Thai PM: I am the one to be held responsible if reforms fail

webfact

"Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha announced that he would be the only person who would be held responsible if the attempts at national reform have failed"

-snip-

Well then, I'd like to see him get right down to Koh Tao and grab some officials by the throat and force transparency and assure a lack of corruption. He promised to get rid of corruption. Start there.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

-snip-

...are progressing rolleyes.gif

Does this have anything to do with the old saying: "The beatings will continue until moral improves?" laugh.png

'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'?

The Australian Government does not recognise the Thai military leadership and has Banned all members from entering Australia and Immediate Arrest of any Family member or they themselves if found to have landed on Australian soil, and immediate deportation.

It in no way recognises The Junta as having any legal right to enforce laws on its citizens.

And any arrests for offences such as being critical of them, will result in further measures.

Such as jail terms for any junta caught at a later date.

The BIB will be his biggest challenge , a criminal organisation that has corruption , extortion and extra judicial killings as a reoccurring theme. If Prayuth can clean that up, then he deserves a lot if credit, the problem is that it is so entrenched in so much it's going to be a huge task.

Koh Tao is still an opportunity to start something, if he's serious

“Why negotiate with them because they, as the people of this country, must obey the law."

Good, but how about starting off by actually enforcing the law?

He has been much more on the program of enforcing the laws than anyone else in That position for decades for sure & likely longer.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What changes are happening and what is the progress ? What is the Junta doing ?

Saving your butt. You can now walk down the street with out having to worry about some semi intelligent red shirted goon trying to shoot you.wai.gif

When I see the word 'reform' in this context, I read it as 'stacking the deck.'

Yes and it is your favor now. Good to have a leader instead of a airhead puppet isn't it.thumbsup.gif

PM Prayuth...you are doing exactly what is needed to straighten out the mess...keep going !

Dont lift the Martial Law, discipline is whats needed to succeed in any task....You are succeeding.

Thank you for what you have done so far

Yes he is doing what needs doing. Seems like there is a lot of posters who are unaware of the changes he has made. Such as out with corrupt Police leaders and in with some willing to clean up the country. Getting rid of the illegal foreigners paying off the farmers and on it goes.wai.gif

I don't want the deck stacked in my favour. I am not that selfish. That is where you and I differ.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Saving your butt. You can now walk down the street with out having to worry about some semi intelligent red shirted goon trying to shoot you.wai.gif

Yes and it is your favor now. Good to have a leader instead of a airhead puppet isn't it.thumbsup.gif

PM Prayuth...you are doing exactly what is needed to straighten out the mess...keep going !

Dont lift the Martial Law, discipline is whats needed to succeed in any task....You are succeeding.

Yes he is doing what needs doing. Seems like there is a lot of posters who are unaware of the changes he has made. Such as out with corrupt Police leaders and in with some willing to clean up the country. Getting rid of the illegal foreigners paying off the farmers and on it goes.wai.gif

I don't want the deck stacked in my favour. I am not that selfish. That is where you and I differ.

Who cares what you want.

That is what you are getting.

Are you saying you prefer the mindless killings that were allowed if not openly secretly supported by the previous regime?coffee1.gif

Wow! a Thai politician,willing to take responsibility,if anything goes wrong,

that defiantly has to be a first,keep up the good work Sir, i hope you can

get all the reforms in place,before putting the country back into the hands,

of the former politicians,who only thought of themselves,and ways to enrich,

at cost to Thailand and its people.

regards Worgeordie

It is NOT a politician !

And on your quote "keep up the good work", can you please let us know what work exactly you mean, as so far I did not see any reform.

how much reform did you see under the last PTP government whose PM always pleaded for more time?

I might have missed something, but what exactly do you mean by what he/they have done so far.

Economy in a fast down spiral

Amount of tourist arrivals even faster down

Police scam and corruption nationwide left without any change.......

Please bring some happiness and tell us what the good things are .

You forgot

education reform requiring registered qualified teachers

Um, no can do

reform on land encroachment that is equally enforced

Um, no can do

reform on human trafficking in the fishing industry

Um, no can do.

reform an anything that is substantial and sustained

Um, we'll get back to you later on that, and enjoy the longer New Year.

Were you talking about the previous PTP government there who had over 3 years to do something and certainly talked the talk but as for action, can you please remind me what they achieved on those points you mention?

Who cares what you want.

That is what you are getting.

Are you saying you prefer the mindless killings that were allowed if not openly secretly supported by the previous regime?coffee1.gif

Do you ever get bored with constantly asking rhetorical questions?

"He also warned political elements not to stir up troubles while martial law is still in force, saying that all he has wanted is for the public give him moral support and understand him as he has no intention whatsoever to seek personal gains but to solve the countrys problems."

Does this mean he will have his solder brother investigated and try to find out where he got THB 80 mill. from?

Many high ranking military are offered and take up highly paid directorships on the boards of large companies, an employment that they juggle alongside their regular duty. The present PM himself at one time enjoyed this dual role. As in most countries, it's not what you know it's who you know.

Actually no.Most senior officers on Boards are retired.The practice is also far less than a few decades ago.Also fees for non execs are not huge even in the major listed companies - more that Bt 1 mill pa would be unusual.

