Corruption probe underway in 600-million baht futsal court project initiated by politicians

Lite Beer

These so called officials make me sick.. They fix the tender and over price the work so that there is plenty to skim off the top for their fat wallets. They then walk around the city labeled as "hi so" members of society and the very people who have lined their pockets with their tax payments look up to them.

They should be ashamed of themselves. Thailand is a developing country and the quicker the country locks up these disgusting thieves the quicker the money can go to helping the right people.

A nice round sum, 5 million Baht, eh?

The shoddiest concrete work I ever saw was for staff houses built at a government hospital in Udon Thani province. Words fail me to describe the crumbling mess, the bad forms and "workmanship". Seems they hire anyone literally as construction worker?!? And no one tests what's being sold as "concrete"?

By comparison, what I've seen in Vietnam is of a much higher standard.

Early this year, government schools were on a spending spree. Paint was splashed all over side walks and lots of planting went down. Meanwhile, the broken PVC water pipes leading to our students having no running water in toilets... It's a disgrace how money gets wasted! Some schools even lack a chair and a table for each student, i kid you not.

Some lack electricity. Not sure how many but when the PTP started the one student one pad fiasco there were 2,000 of them.

Not only does the education system need over hauling but it needs a financial watchdog with enough brains to figure out 2+2=4. Also they should be above corruption. For the line up will be long to give them envelopes.

By new era in Thailand do you mean the investigation of possible corruption? If so, investigation into possible corruption has been going on for a long time in Thailand--it's just rarely a corruption investigation leads to arrest and conviction....it just kinda fizzles out after the initial media fanfare. Now when we see clear evidence of corruption investigations resulting in arrest and conviction (prison time would be nice also), them maybe we have entered a new era in Thailand. But one can hope....time will tell.

Under the PTP government the program was cut back while corruption increased.

A little off topic but close.

Does any one know what ever happened to the police station remodeling in various locations around Thailand and in some cases new ones being built that never really came about.

I believe that was a Democrat project.

Give it a rest, dosnt matter what colour is involved there are good projects outside the corruption of course and they are in all camps not just yellow.. but.........Example upon example it goes on and on red, yellow it dosnt matter overall, the place is rotten and corrupt to the core ... from the very top down.

Does any one know what ever happened to the police station remodeling in various locations around Thailand and in some cases new ones being built that never really came about.

I believe that was a Democrat project.

As best as I recall, the current government supposedly awarded a new contract to complete the original work shortly after their arrival. At the time, from the news reports, it wasn't clear whether the award went to the original contractor company or a different one.

-------------------------------------------------

But what I was going to ask was... what ever happened to the big BMA futsal stadium on the outskirts of Bangkok that they were trying to get finished for some big FIFA international tournament, but didn't complete properly in time???

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Fifa-rejects-Bangkok-Futsal-Arena-30193773.html

They obviously haven't updated their website lately:

http://www.bangkokfutsalarena.com/bangkok_futsal_arena_en.php

The Bangkok Futsal Arena must be ready to serve the world tournament and enhance Bangkok’s dignity as the host city.

I can't find anything that says it's actually opened or ever been used for anything, as yet.

But this thread below and its included photos from Jan 2014 certainly show at least the surrounding paving as not having been completed...long after the original supposed completion dates.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1478741&page=27

There was a Matichon news report in Thai posted in mid-2014 talking about the PTP-requested DSI probe into alleged bid rigging on the project, but I couldn't quite tell from the English translation what the outcome of that was.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I quote:-

"The PACC is now requesting the same investigative rights as the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to be able to investigate both public and private counterparts involved in the project".

Why cant both agencies work together or does one of them not trust the other's integrity?

The rubber mats for the project were acquired at 2,600 baht per sheet while market prices ranges from 200 to 1,600 baht per sheet

​ Especially cheaper when buying thousands of them. I'd never ever accuse school directors of knowing anything about it.

Time for rolling heads at the top. And I mean it.....facepalm.gif

Rolling heads would be a real treat.

This/these antics of corruption are the NORM in Isaan one example of which are the roads. New road.... looks great... lasts a/b a week b/f deterioration. In a/b a month no one would ever believe it/they were so "new." I suppose w/ "perhaps" half the materials not used it's easy to have crumbling blacktop. This scam is repeated and repeated and it seem no one asks anything a/b this.

As you say, corruption investigation has been existing in Thailand as long as Thailand exists.

But these investigations have very rarely lead to REAL jail term and/or financial condemnation.

Now, even more than before, we can see criminal convicts with a heavy jail term walking free after a few days jail.

But it is nice to see that most TV members think that the problem is solution now and corruption is finished.

I'm sure you can't wait to give us examples of "criminal convicts with a heavy jail term walking free after a few days jail."

Well, how about the Yellow Shirt creator, the originator, who was given a much stiffer sentence than the dreaded Thaksin, and who is now at his house sipping tea...and laughing at you. In his case, no jail time at all...subsequent appeals will drag on until he actually dies and NEVER sees a day in jail.

Duh. It seems you do not even read the news.clap2.gif

Doh! He is on bail, and has been for some time, which hardly fits in with "Now, even more than before..."

Corruption throughout........every project...government or not, is laden with these plebs that insist on ripping the general public........

Catch 'em......take 'em to court.........don't visit them when they're doing time!!

Hire 10 German workers in every Thailand department , and this would solve 50 prosent of the problem.

You are taking the piss or joking, right?

There is no corruption in Germany 5555 clap2.gifclap2.gif Ask Siemens or Bernie Eccelstone. In one group, we had to fire the CEO of our German business, in another the finance manger was a tad creative.

Corruption free my arse. The 10:1 ratio would just about cover the meaningless bureaucracy most German organizations like to adopt though.

Edited by Baerboxer

Again a case from mis understanding. The poor Thai people are again lured by those mean Burmese workers. Good that the NACC found it out on time, the last floor was just delivered, and the Thai police captured the two Burmese culprits on a lovely holiday island, Kao Tao, spending their stolen money.

Lucky the Thai police could match, in a 20 seconds test,the DNA from those culprits with DNA found on one of the floors and will look if they can link more crimes from the past, like the 500 missing cars by customs, the 15oo cars for the BMA, the airport scanners, the blimp from the army, to name a few, to those two Burmese.

There is no corruption in Germany 5555 clap2.gifclap2.gif Ask Siemens or Bernie Eccelstone. In one group, we had to fire the CEO of our German business, in another the finance manger was a tad creative.

Send email to Siemens, my former employer, But they are, like me, curious where you point at ?

If they are not up to spec sue the contractors and companies that built them into bankruptcy and then go for the directors assets, Maybe then they will learn to deliver what the contract stated.

"sue" - that is like giving them a heads up on trouble to follow (a la iPhones MBK) thereby allowing the assets and their owners to perhaps flee the country!

Needs more direct action! The current interim Government and NCPO should "grab" those responsible and freeze their assets first, pending further investigation.

The first course of action allows the authorities to say we dealt with the problem (really? - how easy) and the second way sends out a message that this behaviour will not be tolerated and will be punished in future and hopefully, retrospectively, for others as well.

Unfortunately, some "democracy at any cost" supporters may not support such draconian solutions to corruption. Tough titties!

The BangkokPost has some update on this.

It would seem that a Adisorn Nauvanon who is chairman of some committee on teachers and educational staff in a Nakhon Ratchasima Zone, said not to be sure the PACC and state agencies would be able to take legal action against the people involved in the scam as most of them are senior executives of Obec.

Edited by rubl