High suicide rate of Thai police officers: Hotline 1599 launched to quell problem

webfact

Hotline 1599 launched today to quell problem of high suicide rate of policemen

BANGKOK, 7 October 2014 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Police is launching its 1599 hotline for the prevention of suicides by stressed-out policemen today.

In a bid to solve the problem of the high number of suicides by police officers, National police commissioner Somyot Phumphanmuang is launching a hotline for stressed policemen to call.

The hotline's call center will be staffed by psychologists from the Police General Hospital, who will also consult with other staff drawn from the police force to advise the callers about specific woes frequently faced by policemen.

According to Pol. Gen. Somyot, studies have found several factors that contribute to suicides by policemen, which include financial issues, stress from work, family problems and illness.

He has also told officials in supervisory roles to closely look into the well-being of their subordinates and provide them with moral support.

Pol. Gen. Somyot added that the setting up of the hotline is in response to the increased number of suicides by police officers over the past one year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-07 footer_n.gif

A friend of mine has to do 24 hr shifts. He does one day on, two days off. That can't be good for mental health.

That can't be much good for law and order either, but it does answer the burning question why there are next to no police out and about at night; they are sleeping.

Suicide, however you look at it, is awful.

However - I love the timing of this press release.

Rouse the sympathy of the masses for the Police Force - because - hey! they're only human, too!

Be nice to them!

yes yes....& don't insult them too or else....

A friend of mine has to do 24 hr shifts. He does one day on, two days off. That can't be good for mental health.

That was the system a few years ago on Samui, change-over at 4pm; don't expect to get much done around 3.

Who am I kidding? Don't expect to get much done anytime.

BTW had a phone call early one morning (3am?) that punks were breaking into our shop. On the way, ran into a police patrol, but they couldn't help as they were on patrol (Doh!)

• Like 1

Well to be honest, the work load for these police Constables and NCO's are too high and stressful indeed. They are part of us, and just because the system is corrupt doesn't mean they are not human being. And many are good people I would like to believe.

They need counseling and guidance and rests.

Yes i agree...

It can be very stressful going door to door collecting money and collecting money from drivers without being seen or caught....

I dont recall very many suicides reported the last year.

They should use that money for the hotline to help the people who are too stressed at not having enough to pay the bribe to the BIB.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Is the suicide rate as decribed to the ranks of policeman from the same source of th sherlocks who classfy so many of the farang deaths/mishaps as suicide?

This does seem to be a common cause of death as per official reports, could this be due to requiring only a single page report vs violent, accident, natural, etc deaths, which reqire a gazillion reports/copies, etc.

Edited by slapout
  • Like 1

Ummm.....................what is the rate of suicide?

Compared to other police forces around the world?

Compared to the general population of Thailand?

Or is there some other "hidden agenda" here?

Just asking whistling.gif