Boxed Wine

ouredd

What would you expect from "wine" that comes in "3 different types, lime, peach and rose"? It is not made from grapes, and is probably alcohol fortified fruit juice (minimal) and artificial flavors. My guess is that Spy is far better. I haven't tried it and won't. I am not sure what your definition of "crap" is, but I expect that this stuff fits in it or comes very close. I hope that you are not surprised. You were no doubt considering peach?

".... boxed wine ..... that comes in 3 different types,lime,peach and rose."

I dont need to taste it to know that it must be absolutely disgusting.

Oh dear, wine snobbery alive and kicking !!!

Not at all. I have nothing in principle against bag-in-box wines and have drunk some very good ones in various parts of the world. It's the three flavours that bother me, especially as none of the three is grape.

And especially as the wines being talked about in your link were generally very different to most boxed wines available in Thailand. None were fruit wines for example so as KK says (or I will say it for him thumbsup.gif ) I fail to see where snobbery comes in at all........

Most (if not all) of the boxed wines in Thailand are fruit wines. Different taxes apply and that's why they are so cheap.

The box as such is actually the best packaging for wines, unfortunately they don't box up the best wines..

• Like 2

Most (if not all) of the boxed wines in Thailand are fruit wines. Different taxes apply and that's why they are so cheap.

The box as such is actually the best packaging for wines, unfortunately they don't box up the best wines..

You are so right. When you pay about AUD$30 for a Four Litre Box of almost drinkable "Red Ned" at Rimping or Makro, you start considering the advantages of going "Tea Total."

If only the Thai Government would come to terms with the fact that by reducing the Excise on Wine, a whole lot more would be sold and they'd collect heaps more Duty as a result. Still restrict the hours of sale, there is nothing wrong with that, in fact it seems a good thing but stop Price -Gouging on those Thais and Farang who enjoy a good drop.

• Like 1

You are so right. When you pay about AUD$30 for a Four Litre Box of almost drinkable "Red Ned" at Rimping or Makro, you start considering the advantages of going "Tea Total."

If only the Thai Government would come to terms with the fact that by reducing the Excise on Wine, a whole lot more would be sold and they'd collect heaps more Duty as a result. Still restrict the hours of sale, there is nothing wrong with that, in fact it seems a good thing but stop Price -Gouging on those Thais and Farang who enjoy a good drop.

Revenue collection is a secondary purpose of the exorbitant taxes on imported wine. The primary purpose is protection of the domestic beer (and wine (using the term extremely loosely)) industry, much like the taxes imposed on imported cars and motorcycles. But, in the latter case there are some good locally made alternatives. They really don't want you to buy imported wine, and the taxes are set high enough to have that effect.

And I think that the statement that "most (if not all) of the boxed wines in Thailand are fruit wines. Different taxes apply and that's why they are so cheap." is not correct. Most of the boxed wines sold in Thailand are in fact "wines", i.e., fermented grape juice (which by the way is a fruit), and they are not very much cheaper than bottled wines of similar quality (a 5l box of Mont Claire is about B1000, and a .75l bottle of the same wine is about B200, so you get 1.25l more for the same price in the box; I am guessing that packaging and shipping costs of paper vs. glass and larger volumes make up that difference, not tax). What is cheaper is non-fermented fruit juice and artificial flavors with alcohol added to it, which can be produced locally.

Mont Claire is fruit wine. It's written on the box.

Taxes apply to imported and locally produced wines alike. That's why locally produced grape wines are also relatively expensive.

The time restrictions are ridiculous. If I go shopping in the afternoon for dinner, I cannot buy the wine. Good to know that there is a delivery service ;-)

Revenue collection is a secondary purpose of the exorbitant taxes on imported wine. The primary purpose is protection of the domestic beer (and wine (using the term extremely loosely)) industry, much like the taxes imposed on imported cars and motorcycles. But, in the latter case there are some good locally made alternatives. They really don't want you to buy imported wine, and the taxes are set high enough to have that effect.

And I think that the statement that "most (if not all) of the boxed wines in Thailand are fruit wines. Different taxes apply and that's why they are so cheap." is not correct. Most of the boxed wines sold in Thailand are in fact "wines", i.e., fermented grape juice (which by the way is a fruit), and they are not very much cheaper than bottled wines of similar quality (a 5l box of Mont Claire is about B1000, and a .75l bottle of the same wine is about B200, so you get 1.25l more for the same price in the box; I am guessing that packaging and shipping costs of paper vs. glass and larger volumes make up that difference, not tax). What is cheaper is non-fermented fruit juice and artificial flavors with alcohol added to it, which can be produced locally.

