delightful rendang, not at all spicy.

• Like 1

"Brook" baked beans for me, very close to English Heinz smile.png

• Like 1

I believe MCD offers a nice toasted English muffin stuffed with delicious sausage, a fried egg and cheddar cheese. What could be better? And terrific value too.

Probably the best thing they do by a long way, hash brown and coffee not bad at all.

The ones i make every Saturday or Sunday morning are good,

Sausage,Bacon,Black Pudding,Baked Beans,fried Tomato,egg,

slice fried bread,bread &butter,big pot of Yorkshire tea.think i

got everything, its not difficult,and the smell of the cooking gets

your juices flowing.Wife likes it too,but she will just about eat anything.

regards worgeordie

You're probably never going to get them here, but breakfast mushrooms the size of a saucer are all that's missing.

Makro ,and for us best sausage from Girard Gourmet,real meat.

I prefer Peppermint Cafe to Archers, just around the corner, but both are good. Peppermint's sausages are good enough to have alone in a sandwich for me sometimes. For a cheap bacon fix I go to Boat. I just discovered Rimping has a breakfast menu the other day and their eggs benedict with bacon was very nice and good value (their set breakfast is awful).

Nice ! Will give it a try as I like Archer's then you're saying Peppermint have better sausages....perfect !

Boat for Bacon fix....in old city ?

Edited by freedomnow

I love an English brekky so decided to give the Gecko one a try as i live close by.

The basic @ 99 baht does represent value i guess, but the sausages were small and no drink came with. 30B for an OJ which took it to 129B.

For the same price - 129B - you can get a Canadian brekky (pretty close to an English) from the Wild Boar? on Loi Kroh, which is way better than the Gecko brekky imo.

Also Gecko should probably be included.. I went there only once and have no plans to visit again soon but it does look like the kind of place that many people here would be attracted to.

That does not sound like a compliment to either Gecko Garden or us. tongue.png

There was me thinking you had opened a breakfast reading club. I was worried how your 'returns' policy and purchasing 'used' products was going to work. I thought your customers were now eating bacon rather than reading him! Now I know better.

UN irish pub is very good.

What makes archers so good, and any easy directions, ie near this or that building? [i'm averse to google at the moment]

Not typically an 'english' breakfast, but nevertheless my main one i cook at home:

scrambled eggs with toast (bread from kasem's)

salmon

asparagus

shitake mushrooms

spinach

cherry tomatoes

followed by toast and honey

all washed down with oolong or green tea.

clearly a slightly healthier option, hope it doesn't offend!

What makes archers so good

Archers is considerably less expensive with very good quality ingredients, although I have a feeling that the prices might have gone up. Last time I had an English breakfast there, I noticed a chalkboard sign out front advertising a more expensive breakfast, but, when I paid, they charged me the usual price.

Gecko Garden is OK for breakfast, but industrial "hash browns" (like at McDonald's). IMO, their breakfast is nothing special, but sometimes I like eating there later in the day.

What makes archers so good, and any easy directions, ie near this or that building? [i'm averse to google at the moment]

Not typically an 'english' breakfast, but nevertheless my main one i cook at home:

salmon

asparagus

shitake mushrooms

spinach

cherry tomatoes

Sounds great. What time are you serving tomorrow morning? I'll be there. Edited by Bill97

salmon

asparagus

shitake mushrooms

spinach

cherry tomatoes

I will take the scrambled eggs and toast, you can keep the rest. Not enough greasy fat in the selection! (-:

I will take the scrambled eggs and toast, you can keep the rest. Not enough greasy fat in the selection! (-:

Not just any old fat either. It has to be either lard or dripping. I can't believe that in the year 2014, I'm rendering pork fat for lard just like my nan used to do all those years ago before they had electricity. blink.png

Not just any old fat either. It has to be either lard or dripping. I can't believe that in the year 2014, I'm rendering pork fat for lard just like my nan used to do all those years ago before they had electricity. blink.png

I mentioned Giraud a Gourmet before for sausages, pate, pepper ham etc but they also do rendered duck fat which is great for creating greasy breakfasts etc.

• Like 2

I mentioned Giraud a Gourmet before for sausages, pate, pepper ham etc but they also do rendered duck fat which is great for creating greasy breakfasts etc.

I brought a jar of duck fat back from England earlier this year. Magnificent for roast potatoes and carrots, although I haven't though of frying an egg in it. I'll have to give it a go.

And thanks for the heads up on it being available here, fresh would be so much better than the jarred variety. I know for next time. So many people have been sucked in by this low fat diet and now even the creators of it are admitting that they were wrong. People are scared to use saturated fats, which add a lot of flavour and aren't going to harm you unless you have a greasy fry up every day of the week, and who is going to do that? When we go home, our mother's both try to feed us up and start the day with a full English - after day 3 the novelty has worn off and i just want my yoghurt and berries and Mr K wants his big bowl of fruit and nuts with whey from the drained yoghurt. A full English is nice every now and again, but there is a limit.

By the way, I'm the only person I know who has a deep fat fryer and actually uses it on a fairly regular basis, two or three times a month. And chips should never be cooked in oil, insidious foreign idea. You need lard or dripping to fry eggs and lard to cook chips. And it's a lot of messing around to get enough pork fat rendered to fill the fryer. sad.png

I normally cook my own breakfast at home but I did try the big breakfast at Kellys in Mee Chok Plaza the other week and it was a very good breakfast for the price. I'll also give a thumbs up to Sausage King, both of these are probably a bit far out for those in town but for those who live in the San Sai area check them out if you haven't already.

On the subject of sausages, the best sausage hands down that I have eaten recently was the Spicy Italian Sausage at Ragu.

• Like 1

I've had breakfasts recently at the following places around CM:

Butter is Better - quite good, went back for a second go & still liked it. Will go again.

Sherylle's Bar - also quite good but waitress totally ditzy, forgot my daughter's order completely, even though she was writing the orders down!

Breakfast World - Very good quality and value but hard to find first time....

Tawan's Corner - Very good quality, plenty for your money (and the eggs beautifully cooked in butter, not fat) also flexible to swap unwanted items for extra egg or bacon - Going back soon.

Miguel's - Pretty good and nice to watch it being cooked but surroundings a bit jaded and no distractions except the mosquitoes. Once was enough, other places are more tempting.

Gecko's - Pretty darned poor but maybe I'm remembering the deaf & blind staff and the mosquitoes more than the food (not planning on going back)

Where is Tawan's Corner? Their Facebook page does not help much, but the owner seems very interested in sports. Hopefully, they turn it off in the morning!

Google maps has both roads Tawan's sits on the corner of. Pracha Samphan Road & Pracha Samphan 2 Alley. I am looking at it from my condo in Changklan Resident. Very close to Empress Hotel. As for sports, I haven't seen a tv there! Maybe that's Rob's personal bent. Very friendly Aussie manager Mark makes a mean cuppa.

Thanks. Google maps shows up in Thai on my computer, so pretty much useless, unless I get one of my staff to read it for me. .

Oh dear me, sorry for being so vague, here's a snip of what I see on Google Maps.

post-214380-0-23759500-1412934093_thumb.

PM me if you want to meet up for a breakfast or brunch at Tawan's in the next week. I really enjoy their food and it's very near for me.