Seven eleven sells outdated product

anthobkk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a pack of CP Ham from my local 711 last month. When I opened it, it had watery, greenish slime in between the slices. Was a break in the seal which should have been picked up along the supply chain including the 711.

Seems that your quality control did not pick it up until you opened it, so how do expect them to?

The date on the package is a sell by date and does not mean that it is bad instanly the next day. If I have items that are past the date I at lest open and taste them before I toss them. I actually used canned products that were more than a year old and am still here! Sealed bottled water even has a "use by date" on it!

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

It's worth noting that these are actually "sell by" dates, not true expiration dates. This is the date the manufacturer is supposed to guarantee product freshness and flavor. Almost all food is perfectly safe to eat after the sell-by date so long as it has been properly stored (i.e. refrigerated) and the packaging is still intact. It's a bit silly to think that a product suddenly "expires" and becomes inedible the moment the clock strikes midnight on whatever date is printed on the package. And as a previous post shows, it's entirely possible for food to be moldy or rotten well before the sell-by date if it hasn't been handled or stored properly.

Manufacturers often use the sell-by date as a sales gimmick to encourage people to throw away perfectly good product and purchase new. Example: all the ketchup packets I got with my McDelivery last week are stamped "EXP 31DEC14" but we all know that ketchup, being mostly vinegar and sugar along with a bit of tomato paste, stays viable for years in an unopened package.

For the OP's hard-boiled egg, I probably would have eaten it as long as it passed the smell test. A few days past the sell-by date is nothing to get worked up about.

Totally agree. I bought some Dijon for a barbecue, a cheap "store brand" packed in a plastic squeeze bottle (USA). Put it in fridge and a few months later I noticed it had "expired". Surprised I checked at the store and this mustard on the shelf had a expiration 5 months hence. No way this stuff is off in any way, they want you to buy it again!!! Edited by arunsakda

OP, why can't I believe you?

Must be my suspicious self.

But 1st about not allowing you to get a photograph........I doubt it.

Second they put the eggs back in the self........I doubt it.

Third, didn't you look for eggs with more recent date?

Any normal person would have done that.

Even me although I'm not normal.

Anyway you are right, they shouldn't sell out of date eggs.

I am quite surprised that your contemptuous comment is allowed and not moderated. Instead of disparaging, you should value member's comments; and get down off your high horse.

And just to add something to the topic, the same thing happened to me with other items. I have informed the staff of out of date items but they didn't care. The following day the item was still there waiting for an unlucky, unsuspecting fellow.

Why do stores care if you take photographs inside. Honestly, what's the deal?

Always worth a visit

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Haha, yeah, saw that site once. I was too slow to get a stealth photo, but the other day but in Makro, there was a portly Thai woman wearing a T-shirt with the following English text on it.

"My other shirt

was ruined by

BUKKAKE"

• Like 1

It's considered theft of intellectual property. Going into that in more detail is out of the scope of this discussion.

That's what I thought, but 7-11? That's overdoing it a bit I think. Anyway, yes, off topic, but thanks for the reply.

It's worth noting that these are actually "sell by" dates, not true expiration dates. This is the date the manufacturer is supposed to guarantee product freshness and flavor. Almost all food is perfectly safe to eat after the sell-by date so long as it has been properly stored (i.e. refrigerated) and the packaging is still intact. It's a bit silly to think that a product suddenly "expires" and becomes inedible the moment the clock strikes midnight on whatever date is printed on the package. And as a previous post shows, it's entirely possible for food to be moldy or rotten well before the sell-by date if it hasn't been handled or stored properly.

Manufacturers often use the sell-by date as a sales gimmick to encourage people to throw away perfectly good product and purchase new. Example: all the ketchup packets I got with my McDelivery last week are stamped "EXP 31DEC14" but we all know that ketchup, being mostly vinegar and sugar along with a bit of tomato paste, stays viable for years in an unopened package.

For the OP's hard-boiled egg, I probably would have eaten it as long as it passed the smell test. A few days past the sell-by date is nothing to get worked up about.

I believe most developed countries have fairly strict laws prohibiting supermarkets etc. from selling food items that are past the "sell by" or expiration date. Of course mistakes happen, all the time in fact, but the store should always take the item back and give a refund.

Edited by Kaalle

I can only speak for the USA, where the laws vary from state to state but usually cover only dairy, infant formula and some types of prepared baby foods. Aside from that, it's mostly voluntary or a matter of store policy. And they'll give you your money back for spoiled food regardless of whether or not the sell-by date has passed. That's just good customer service - something that's not well-developed in Thailand.

true story, they did me also the trick few yeags ago. I did buy their 37 baht chicken burger. When i started to eat chew it , i realized the meat was rotten.

So i walked back and complain, the burger was expired..... and you will not believe me! you know what they did?

They give me another chicken burger.... wait!

wait thats not the end of the story, and you will not believe me, but i swear its true!! The second chicken burger was also rotten... i swear its true.

The meat was dark, hard, visibly expired. But they did me the trick twice. Are they dumb? I can not really get the mindset of the staff!

I didnt bother to walk back, i just throw it.

And this is how they continue make a profit on rotted meat

No they're not dumb!

There you have the problem, many shops turn off the refrigerator during the night.

Do you know of any 7/11 that turns off refrigerators at night? Of course not. Why would you imply such a thing?