No there's no escaping the reality that in many cases the source of poorly paid military officers huge wealth is good old fashioned corruption.Reassuring to know they are the ones in charge of draining the swamp.

WOW.

No wonder PM Prayuth is more popular than all the previous PM's over the part decade.

He sees an error in his ways when commenting on bikinis and actually apologies. What a rare trait that is for a politician Realizing he made a mistake and apologized. Now he is saying he will be held responsible if the reforms fail. He won't even blame the PTP or the red shirts if and when they start there campaign of terror again when martial law is lifted. Wont blame them for throwing blood on the streets or burning effigies or threatening to kidnap people. He will blame himself. How refreshing.

One can be assured the PTP Minister for Denying, Prompong Nopparit will never have a job in this responsible and accountable government.

The root of this reform is respecting the law and holding people accountable for breaking it, both of which never happened and is why the coup happened in the first place. If nothing else it highlighted the need for this reform. I cannot thank the UDD 7% for much, but I can thank them for showing Thailand why reform is needed.

Red shirts are going to sit back and let this regime fail all on their own.

I'd give it 12 months until they run the economy into the ground with their extravagant spending of public funds.

There are only really to questions left unanswered:

1. What day in 2016 does Thaksin arrive home as the nations saviour?

2. How many more Generals will become millionaires during the current short lived reign of this regime?

I agree with generals becoming millionaires, but

it may not be a short-lived regime. Even if someday they transfer power to a civilian government, the generals will still be in control (a la Abhisit, only more so)

I don't believe they will completely mis-manage the economics of the country because the major industrial players are all ultra-royalist backers of the 'NCPO' and will spend a lot to keep things afloat. I don't have the link handy but not too long after the coup, I believe it was the BoT that created a special type of high-risk investment to provide more liquidity and the royalists bought it up - they are actively providing economic support to the current 'government'.

Thaksin home in 2016? His return is not and never was in his own hands. That will be determined later. Saviour? if and when he comes back, he will always have his fans, but he has made obvious missteps with the red shirts in showing his own self-interest and putting that above theirs. Not everyone, I suspect, among the UDD will continue to support him in the future.

"He also warned political elements not to stir up troubles while martial law is still in force, saying that all he has wanted is for the public give him moral support and understand him as he has no intention whatsoever to seek personal gains but to solve the countrys problems."

Does this mean he will have his solder brother investigated and try to find out where he got THB 80 mill. from?

Many high ranking military are offered and take up highly paid directorships on the boards of large companies, an employment that they juggle alongside their regular duty. The present PM himself at one time enjoyed this dual role. As in most countries, it's not what you know it's who you know.

Actually no.Most senior officers on Boards are retired.The practice is also far less than a few decades ago.Also fees for non execs are not huge even in the major listed companies - more that Bt 1 mill pa would be unusual.

No there's no escaping the reality that in many cases the source of poorly paid military officers huge wealth is good old fashioned corruption.Reassuring to know they are the ones in charge of draining the swamp.

You state this as if you have the undeniable proof, rather than just your own assumption.

Now of course it may be possible that for some corruption was the source of income, but for some it might be family wealth. Just like up to about 1848 or so when only English Gentlemen could buy their commission of Officer in H.M.'s armed forces.

How much has the new Thai government committed to (strictly non populist) spending?

365 billion Baht.

That's 1 billion Baht per day for a whole year.

or

3 billion Baht per day since the coup.

It will take an almighty effort to fail in the near term with this sort of cash getting splashed around.

Kind of puts PTP spending into perspective now doesn't it!

You state this as if you have the undeniable proof, rather than just your own assumption.

Now of course it may be possible that for some corruption was the source of income, but for some it might be family wealth. Just like up to about 1848 or so when only English Gentlemen could buy their commission of Officer in H.M.'s armed forces.

My first paragraph is the simple truth based on long experience of Thai corporate life.

The second para does not deny that some officers will be be able to justify their fortunes as a result of independent wealth.But most won't - and you show every appearance of being in denial on this matter.

The British army comments are irrelevant and also mainly wrong.Commissions were certainly purchased but maonly this was s practice in the more fashionable regiments, cavalry and guards etc.

My first paragraph is the simple truth based on long experience of Thai corporate life.

The second para does not deny that some officers will be be able to justify their fortunes as a result of independent wealth.But most won't - and you show every appearance of being in denial on this matter.

The British army comments are irrelevant and also mainly wrong.Commissions were certainly purchased but maonly this was s practice in the more fashionable regiments, cavalry and guards etc.

Excuses jayboy, I though it would be obvious I was referring to the second paragraph only. The first paragraph I accept as is.

As to the second paragraph, you still go on with 'most won't' as if that's obvious, 'everyone knows' and so. That's not the same as being able to prove your ideas. I don't state. I just write "some maybe and other not". If at all denying its your statements only I do (deny)

As for the fascination of being able to command in the army I used the previous English tradition as example that for some generals here it might be a similar tradition. Even the 'fashionable regiments' fits with some members mentioning the "Eastern Tigers' and so.

Anyway, we dwell from the topic which we shouldn't. A PM stating "I'm the one to be held responsible if reforms fail" is newsworthy as it is. Most PMs would be a bit more careful, state something unclear with enough possibilities to either claim to be the reason for success or denounce others for their failure.