Unfortunately "most" of the box wines sold in Thailand are labelled (or should be) "Fruit Wine", because they include fruit in the mix. I and a few others have done this to death on the thread entitled "Montclair" and much information is on that thread.

However for the record, and as far as I can remember, the following boxed wines have fruit juice added to the mix, whether they advertise it clearly or not: – Montclair, Cedar Creek, Castle Creek, Bodegas Valley, Peter Vella, Mar Y Sol, Jimberroo and a few others, whose names escape me right now.

On top of that there are other bottled varieties of the above, all containing some fruit juice, and some newcomers on the scene brought in directly from Australia, which are also laced with fruit juice (see the other thread for the names), and if you add to that the offer from the Wine Connection called, "Jump Yards", you will see that this practice of adding fruit juice to grape wine has now become almost an epidemic here.

No problem if you like it and if you know exactly what you're drinking, however if you would prefer to drink wine made from grapes, then this isn't probably for you.

For the record I have tasted a few of them, and if chilled with some spicy food or similar, then I don't have too much of a problem with them, although I prefer the better wines from Australia, Italy, Chile and France and occasionally the USA.

Agree that the box and the bladder inside are the best packaging for these types of wines because they are meant for immediate drinking, however one would not use them for the better wines, because after a while air permeates these bladders, thereby spoiling the wine.

With better wines, many folk want to keep them for a few years, so the bottle and cork or Stelvin closure still remains the best "packaging" for wines which want/need to be kept for a few years.

True, the bladder is not for high end wines. But it's good for much better qualities than what's on offer around here.

I remember in my student days buying quite decent French wines (AOC) in boxes.

• Like 1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/2013/02/18/the-best-in-boxed-wines-thinking-inside-the-box/

You did note, its not the box but the peach, lime and rose that might be the disgusting bit.

True, the bladder is not for high end wines. But it's good for much better qualities than what's on offer around here.

I remember in my student days buying quite decent French wines (AOC) in boxes.

Stowells of Chelsea launched the first wine box in the UK in 1981 and became the UKs no1 wine brand - http://www.stowellsofchelsea.co.uk/ . This was before the Oz/new world wine revolution in UK wine drinking.

I am not sure if it was theirs but I remember buying a very passable 3L New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc in the 90s for parties.

I think Thailand has wrecked my taste buds. I've been drinking the Peter Vella fruit wines for a while. I quite like the rich red and the smooth red, but I get bored with them after a few weeks. So I bought a bottle of Aussie Wolf Blass Eaglehawk Merlot, have some nice tasty real wine for a change I thought, and it was a real disappointment, it tasted very bland after the fruit wines.

Had a bottle of Del Rios Vineyard Victoria Chardonnay last night. when we finished the bottle we has a drop of Mont Claire which in our opinion was far superior.

Got the box from Makro. It is all about how old it is. The younger the better. Current stock boxed 04July 14

Had a bottle of Del Rios Vineyard Victoria Chardonnay last night. when we finished the bottle we has a drop of Mont Claire which in our opinion was far superior.

Got the box from Makro. It is all about how old it is. The younger the better. Current stock boxed 04July 14

Ah! July 2014 a classic month for Chateau Le Cardboarde Mont Claire.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

Not at all. I have nothing in principle against bag-in-box wines and have drunk some very good ones in various parts of the world. It's the three flavours that bother me, especially as none of the three is grape.

In which case, "boxed wine" could have been left off your quote as you were objecting to the flavours...

I would then have whole-heartedly agreed with you.

In which case, "boxed wine" could have been left off your quote as you were objecting to the flavours...

No, because I was not objecting to the flavours. I quite like lime and peach (not so keen on rose) in the right place. I was not objecting to the bag-in-box wine either.

I was objecting to "boxed wine that comes in three flavours, none of which are grape" and I thought I made this very clear.

• Like 1

Ah! July 2014 a classic month for Chateau Le Cardboarde Mont Claire.

The April vintage was something special but I understand that they haven't declared in many months now.

We shall see if the January frosts can deliver a superior drop

• Like 2