Talk about defamation.........

true story, they did me also the trick few yeags ago. I did buy their 37 baht chicken burger. When i started to eat chew it , i realized the meat was rotten.

So i walked back and complain, the burger was expired..... and you will not believe me! you know what they did?

They give me another chicken burger.... wait!

wait thats not the end of the story, and you will not believe me, but i swear its true!! The second chicken burger was also rotten... i swear its true.

The meat was dark, hard, visibly expired. But they did me the trick twice. Are they dumb? I can not really get the mindset of the staff!

I didnt bother to walk back, i just throw it.

And this is how they continue make a profit on rotted meat

No they're not dumb!

You are implying that this is a corporate policy. Do you have anything but one Thai Visa poster to base your generalization on? If not that is certainly defamation. ......

There you have the problem, many shops turn off the refrigerator during the night.

Do you know of any 7/11 that turns off refrigerators at night? Of course not. Why would you imply such a thing?

I quote attrayant reply but for some reason the quote did not show. No I did not talk about 7/11. For example some villa markets turn of the refrigerator at night.

Edited by poooket

7 is not the only one with this problem. I've learned through hard experience to check the date dates on all foodstuffs from any of the stores, even the high-end ones. Seems that "rotate your stock" is not a watchword here. In the village markets, of course, you check that the produce is fresh, the eels are still swimming, etc.

check the date hmmmmmmmm not much chance of that if they stick one of their labels over it.

then try and peel it off.

7 is not the only one with this problem. I've learned through hard experience to check the date dates on all foodstuffs from any of the stores, even the high-end ones. Seems that "rotate your stock" is not a watchword here. In the village markets, of course, you check that the produce is fresh, the eels are still swimming, etc.

check the date hmmmmmmmm not much chance of that if they stick one of their labels over it.

then try and peel it off.

Point well taken! Don't know how to get around that, especially with meats. But even on dry goods, and factory-packed stuff, there are many times that the use-by date is long past :(

At Big C market, for fresh products ( cheese, milk ... ), when the products are almost out of date ( finish the day after ), they put them separate in a cold place with 50 or 40 % discount

I love this. I often get Parmesan cheese and sour cream at half price and it still stays good in my fridge 2-3 weeks after I buy it.

OP you may not believe this but sometimes this heinous crime also happens in the UK. I would also point out that the sell by date is there mainly for the consumer to check BEFORE purchase and secondly for stock rotation in the retail outlet.

I also think that the sell by date and use by dates are just a scam to get you to buy more food. I have many times eaten food past its so called sell by date. Food tends to have its own sell by date feature like looks and smell.

My local 7/11 often has 2 for 1 deals when things reach their sell by date and I buy them and eat them during the coming week without any harm.

At Big C market, for fresh products ( cheese, milk ... ), when the products are almost out of date ( finish the day after ), they put them separate in a cold place with 50 or 40 % discount

I love this. I often get Parmesan cheese and sour cream at half price and it still stays good in my fridge 2-3 weeks after I buy it.

Some food, packed Parmesan and sour cream are a good example, can stay much longer than their date.

Parmesan and all the harder cheese were developed to store milk over a long time. Parmesan might be able to stay for years.

Often there is a good deal with yoghurt.

Canned products can often stay decades over their "used by" date. The canned fatty meat spread at the army was 30 years old when we ate them. The same is sold with 1 year usually.

Deep frozen or dried products can often stay YEARS longer than their date. My parents told me, they just ate a jam, my mother made when she was pregnant with me. (I am now 43, so is the jam)

On 99 % of all cases people can detect if something can be eaten, visual, smell, taste....we aren't that degenerated yet.

The remaining 1 % is common sense or if there is none just don't overdo it.

Reading the OP and some of the replies I am surprised you actually leave the safety of your homes and venture out into big bad Thailand.

Come on this crap happens everwhere.

In the Uk supermarkets put the out of date stuff on special offer....it gets sold.

Stop being so precious

Absolute tosh. UK supermarkets may put stuff on offer approaching sell by date, or indeed on the date, but I bet you a hot cross bun to a pound of ripe bananas these products are removed when that date has passed (cheese and beer included).... and certainly after five freakin days! But you carry on and think things like the op are in-line with the rest of the world if it keeps you all Thai loved-up. wink.png

• Like 1

Reading the OP and some of the replies I am surprised you actually leave the safety of your homes and venture out into big bad Thailand.

In the Uk supermarkets put the out of date stuff on special offer....it gets sold.

Stop being so precious

Absolute tosh. UK supermarkets may put stuff on offer approaching sell by date, or indeed on the date, but I bet you a hot cross bun to a pound of ripe bananas these products are removed when that date has passed (cheese and beer included).... and certainly after five freakin days! But you carry on and think things like the op are in-line with the rest of the world if it keeps you all Thai loved-up. wink.png

your right DA. maybe BH.doesnt know the difference between the sell or use by date and the best by date the latter can be sold past the date.

Stop being so precious

Absolute tosh. Out-of-date food in UK supermarkets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6676345.stm

7-11s are open 24 hrs a day, so they have to keep them switched on. In the UK, they advertise 'chilled drinks' but keep the refrigerator down low, so the drinks are nowhere near chilled. Going a little bit off topic, the majority of 7-11s that I know keep their drinks chilled, I avoid the one or two who don't.

In the town near my village, there are three 7-11s, and their drinks are always chilled, but go to any Mom and Pop shop there, and take a drink from their refrigerator, it will not be even cold.