Can I mail a machete/long knife from Thailand?

radiojedi

Hi all,

Is it legal or illegal to mail (and of course, properly declare on the paperwork) one of those handmade machetes/long knives you see for sale all over? We have one for use at our home but I would like to send one to my brother for a Christmas present. If it can't be mailed, can it be sent via Fedex or another service? Or does Thailand prohibit these kinds of weapons from being shipped?

There was a gentleman in Ayutthaya (can't remember his real name, was from Luxembourg and used the online id cozun) who ran a business commissioning elaborate swords - often copies of historical swords - from local craftsmen and selling them to foreigners via the Internet, so it certainly is possible to send them abroad.

At a guess, I would say you are from the UK. Yes you can send them, just mark the customs as gardening tool, or house ornament. You can even send knuckle dusters and stun guns if you want. I sent some stun guns before and the lady at the post office asked what it was and did it have batteries in it. I said yes it has and fired it up. She shit herself and jumped back but then started to laugh. Never made me take any batteries out, just packed it up for me. You gotta love Thailand.

Oh I forgot, get some throwing stars in the package too.

Edited by misterphil

I have shipped many knives out of here, including the native choppers made from car and truck springs. All arrived in US, never confiscated, never added duty, declared as 'knives, household.' never a problem on either end. To other countries, I have no experience.

All you can do is try.

• Like 1

Sent many in the Post, no issue at all , either end.

Even put them in my checked baggage and fly them internationally, never an issue..

Shipping VIA mail can be expensive, and Bolo makes the best Machetes. The local machete can greatly vary in quality, and the edge blunts on some very quickly. Some hold the edge well, even from the same vendor.

I know a Burmese fellow here in CM that makes beautiful hunting knives and etches them with Asian designs, and have brought piles of these abroad as well.

Just do not try carry on baggage with these and all is well.

Honestly the folk aren't being helpful, if its legal back home as a gardening tool you are fine.

This is a joke and the folks are right to say as they please.

If people can learn the basics of contacting the proper authorities instead of trying to weasel someone else doing it for them, then whatever comments fly at them are justified.

Next we will hear some dingleberry ask the forum... "Should I hold my fork with the left hand or right hand, while eating"

Sent many in the Post, no issue at all , either end.

Even put them in my checked baggage and fly them internationally, never an issue..

Shipping VIA mail can be expensive, and Bolo makes the best Machetes. The local machete can greatly vary in quality, and the edge blunts on some very quickly. Some hold the edge well, even from the same vendor.

I know a Burmese fellow here in CM that makes beautiful hunting knives and etches them with Asian designs, and have brought piles of these abroad as well.

Just do not try carry on baggage with these and all is well.

Read your post. Would you ba able to provide contact information on where to obtain these custom hunting knives in Chiang Mai? Much appreciated if you can.

• Like 1

Honestly the folk aren't being helpful, if its legal back home as a gardening tool you are fine.

This is a joke and the folks are right to say as they please.

If people can learn the basics of contacting the proper authorities instead of trying to weasel someone else doing it for them, then whatever comments fly at them are justified.

Next we will hear some dingleberry ask the forum... "Should I hold my fork with the left hand or right hand, while eating"

I didn't realise it was a joke query. My bad. Don't spend so much time on forums these days

I'm American and my brother and his girlfriend both collects weapons as a hobby. They are cheap here but I'm not going to the U. S. anytime soon, so I thought it would be a good Christmas present, if it was legal to mail. I'm checking with U. S. customs to see if it's ok or not on that end.

• Like 1

The OP hasn't responded with a destination which gives me the feeling the machetes are heading down Syria way.

Brilliant, that's it, the IS boys have run out of beheading knives and are thinking of exporting them from Thailand. You certainly live up to your TV handle.

• Like 1

I'm American and my brother and his girlfriend both collects weapons as a hobby. They are cheap here but I'm not going to the U. S. anytime soon, so I thought it would be a good Christmas present, if it was legal to mail. I'm checking with U. S. customs to see if it's ok or not on that end.

Considering you can buy an AR 15 or AK 47 at Walmart I can assure you won't have any problems.

Don't know about shipping. But I carried a Samurai Sword in my luggage once, and as it passed through the x-ray machine I could see it, but nobody said anything.

I don't think you would have problems if it is carefully wrapped and marked as Garden Tool or Souvenir.