Heat insulating your car.

Danhig

I noticed that they have heat insulation mats (foam mats with the silver reflective covering on one side). About 500b for one or two meters squared I think.

Has anyone ever done it?

I presume it would just be a case of removing the ceiling of the car, which presumably is just held on with fasteners etc. Then laying it in. Perhaps the door panels too?

Any experiences with it or doing it?

No, usually I'm tearing it out instead of installing it but I certainly wouldn't be putting where it can get wet for obvious reasons. Depends on what kind of headliner you have as to how difficult it is to take out but none of them are really as easy you seem to think? Lights, handles, hangers, and maybe even a sunroof depending? They are really light and delicate and are as large as the inside of the car making them difficult to get out without damaging them, they also have a concave design to hold them in place without sagging and that too makes them quite difficult to get out without damaging them as most, if not all of the trim needs to be removed as it also holds it in. If I were you, instead of asking here, I'd search your particular vehicle on the net, many helpful (and some not so much) YOUTube vids on many projects and according to most here any advice you get won't be valid anyway unless it's posted on the net somewhere?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Many of the roof panels are form fitted already with some insulation properties...there probably isn't enough space in between...maybe enough for alum foil....but if you've never tried to remove and reinstall a headliner (in one piece) it can be a real trying/defeating experience....

• Like 2

Just an odd thought wink.png

How about squirting expanding foam into the roof space?

You can get access by temporally removing the roof lights and sun visor fittings and anything else that will let you in.

Would probably make the car a bit quieter as well.

Let us know how you get on w00t.gif

post-35075-0-67650000-1412508663_thumb.j

smile.png

Have you seen how much expanding foam costs here i'd stick wink.png with 500 baht mats and yes have done it but to cut down tinnyness roof /doors/rear qtrs (2door car) worked and the air con was good but can't remember what it was like beforeunsure.png .

• Like 1

You can get access by temporally removing the roof lights and sun visor fittings and anything else that will let you in.

attachicon.gifpolycell_expanding_foam_polyfilla.jpg

smile.png

Just don't put it inside the doorscrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Okay, so not easy.

I would have presumed that for doing the roof it's just a case of unpinning the fabric ceiling, putting the insulating mat on it, then pinning it back in.

You'd presume incorrectly but have at it..

attachicon.gifpolycell_expanding_foam_polyfilla.jpg

smile.png

A simple roof liner will not stand up to the expansion of that foam and it will crack it, pop it out, and at the very least be all clumpy, bumpy, uneven and a massive mess. There's no way of gauging how much you get in any one area so it's not going to be even or uniform... OP Bad idea IMO.. And no room for error once you've tried it, it doesn't work you're screwed.

Am i missing something here OP.

What is the point of heat insulating your car when you just turn the A/C on to

cool the interior?

I refuse to use the aircon in order to save money.

I have hooked up a fan system that works off the wheels. Heat insulation would help.

cool the interior?

I have hooked up a fan system that works off the wheels. Heat insulation would help.

cheesy.gif

• Like 2

cool the interior?

blink.png ....

• Like 1

I have hooked up a fan system that works off the wheels.

Oh wow, I've just got to see that. Pics?

It's just a series of elastic bands and 7-11 stamps molded into blades.

Why don't you use playing cards....doesn't seem like you have a full deck anyway.....

• Like 2

I have hooked up a fan system that works off the wheels.

Oh wow, I've just got to see that. Pics?

It's just a series of elastic bands and 7-11 stamps molded into blades.

Why don't you use playing cards....doesn't seem like you have a full deck anyway.....

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

OK cool, I now see you're a real innovator. So here's the solution to your insulation problem: Just cut some branches off the nearest tree, and tie them to your roof - pretty hard to beat shade from a tree!

That's ridiculous, the leaves would drop off the dead branches leaving the roof exposed to the sun again.

Much better, and more aesthetically pleasing is simply, using wallpaper paste (superglue is too permanent), cover the car with aluminium foil, shiny side out, and all the heat from the sun will be reflected away to other nearby vehicles.

An alternative is to drill a 2 1/2 inch hole through the centre of the roof and drop in one of the large umbrellas normally sported by motorbike sidecar vendors. This way the roof isn't damaged at all by the effects of the wallpaper paste mentioned in my previous suggestion.

Edited by Sviss Geez
  • Like 1

OK cool, I now see you're a real innovator. So here's the solution to your insulation problem: Just cut some branches off the nearest tree, and tie them to your roof - pretty hard to beat shade from a tree!

That's ridiculous, the leaves would drop off the dead branches leaving the roof exposed to the sun again.

Much better, and more aesthetically pleasing is simply, using wallpaper paste (superglue is too permanent), cover the car with aluminium foil, shiny side out, and all the heat from the sun will be reflected away to other nearby vehicles.

An alternative is to drill a 2 1/2 inch hole through the centre of the roof and drop in one of the large umbrellas normally sported by motorbike sidecar vendors. This way the roof isn't damaged at all by the effects of the wallpaper paste mentioned in my previous suggestion.

I admit I wasn't very specific about the tree, and concede some varieties will lose substantial foliage at highway speeds. Those palms down at the beach seem to do pretty well during typhoons though..