Free anti-retrovirals for all with HIV

Lite Beer

Deputy Public Health Minister Somsak Chunharas said that anti-retroviral drugs only reached about 54 per cent of all HIV-positive people in Thailand.

Looking to correct the last government's shortcoming that affects nearly half of hundreds of thousands of Thais and their families and friends and help delay untold thousands of deaths.

Stats:

Thailand HIV cases total : 1,148,117 total (to 2009), currently 460,000 living (2013)

Deaths: 666,347 (to 2009)

• Like 1

introducing laws and heavy fines for those that discriminate might go a long way to helping the situation

and another key point to this subject as recognised by the WHO that effective treatment reduces the risk of an infected person passing on the disease to a practical zero - the only risk is unknown treatment failure

Very nice to see Thailand taking the lead

• Like 2

Deputy Public Health Minister Somsak Chunharas said that anti-retroviral drugs only reached about 54 per cent of all HIV-positive people in Thailand.

Looking to correct the last government's shortcoming that affects nearly half of hundreds of thousands of Thais and their families and friends and help delay untold thousands of deaths.

Stats:

Thailand HIV cases total : 1,148,117 total (to 2009), currently 460,000 living (2013)

Deaths: 666,347 (to 2009)

The stat you have not included and is generally estimated greater than the 460,000 you quoted are those that are the most dangerous to others and the primary cause for the spread of the disease - infected but undiagnosed and therefor untreated

which is why I am an advocate of compulsory testing and treatment

• Like 1

OUTSTANDING! Kudos to all involved. Thais do many things better than the West, and this is one of them.

As frustrating and confusing as Thailand often can be, it is a good place (because there are many, many good Thais here).

wub.png

Actually, in Australia HIV medication is already free and doctors can choose from a variety of types so that the most effective is administered. In Thailand, I don't know if patients get a choice.

• Like 1

OUTSTANDING! Kudos to all involved. Thais do many things better than the West, and this is one of them.

As frustrating and confusing as Thailand often can be, it is a good place (because there are many, many good Thais here).

wub.png

Actually, in Australia HIV medication is already free and doctors can choose from a variety of types so that the most effective is administered. In Thailand, I don't know if patients get a choice.

Patients don't usually choose anyway. Doctors do, and they choose Stocrin and Truvada.

This is a moving topic.

wub.png

Patients don't usually choose anyway. Doctors do, and they choose Stocrin and Truvada.

This is a moving topic.

I am lead to understand thats a pretty old combo.. Tho possibly what is being given free due to the indian generics..

Atripla being the current first line favorite..

Seeing them cooking open in the dirt near the street without protection against flies... I wouldn't eat it, with or without HIV.

I would worry for Salmonella and diarrhea but not for HIV.....

Seeing them cooking open in the dirt near the street without protection against flies... I wouldn't eat it, with or without HIV.

What the hell are you talking about?.......it's the same as that goes on in every street across the nation.

No salmonella, no diarrhoea.

• Like 1

At the Red Cross the HIV medicine is not free, however it is available at a very low cost. The branded one Atripla is 2,650.00 baht for a 30 day supply. The generic one from India known as Teevir is 1,090.00 baht. Anyone can go there to purchase these, Thai or foreigner it makes no difference as they do not discriminate.

The Thai Red Cross Anonymous Clinic
104 Ratchadamri Road, Pathumwan,
Bangkok 10330
Tel: 0 2 256 4107 - 09
Fax: 0 2 254 7577

E-mail: [email protected]

Edited by coppywriter

Well giving free medication is one thing but really does not solve the core problem. Thailand and not only Thailand is lacking of propper education regarding HIV and STD. Really there is a need for this and a lot more effort needs to be put into that to prevent from more infections with either HIV and STD which both are a big issue in SEA. Most people have no clue about all the deseases and consequences.

Actually can someone tell me whether there is a AIDS foundation that offers such educational service for gay people, where they can go for inform themselves etc.?

Edited by OKF

Meechai the condom king, and cabbages and condoms guy.. (and not-so-secret but invisible to the police abortion clinic right next to C&C).. Also operates a charity that does education etc..

I think you can find his charity details from a C&C search.

Well giving free medication is one thing but really does not solve the core problem. Thailand and not only Thailand is lacking of propper education regarding HIV and STD. Really there is a need for this and a lot more effort needs to be put into that to prevent from more infections with either HIV and STD which both are a big issue in SEA. Most people have no clue about all the deseases and consequences.

Actually can someone tell me whether there is a AIDS foundation that offers such educational service for gay people, where they can go for inform themselves etc.?

There are many different websites that you can start with.

http://www.thebody.com/

http://www.tht.org.uk/

or just google HIV and search from there.

Or maybe this can help you

http://www.aidsmap.com/

What the hell are you talking about?.......it's the same as that goes on in every street across the nation.

No salmonella, no diarrhoea.

No Diarrhea??? From 15 staff, there is one per month that get food poisoning, so he/she needs doctor.

In Europe that is maybe 1 out of 100 per year.

(Deleted quote edited out)

I finished University 2000 with a masterdegree of biotechnology and there was no debate anymore if HIV is the cause of AIDS.

There are basically 2 different tests for HIV: One checks if you have anti-bodies against the virus. That test is cheap and fast, but sometimes negative if it should be positive.

The other is PCR. That searches direct for the RNA (the virus uses RNA instead of DNA) of the virus in the blood. That is slow, expensive but exactly.

The virus is damaging the immune system. So you don't die from the HIV, but from other diseases.

The reason why there is no vaccine for HIV is the ever changing surface of it. As it uses RNA it has a very bad error correction and there all the time new modifications from it.

Already 2000 there was a cure for it. It cured infected cells. But this antibody mix could not be produced in mass (mass= not even enough for 1 person) and the complete project was terminated in the anti gene hysteria. But now some companies try this approach again.

HIV=cause of AIDS. Maybe not of 100% but of 99.9%

Edited by Scott

wub.png

Ummm... no it's not free in Australia, it's on the PBS $36.90 or $6.00 concession (may have increased due to Abbott), some organisations may provide free medicine or help you pay for it. HIV drugs cost between $500 and $1800 per month per drug, it easily costs over $2000 per month for HIV drugs. Many other new drugs can cost of $2000 per month - pharmaceuticals are VERY expensive.

The therapy is called "combination therapy" a patient is on a combination of drugs and the combination ins't changed unless there are server side effects of the combination isn't keeping the viral load 'under control'. Many HIV positive patients have a viral load of "undetectable", all this means is that their viral load is VERY small and extremely expensive teats are required to get an accurate result. The doctor has to be approved to write scripts for the drugs (s100) and the Federal Government (PBS) has to give approval for the script to be written, they can't be filled at a 'normal' chemist.

"HIV infection can drop so low that they will not spread the disease further"

That is such a DANGEROUS and UNTRUE statement. The is NO cure for HIV and the is ALWAYS the possibility of a HIV positive person infecting someone, their 'combination' may not be suppressing the disease as it has in the past, of the patient could have been infected with a different strain of HIV, there are so many other reasons. If this is the official Thai line HIV infections will continue to rise.

wub.png

This is a moving topic.

I am lead to understand thats a pretty old combo.. Tho possibly what is being given free due to the indian generics..

Atripla being the current first line favorite..

Truvada is available generic.

Stocrin is not.

The three drugs, emtricitabine and tenofovir (Truvada) and sustiva (Stocrin) in one-pill-once-a-day form is called Atripla.

Edited by BudRight