Farang/Thai couples - why so touchy-feely?

SoiBiker

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not only does it show affection and that you care for that person,,, but also by holding hands, you don't lose them when you go shopping smile.png

Yep - and I tend to walk USA style (less relaxed) while she walks Thai style......Thai style is better - unless you actually want to get someplace......whistling.gif

• Like 2

My girlfriend of three years is quite traditional, and we never hold hands or otherwise show affection in public. Maybe we're exceptions to the general rule, though most of the other farang/Thai couples we're friends with act about the same as us. All of us are foreigners who've been around the culture for many years and genuinely try to respect it. But is holding hands an inconsiderate move in Thailand? No way.

Public displays of affection are not a uniquely western thing. Africans do it to, and Eskimos. Its quite an enjoyable thing and might actually do something to.release a little of the repressed tension among the youth of today.

I don't think Thais are taking too many examples from Thai Farang couples. Maybe they should just stick to things like thainsoap operas for advice about beating their bird into submission and that if she gets a bit cheeky she might get a bit of punishment between the sheets.

And ain't that the way it should be. Thainess. Universally hypocritical in every manner.

is there a subject you cant turn into thai bashing?

Coz, to be perfectly frank, I never noticed that farangs were particularly touchy with their wives. My missus certainly isn't, and I consider it a complete irrelevance.

There are far more important issues in Thai society which are real problems that go way beyond whether holding hands is a problem

15 years together and still holding hands...so do many Thai couples just watch and observe..I sometimes feel we are being judged and compared with the farangs and their little hookers, but I am not going ti behave differently because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Agree with you mate. Been 11 years for us. Holding hands or arms is nice I think and shows the couple still close.

However, the ones who are wrapped around one another like limpets or where the guy has very wandering hands and/or snogging away is, well, not good behavior in most societies, and most ladies wouldn't want that. Go to the bars around Nana/Cowboy/Patpong if you want to behave like that with the ladies of the night, not on the BTS. People who behave like this are often in secure exhibitionists needing to demonstrate that they have a partner "the hey look at me syndrome". Girls with their new older farang short term holiday bfs like to hold hands to demonstrate possession and as a keep off sign to the other "working" ladies.

Most Thais I know think public displays of affection are low class behavior - yet I know many take a regular "massage" and some have mia noi's. Almost a Victorian attitude. It's all o k as long as not seen.

Public displays of affection are not a uniquely western thing. Africans do it to, and Eskimos. Its quite an enjoyable thing and might actually do something to.release a little of the repressed tension among the youth of today.

I don't think Thais are taking too many examples from Thai Farang couples. Maybe they should just stick to things like thainsoap operas for advice about beating their bird into submission and that if she gets a bit cheeky she might get a bit of punishment between the sheets.

And ain't that the way it should be. Thainess. Universally hypocritical in every manner.

is there a subject you cant turn into thai bashing?

Coz, to be perfectly frank, I never noticed that farangs were particularly touchy with their wives. My missus certainly isn't, and I consider it a complete irrelevance.

There are far more important issues in Thai society which are real problems that go way beyond whether holding hands is a problem

nice dodge

Ninety percent can't communicate in English or Thai so they need to use hand signals, baby talk and physical touch.

poor guy, I am afraid there is no hope for you...

Have you actually had real sexual relations with a real woman?

What a strange thing to say.

You deserve anything negative said here for your stupid troll post that has zero merit.

It's just an observation - and it's inspired some interesting responses. Why so angry?

Haven't you ever been in Love?

In Thai culture it's not appropriate to show affection in public, at least for older people. In Bangkok there are youngster who will act like a westerners, but that doesn't meant that outside of Bangkok its ok to act like that. What I've been understood at least older thai couples will show affection between each other only on private. I haven't seen thais hug their children much, at least in public.

Times change.

I heard in Thailand that even prostitution is illegal and yet it happens. Just imagine. The scandal.

You heard an oft repeated myth. You'll even see people holding hands with their prostitute of choice. It's very sweet.

• Like 1

Have you actually had real sexual relations with a real woman?

What a strange thing to say.

You deserve anything negative said here for your stupid troll post that has zero merit.

It's just an observation - and it's inspired some interesting responses. Why so angry?

Because I am depressed that Costas 2008 didn't jump on this bandwagon you created as a Troll post to bring out the never ending interesting responses... Did you learn anything? Did you finish your Thesis

Because I am depressed that Costas 2008 didn't jump on this bandwagon you created as a Troll post to bring out the never ending interesting responses... Did you learn anything? Did you finish your Thesis

Other people are engaging with the topic. Looks like you're the one trolling...

Engaging???? Is that what you are calling it??? You have been put down 9 out 10 so far for your mindless dribbled opinon TROLL>

Engaging???? Is that what you are calling it??? You have been put down 9 out 10 so far for your mindless dribbled opinon TROLL>

chill my friend

• Like 1

I was waiting and got bored, i really don't give a sht who holds hands and why.. Believe me there are more interesting topics than this one. Like the psychology behind women wearing high heels mmppfff.