WHO asks for Ebola anti-body from Bangkok's Siriraj for lab test

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't the WHO be surprised with the suggested Thai cure is an amulet and some betel nut...

yes, especially when Roger Daltrey opens his mail...tongue.png

Lol yes that would be the only WHO trying to get something out of Thailand e.g. Royalties for their music and I bet that cheque got lost in the mail too .

They have already said that they never had the whole virus in the press conference. The antibodies are not raised by computer simulations.

Thank you. Your post was very informative and in layman's language that made it understandable for Joe Public. Very good post.

Good on you. wai2.gif

Would not any person who survived a viral infection have developed anti body's to the virus.

So a blood sample from that person could be the source of a vaccine???

in Africa it would probably be a source of aids as well......oops, not PC.

Ahhh.... GREAT! I'm sure soon some high ranking person will say that they have finished 85% of the vaccine, but the final test are still at large. Now all they have to do is to wait 3 days before they can give the vaccine a digital wristband and ask it to pay an entrance fee before it's injected into.... I think I lost it there.... whistling.gif

What i wounder , what is Thailand Goverment do to stopp people, and airlines that fly from Africa to BBK in this Ebola subject ??? can just imagine how wrong that can go if this get foothold in Thailand in Tourist place.

Or any popular tourist destination anywhere in the world. Or any city with a population of 10 million plus. This has the potential to become a pandemic, although unlike any of the recent ones which could have been you don't have to be within sneezing distance, it's only transferred by bodily fluid. Having said that, I suppose if Nancy the Nigerian had been sneezing wet ones into her hand instead of a hankie and then put her hand on a hand rail or some suchlike thing and you put your hand onto the same place whilst it was still a little bit wet and you didn't realise it was sticky and then at some stage soon after you put your fingers into your mouth, then you'd be zapped, although that scenario is very unlikely unless in a very highly populated place, where you would imagine everyone would be being overly cautious by wearing masks so as not to absent mindedly put their potentially ebola carrying fingers into their mouths.

What I mean to say is thank goodness it's not an airborne thing, because being infected only by bodily fluids makes it a lot harder to catch. Given the extraordinarily high mortality rate, that is a very, very good thing. Unless mozzies can carry and transfer it person to person like they do with malaria and dengue. <Fingers in ears, La La La La, I'm not listening>

I can't find anything online about WHO's request.

Looks like more hemorrhaging of the mouth, like the Tour de France, which was a flat out lie.

I do find a reference that WHO is conducting tests on two vaccine samples (from the US n Canada) that might work at their level 4 facility in the US.

I think Thailand only has a level 3 facility, which would not permit them to test the vaccine against a live (real) Ebola virus. They can only test the vaccine's reaction to certain proteins associated with Ebola,

It's a step, and I applaud the Thais, for their effort, but the next required step is to have the vaccine tested against a live Ebola virus in a level 4 facility.

• Like 1

I can't find anything online about WHO's request.

Looks like more hemorrhaging of the mouth, like the Tour de France, which was a flat out lie.

I do find a reference that WHO is conducting tests on two vaccine samples (from the US n Canada) that might work at their level 4 facility in the US.

I think Thailand only has a level 3 facility, which would not permit them to test the vaccine against a live (real) Ebola virus. They can only test the vaccine's reaction to certain proteins associated with Ebola,

It's a step, and I applaud the Thais, for their effort, but the next required step is to have the vaccine tested against a live Ebola virus in a level 4 facility.

1. This Thai development is NOT A VACCINE, so everything you say about vaccines is not relevant to what the Thais have done.

2. In any case vaccines do not " react to" certain proteins associated with Ebola. Vaccines ARE certain proteins associated with the Ebola virus.

3. Therefore you cannot test vaccines on a live Ebola virus - this is meaningless as they would not do anything with, or to, a live Ebola virus. You can only test a vaccine by injecting people or animals with it and then seeing if they are prevented from catching the disease.

What you've posted shows you don't understand what the Thais have announced they have done (see post #32 for a summary), or what a vaccine is, so you are not in a particularly strong position to evaluate how useful it might be.

Edited by partington
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From WHO website...

Two promising candidate vaccines

Given the public health need for safe and effective Ebola interventions, WHO regards the expedited evaluation of all Ebola vaccines with clinical grade material as a high priority.

Two candidate vaccines have clinical-grade vials available for phase 1 pre-licensure clinical trials.

One (cAd3-ZEBOV) has been developed by GlaxoSmithKline in collaboration with the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. It uses a chimpanzee-derived adenovirus vector with an Ebola virus gene inserted.

The second (rVSV-ZEBOV) was developed by the Public Health Agency of Canada in Winnipeg. The license for commercialization of the Canadian vaccine is held by an American company, the NewLink Genetics company, located in Ames, Iowa. The vaccine uses an attenuated or weakened vesicular stomatitis virus, a pathogen found in livestock; one of its genes has been replaced by an Ebola virus gene.

