Chiang Mai feels the arrival of winter

webfact

Here in the North (Fang valley is 150 km. North of Chiangmai) we are surrounded by hills and many hill-tribe villages. Even down in the valley it has been noticeably cool in the mornings and quite misty.

Most of the needy are the tribes living in the hills, and since they are poor the clothing gets worn throughout the year and especially by the kids. Even during other seasons it is noticeably cooler up on the hills. The kids will be growing too so yes, they do need fresh clothing every year.

Here in the North (Fang valley is 150 km. North of Chiangmai) we are surrounded by hills and many hill-tribe villages. Even down in the valley it has been noticeably cool in the mornings and quite misty.

Most of the needy are the tribes living in the hills, and since they are poor the clothing gets worn throughout the year and especially by the kids. Even during other seasons it is noticeably cooler up on the hills. The kids will be growing too so yes, they do need fresh clothing every year.

When I was a kid growing up in the hills of North Lancashire (where let me assure you, it is much much colder than any part of Thailand) there was a hand-me-down system, my younger brother fared well from this, I had two older sisters, so the weekend look wasn't so good for me.

And I haven't to this date ever out-grown a blanket.

So, what happened to all the donations from last year, and the year before that, and every year before?

Every year for as long as I can remember, it appears that entire communities need to be re-supplied, why is that?

• Like 1

I would like to say that clothing in this environment and climate deteriorate far quicker than in the cool of Britain as they are also subject to ruin by insects and rodents.... particularly if you are living in a bamboo hut with thatched roof...

...and also perhaps ask those member who are complaining ...just how many items they donated in the past few years?

With the help of kind friends I was able to donate 2,000+ sets of warm clothes 3 years ago... 400+ 2 years ago ... and 500+ last year....

Edited by fabianfred