How to eat more healthy with only a microwave and kettle?

JThai

There's lots of info above, but to try and respond directly to your questions and limitations:

First, if you already know how to cook on a traditional cooker/stovetop, the induction cooker is really great. See below.

- Microwave: it's tricky to cook something properly. No way to get a browned finish; tends to dry things out in a weird way or burn if you aren't careful. To optimize it, buy a microwave cookbook and follow directions carefully. Most of your non-metallic utensils will work. Lots can be done with tasty homemade sauces you can get in the fresh market, or some nice olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, etc.

NB: there is also talk "out there" that the microwave alters molecular structure of food, and thus is unhealthy over the long term. I only use it to heat water.

- Induction cooker: A miracle of modern technology --- I will never be without one again. The only trick, as others have said, is you must have ferrous (iron-based) pans. This is because the cooker heats the pan with a magnetic field. There is no heat transfer from the cooker, so it never gets hot (great for the Thai climate). Unlike the microwave, the outcome is almost exactly like traditional heat: the pan gets hot and you have that to work with. Thus, regular cooking of everything is possible, except that you boil a pot of water for pasta in 1 minute instead of 15 --- like I said, a miracle.

So, for fresh meat or veg, it's great. A quick sauté of cut up chicken, veg, sauce and rice from the market, and you're set. Much better than microwave for someone who can cook a bit. Use the micro to supplement. The cookers are widely available at hypermarkets, HomePro, etc.

Bon appétit!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

............ quick curry or a soup made using mushroom seasoning powder (No MSG is easily available)......................

where would I find the powder ?

any idea what it is called in Thai ?

and speaking of that where do you buy Thai green curry powder in something larger than the 20 baht packets ?

Thanks

I live in Chang Mai. The seasoning I get at a small local Tesco - Fa Thai brand, yellow package, "no MSG" top left corner, also in ingredients - no preservatives, no coloring. A large grocery store like Tops, Tesco, Big C, will give you many options incl bakery. I buy my veggies at a local Farmer's market. The small Tesco is surprisingly well stocked with simple basics even brown rice. A bit larger than 7-11. I make my own jam by blending fruit with ginger and raw sugar a bit of lime juice, simmer briefly and add agar agar (a seaweed extract also at Tesco in small packets) to geletanize it. Yogurt is easy, in this warm climate all you have to do is leave it out overnight. Only catch is getting the milk to the right temp before adding yogurt. I bought a small thermometer but it was pricey. Microwaved baked potato is classic easy food. Split open , add those pre-made diced vegies with oil or mayo and you're good to go. Sour cream is expensive. Pre-Puncture with fork as potato will explode. For all these recipes just google...Creative cooking is a skill you'll always have when on your own...worth the effort to learn...esp if you want to know what you're eating...

Oh, I get my curry fresh at a vegetarian restaurant, local cafeteria style, lunch only. They sell a lot of veggie items on the side. Pretty common thing..

Edited by arend

Microwave and healthy in the same sentence? Rice cooker was good suggestion. Induction cooker is ok also, but can possibly use a lot of electric @ 2k-4k watts. You can get a small gas bottle for 1-2000 baht and a decent wok for 200-400 baht.

With the gas bottle, you can do anything you want: steam, fry, boil, etc

Once again, it's worth pointing out that a small gas bottle is a no-go for someone living in an enclosed room, high rise rental, even on the balcony. They're great if you are living in a house and have a "real" outdoor area for cooking.

a NANCYL

Finalement, je me suis ennuyé et a décidé d'ajouter un pot de sukiyaki - sorte de poêle à frire électrique, ne plus profonde. Il dispose d'un contrôle de la température,

what is this this electric skillet ????? thank you

post-68373-0-94637200-1412770682_thumb.j

un NancyL Finalement, je me suis Ennuyé et un Décidé d'€ ajouter non pot de sukiyaki - Sorte de poêle à frire électrique, nec plus profonde. Il disposer d'ONU Contrôle de la température, ce qui est ce ce poêle électrique ????? Merci

Thank you very much. It seems to me intéréssant. I think I have ever seen.
But I will look tomorrow at Tesco, Home Pro or appliance store.

Microwave and healthy in the same sentence? Rice cooker was good suggestion. Induction cooker is ok also, but can possibly use a lot of electric @ 2k-4k watts. You can get a small gas bottle for 1-2000 baht and a decent wok for 200-400 baht.

Once again, it's worth pointing out that a small gas bottle is a no-go for someone living in an enclosed room, high rise rental, even on the balcony. They're great if you are living in a house and have a "real" outdoor area for cooking.
An enclosed room I understand. But what's wrong with a balcony or opened area?

We used the electric skillet all the time indoors. But gas is cheaper, and you can use any cooking pan you want.

Edited by 4evermaat

why? As long as I know they are used there without problems, and I used it back in Europe.

Get out for a walk three times a day, get some exercise and eat at the local supermarket or street vendors.

It is about healthy food

And there are not fruits, vegetables, chicken and fish at the supermarkets or street vendors?

yes dirty one...pesticides in the green things are often reported.

Someone living near a chicken farm reported how street vendors buy chicken that died and were crocodile food.

I saw myself a street vendor spraying pork with insect spray against the flies.....

Usually everything there is cooked with far too much MSG and sugar + white rice.

OK it won't kill you, but often it is not healthy.....

MSG is mainly in soups, fried foods, and sauces; boiled veggies and grilled chicken and fish are not always cooked with MSG or sugar and neither is white rice, but if they were, simply ask them not to cook with MSG.

It is about healthy food

And there are not fruits, vegetables, chicken and fish at the supermarkets or street vendors?

yes dirty one...pesticides in the green things are often reported.

Someone living near a chicken farm reported how street vendors buy chicken that died and were crocodile food.

I saw myself a street vendor spraying pork with insect spray against the flies.....

Usually everything there is cooked with far too much MSG and sugar + white rice.

OK it won't kill you, but often it is not healthy.....

MSG is mainly in soups, fried foods, and sauces; boiled veggies and grilled chicken and fish are not always cooked with MSG or sugar and neither is white rice, but if they were, simply ask them not to cook with MSG.

Well when you exclude: soups, fried food, sauces, chicken and white rice there isn't much left. Fish was often a topic of being old and treated with chemicals. veggies with pesticides.

Surely there are plenty of healthy honest clean vendors, but how would you know which?

LPG is heavier than air If there is a leak the gas can flow onto the floor of the balcony and thence into the room creating a situation where there is a gas air mixture set for an explosion if there is any spark.

Normal piped gas is not heavier than air so is more likely to be dispersed so it is still not safe just safer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Water in BKK is NOT safe for many reasons. You won't see the locals drinking it. Rinse fruits and veg with bottled water. Steam just about any meat or veg in a rice cooker. 7/11 Food IS NOT healthy!

Actually it is safe to drink and has been so for decades - the US Embassy, as far back as about 1980, medical section compared tap water there and bottled water and the tap was was far better. This has become much more common as old pipes have been replaced in most of city - the water qualify for Bangkok is reported live on the web - and Thai do drink - but most prefer to use filters to remove tastes such as chlorine (just as many do all over the world).

. http://wqconline.mwa.co.th/wqc/OverviewMap.aspx?uiculture=en-US