I believe it's the first of these candidate vaccines that the two U.S. caregivers who caught the disease while working in Liberia were given (Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol). I'm not sure, but I think it's now going under the name "ZMapp".

Would not any person who survived a viral infection have developed anti body's to the virus.

So a blood sample from that person could be the source of a vaccine???

This is actually being tried on another infected caregiver returning from Liberia (Rick Sacra), who happens to have the same blood type as Kent Brantly (from whom he has received two transfusions).

It also seems that in addition to ZMapp, Dr. Brantly ALSO received a vial of an Ebola survivor's blood before returning from Liberia.

It's apparently regarded as a "worth a try" type of thing.

This publication had a good piece about two days before the pup and pony show and I see they have updated their story and included the press conference video.

Some very uncomfortable looking doctors when a few foreign journalists starting asking questions and the look on one of the journalists faces after being given the answer is magic.

It's mostly in Thai but they never mention the word vaccine once - as partington has pointed out twice (See, some people do read the entire thread before posting) . It's a "therapeutic antibody treatment" that hasn't been tested on live Ebola, mice or primates yet. It's a long way from being anything.

From what the article says a standard drug cycle from creation to gaining FDA and EU approval is 10 to 15 years.

http://www.establishmentpost.com/thailand-announces-cure-vaccine-for-ebola/

It is also unlikely that a real Ebola virus was imported into Thailand for study.

Especially considering there is nowhere safe enough to store it. Let alone transport it.

And can you imagine any gov. cabinet being asked to OK importing it for study?

So how did they have more than a computer simulation of Ebola to design an anti-body for it?

And why do they believe a computer simulation and then some genetic tinkering may have designed a cure?

And of course having designed an anti-body, does not equal their statement of having ;

'Created a cure for Ebola.'

WHO is calling their bluff, and partly wishful thinking that they might accidentally have something useful.

In theory the thai antibody does have merit.

Similar to what the liberian doctor reasoned. if a known hiv drug works by limiting hiv (rna virus) production in the host then perhaps it could also have an effect on ebola (also an rna virus) the liberian doctors better judgement and humility apparently did not allow him to make a spectacle out of his very significant REAL result. 13 / 15 patients survived.

This publication had a good piece about two days before the pup and pony show and I see they have updated their story and included the press conference video.

Some very uncomfortable looking doctors when a few foreign journalists starting asking questions and the look on one of the journalists faces after being given the answer is magic.

It's mostly in Thai but they never mention the word vaccine once - as partington has pointed out twice (See, some people do read the entire thread before posting) . It's a "therapeutic antibody treatment" that hasn't been tested on live Ebola, mice or primates yet. It's a long way from being anything.

From what the article says a standard drug cycle from creation to gaining FDA and EU approval is 10 to 15 years.

http://www.establishmentpost.com/thailand-announces-cure-vaccine-for-ebola/

Thank you for the video. Naturally, at 1:40:00 long and mostly in Thai, I have jumped about to find English language content. The main words appear to be "we are confident that we will be able". I recognise the non-exact control of the English language but it would appear that they have nothing and they have called the world's press to discuss concepts and dreams. Can a medical person with more patience and understanding of Thai find anything with more certainty or is this all just evasive language in Thai too?

A quick view of how the world is viewing Thursday's announcements. Bearing in mind that if this was something real it would be EVERYWHERE.

A search of google news only shows 3 media outlets outside of Thailand carrying any news after the press conference. Before quite a number were interested but afterwards we have:

Channel News Asia

Voice of America

Nothing much but then I found a Reuters article sitting in, of all places, the Daily Mail's website. It is 2 paragraphs. The first is quoting Bangkok Post and the 2nd is the summary statement from the press conference. After this is simply says

NOTE: Reuters has not verified this story and does not vouch for its accuracy. (Bangkok Newsroom; Editing by Biju Dwarakanath)

Interestingly searching "New Scientist Ebola Thailand" brings up.....nothing.

It is also unlikely that a real Ebola virus was imported into Thailand for study.

Especially considering there is nowhere safe enough to store it. Let alone transport it.

And can you imagine any gov. cabinet being asked to OK importing it for study?

So how did they have more than a computer simulation of Ebola to design an anti-body for it?

And why do they believe a computer simulation and then some genetic tinkering may have designed a cure?

And of course having designed an anti-body, does not equal their statement of having ;

'Created a cure for Ebola.'

WHO is calling their bluff, and partly wishful thinking that they might accidentally have something useful.

From other News Posts His Majesty has just recently been re-admitted to Siriraj Hospital and is confirmed to be in frail health.

Am I the only one who feels there may be some danger in allowing these people to "showboat" and play with virulent organisms in the same facility, even if it's not the "real" Ebola virus?

Patrick