Police chief urges officers to make people have faith in police again

Lite Beer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a cop in the family. Senior Sergeant Major. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and totally corrupt to the core.

That rank seems to be the sweet spot for police corruption and criminality. The old soakers who have been in the force for 20 years but too dumb or lazy to pass the officer exams. Know all the dirty tricks. More often than not when you read about a cop being arrested for murder drug dealing etc it's going to be a Pol Snr Sgt Major. They are also the ones trusted by the senior officers to do the enforcement and dirty work of the big police syndicates.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

April 1st again . . . he's funny! :)

Not sure about "faith", but "trust" is earned (after consistently proving the lack of it for decades previously) . . . so they've got a LONG way to go before asking for "faith" I think . . . actions speak louder than words . . .

Why would it be the responsibility of police officers to 'URGE' people to have faith in the police force?

Do any of these guys at the top have any psychological training?

Sorry, my own rhetoric just destroyed my own question. :(

Give us the real murderers of the Kho Tao killings and then I will try my best to have faith in the Thai police.

You took the words right out of my mouth....How can anyone have faith in the police with whats going on in Koh Tao

• Like 1

Pol.Gen. Somyot Phumphanmuang has delivered his policy to high-ranking police officers, urging them to quickly create love

Dear police force,

Try to be more friendly when you scam people and give them a hug, they will love you for it.

Should you still meet unhappy people, arrest them immediately for treason as unhappiness

undermines the image of Thailand and is critical towards the happy owners of the government.

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 2

… urging them to quickly create love among the people ….

Apparently there is a contest going between top officials:

Who can so the most ridiculous thing and get people to believe it.

What, are they supposed to hand out flowers?

'

Flowers? Sorry, can't eat them, can't drink them, can't <####> them..

free internet and coffee beer in every police station always does the trick cheesy.gif

Edited by JoeLing

I don't have many real Thai friends as I cannot speak the language well enough to become close. However one of my true Thai friends is a retired high ranking police officer. I have known him for many years and he is quite honest with me about how he progressed in the RTP. He admits that the Force is rotten to the core.

When law enforcement is not paid a decent living wage, they will be open to bribes and corruption.

Train them and pay them well if you want any improvement.

You get what you pay for.

Until them, bribes, beating those who refuse to give false testimony and other shenanigans will continue.

The recent investigation of the murder of the tourists is not the way to gain the faith of anyone who has their eyes open.

This.

Pay the police a starting salary of around 30k per month and give them proper training. Tell them that now and again, they will be secretly and randomly tested (ie guys trying to curry their favor for cash or a 'colleague' secretly filming them when they do traffic work).

If they are found to be asking for or taking bribes they will;

a: lose their job

b: spend 6 months in a Thai prison

It would clear up the problems overnight.

Edited by Fatty123
  • Like 2

When law enforcement is not paid a decent living wage, they will be open to bribes and corruption.

Until them, bribes, beating those who refuse to give false testimony and other shenanigans will continue.

The recent investigation of the murder of the tourists is not the way to gain the faith of anyone who has their eyes open.

So you think that it is because they have too low salary they steel,extort and so on!? From what I heard,the higher up they are,with higher salary,the more corrupt they are! The illgotten money is transfered upwards,meaning what I just said. It is very naiv to think,that better salary would stop them from their illigal activities,"much wants more".

So you think that it is because they have too low salary they steel,extort and so on!? From what I heard,the higher up they are,with higher salary,the more corrupt they are! The illgotten money is transfered upwards,meaning what I just said. It is very naiv to think,that better salary would stop them from their illigal activities,"much wants more".

It's not a question of taking a little or a big bribe.

Either they are corrupt or they're not but there is no such thing like less or more corrupt.

"Pol.Gen. Somyot also called on the police officials to make sure that their subordinates live dignified and honorable lives by making plans aimed at concretely improving their quality of life."

How about better training and a decent standard of living salary?

Couldn't do any harm to try it.

Better pay would help, but the training required to become a police officer is actually much more extensive than in the west. The problem from top to bottom is that Thai police do not see themselves as public servants here to protect and serve the public, but rather as entrepreneurs able to make money with their position. Justice is only available to who can pay the most. The public hates them yet when there 900 positions become open, they get 90,000 applicants. If you do not find ways to make money abusing your power, you are shunned by your family and colleagues. It is systemic and will take generations,with an "s", to change.

Thanks for your post. I agree with you with the exception of BIB's pay. I believe they make a salary commensurate of their education/efforts etc. As is typical entry level positions are rarely extraordinary, both here and elsewhere. Do you know or does anyone know the real salary amounts for Thai police? I am lead to believe they start out at or near the rate of a Thai teacher.

Thanks again for your post.

• Like 1

Are the police fired or at least disciplined when they accept bribes? No? Do they maybe go out of their way to target certain expat groups rather than Thais for certain crimes to save face? Are they discouraged from doing this? No? Unless and until corruption can be actually fought against rather than strongly encouraged you will have no trust on the part of the people.

Take a group of professional Thais and have them 'commit crime' (staged and not real crimes please) and then let them attempt to bribe the police. If the police accept arrest the police officer and have him lose his job. Doing this just a few times will send an immediate message. Have traffic offenses require the suspect to pay at the station not into the officers pocket directly. Remove the incentives currently in place for bribery and replace them with stiff penalties.

Hi,

Would you give us the information re: salary paid to BIB? What is the starting salary and increases per position/year "on the job"?

Thanks