Liberia 'to prosecute US Ebola man'

webfact

Ebola crisis: Liberia 'to prosecute man in US hospital'

(BBC) The Liberian authorities say they will prosecute the man diagnosed with Ebola in the US, accusing him of lying over his contact with an infected relative.

When he left the country last month, Liberian national Thomas Eric Duncan filled in a questionnaire saying that none of his relatives were sick.

But Liberia's assistant health minister said he had taken a sick relative to a clinic in a wheelbarrow.

Mr Duncan is in a serious condition in a Dallas hospital.

His is the first case of Ebola to be diagnosed on US soil, where as many as 100 people are being checked for exposure to Ebola.

More than 3,330 people have died in the Ebola outbreak in four West African countries.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29467489

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-03

This man will never go back to Liberia again. Blame the victim, sound familiar ?

I dont know that any one is blaming for anything other than lying , if indeed he lied, then he should be held accountable,

His behavior has placed many people in danger and could cause others to suffer and die.

A civilised country would have placed the man under quarantine instead of allowing him to head for the airport and board a flight half way around the world.

This man will never go back to Liberia again. Blame the victim, sound familiar ?

I dont know that any one is blaming for anything other than lying , if indeed he lied, then he should be held accountable,

His behavior has placed many people in danger and could cause others to suffer and die.

A civilised country would have placed the man under quarantine instead of allowing him to head for the airport and board a flight half way around the world.

and a civilized man would not have lied and endangered other people. They asked him if he was exposed and he lied, if he had not lied they would not have allowed him to travel.

This is true, however many people will do anything they can to escape quarantine. Bribing officials, etc.

Lets be clear that a quarantine situation in this scenario would be an almost certain death sentence.

If we start to see an acceleration and 1000's of cases on a weekly basis there will be no more quarantine, euthanasia will be widespread.

Not one to be paranoid, but it is time to close borders to anyone having been in West Africa.

-----------

TORONTO A patient at a Toronto hospital is being tested for Ebola as well as other possible illnesses.

Torontos University Health Network (UHN) confirmed a patient who had recently traveled to West Africa was admitted to one of its four hospitals with a fever, but wouldnt say which hospital or what West African country.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1595700/toronto-hospital-testing-patient-for-ebola-virus/

and a civilized man would not have lied and endangered other people. They asked him if he was exposed and he lied, if he had not lied they would not have allowed him to travel.

This is true, however many people will do anything they can to escape quarantine. Bribing officials, etc.

Lets be clear that a quarantine situation in this scenario would be an almost certain death sentence.

If we start to see an acceleration and 1000's of cases on a weekly basis there will be no more quarantine, euthanasia will be widespread.

Sure, and such behavior would also be subject to prosecution.The fact that some one is in imminent danger of death, does not give them the right to take many others with them. It is not moral and it is not legal.

I'm guessing that he thought that hew would die in Liberia, if he got ill, and be would be treated in the USA and survive. It looks like he was probably right.

• Like 1

Sure, and such behavior would also be subject to prosecution.The fact that some one is in imminent danger of death, does not give them the right to take many others with them. It is not moral and it is not legal.

I'm guessing that he thought that hew would die in Liberia, if he got ill, and be would be treated in the USA and survive. It looks like he was probably right.

However his guess has now left others exposed to the disease he was carrying and put their lives and possibly others in danger.

The OP says at least 100 are now being tested, presumably from contact with him.

How do you feel as a US citizen, and presumably Tax payer, in footing the bill for his guess as well as the outside possibility that one or more of your friends or relatives could have had contact with someone infected by him ?

• Like 2

I read there is a 40-50% survival rate at the moment if you have ebola and have access to medicine. People with ethics would subject themselves to quarantine not a lame excuse and put others in danger.

All I would like to know is if it is so hard to spread this disease (according to the WHO, and CDC) how is it so many

doctors and nurses have contracted the disease. We hear about the western ones but there have also been many

African health care workers as well. I understand the family members who do not have the equipment and training but what about

those who have the training, understanding, and equipment. Or is it the usual lie,lie, lie, to prevent wide spread panic.

After all it is clear of late governments will tell you whatever they want, and insist it is the truth.

All I would like to know is if it is so hard to spread this disease (according to the WHO, and CDC) how is it so many

doctors and nurses have contracted the disease. We hear about the western ones but there have also been many

African health care workers as well. I understand the family members who do not have the equipment and training but what about

those who have the training, understanding, and equipment. Or is it the usual lie,lie, lie, to prevent wide spread panic.

After all it is clear of late governments will tell you whatever they want, and insist it is the truth.

This has been addressed numerous times and doctors contracting explained how and why they contracted the virus. They only wear protective gear a few hours a day, at most, and while treating those in isolation ward. They are not wearing gear when dealing with patients that present with a variety of symptoms that may or may not have Ebola and when interacting with others outside isolation units.

--------

Latest US doc to get Ebola skipped protective gear in 100-degree heat, says colleague

Although the hospital's Ebola Treatment Unit is sanitized constantly, including through the use of an ultraviolet ray-emitting machine Deal arranged for, outpatients who see workers in other parts of the facility, who have not been diagnosed and may be in denial about their symptoms often come in contact with unprotected staff, Deal said.

. . .

Deal said working in the suits is exhausting, and doctors can last little more than 3-4 hours in them. Deal said it takes more than 30 minutes to get out of the suit, and a bleach solution must be applied on each newly-exposed layer.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/09/03/latest-us-doc-get-ebola-skipped-protective-gear-100-degree-heat-says-colleague/

Liberia is civilized ?

Liberia is civilized ?

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

If Mr. Duncan survives - he currently has been reclassified to be in critical condition, he would at some point be returned to Liberia as he originally had a return flight in October... Plus his visa is only for visiting not staying there forever. But visa overstays are at a very high rate I read... Should he recover and return home... they will likely prosecute him as they has said... And why not? As said he put other people at danger... He was exposed - little doubt about that... and that is what he lied about according to the form he signed ... there is a copy circulating ... but it was at an angle - difficult to read..

If Mr. Duncan survives - he currently has been reclassified to be in critical condition, he would at some point be returned to Liberia as he originally had a return flight in October... Plus his visa is only for visiting not staying there forever. But visa overstays are at a very high rate I read... Should he recover and return home... they will likely prosecute him as they has said... And why not? As said he put other people at danger... He was exposed - little doubt about that... and that is what he lied about according to the form he signed ... there is a copy circulating ... but it was at an angle - difficult to read..

Well Howdy Mr over educated Hillbilly from Kentucky. How long did it take you to complete your sixth grade evajucation?

It took me nine years, I was such a good student and my sixth grade teacher loved me so much, she kept me there for three yearslaugh.png

I could not agree more with you Your book learning shows,