High suicide rate of Thai police officers: Hotline 1599 launched to quell problem

webfact

Yeah, it's very stressful when all of a sudden (after decades of money extortion, gambling, corruption, drug dealing, gun pushing) the future promises hard work without the possibilty of illegal sources of income... Can see the stampede of police ex Mia Nois running away from their big spenders who eventually ran dry, what most likely is the reason behind a larger percentage of said suicides. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... wink.png

Edited by catweazle

Ummm.....................what is the rate of suicide?

Compared to other police forces around the world?

Compared to the general population of Thailand?

Or is there some other "hidden agenda" here?

Just asking whistling.gif

Didn't you know, it's time to show sympathy for the police, instead of insulting them by questioning their investigation techniques on Koh Tao.

Predictable lack of sympathy for the Royal Thai Police. Maybe if they published the suicide statistics and some analysis of the suicide motives etc, then we might have more insight. Maybe even more compassion.. but probably we will still see this press release as the crock of ***t it appears to be.

• Like 1

Ummm.....................what is the rate of suicide?

Compared to other police forces around the world?

Compared to the general population of Thailand?

Or is there some other "hidden agenda" here?

Just asking whistling.gif

Didn't you know, it's time to show sympathy for the police, instead of insulting them by questioning their investigation techniques on Koh Tao.

Oooops - I must have overlooked the "investigation techniques". Silly me, will give myself an uppercut!

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Thailand/Crime

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/422390/a-deadly-police-trend

Seems 29 of an estimated(by Wiki!) 110,000 cops commit suicide every year compared to a national average for men and women of 7.8 per 100,000. So, it does seem high. Of course, how many of these 'suicides' are genuine is always a matter of fierce debate. Shot himself 5 times in the head etc.

Interesting to note 365 crimes a year are reported as being committed by Thai Policemen. Looks like they must pick one at random each day of the year. Maybe it's like a lottery.

Has anyone considered it may be the 'honest' cops who are self-harming due to reputations they're getting from the dishonest cops?

I realise that the RTP have got an atrocious reputation but they're not all the same.

During my time in the police (30+ years), there were one or two incidents were the actions of some officers was questioned (this was in a force that had a good reputation). This resulted in every 'cockroach', and in some instances normally law abiding citizens, you had dealings with throwing it in your face, accusing you of being inept, bent, a liar, corrupt etc. All this whilst you're out there, at all hours and in all weathers trying to protect these same people, who most of the time have NO IDEA what you are called on to do and what you have seen (sometime literally minute beforehand).

If the RTP is anything like most other Police Services, they're only just catching up with the idea of Post Traumatic Stress etc. In the not too distant past you were expected to 'Be a Man', 'Suck it up and get on with it'. Due to this 'macho-bullsh1t' outlook, many coppers didn't even tell their wives and families about some of the sights they'd seen and just 'Sucked it up and got on with the job'.

I've been to the funerals of too many GOOD coppers who had no-one to turn to.

Please, don't criticize these officers. You've never been in their boots, otherwise you wouldn't post some of the things you have. WE, and that includes me, have got no clue as to what caused them to do what they did. Whatever it was, they couldn't see any other way. Remember, the vast majority of them would have left behind wives and children................ what did they go through afterwards.

I'm not trying to make excuses, and I'm not trying to be a 'killjoy', as I know that the general pastime of TVF members is to take the p1ss out of everything that happens in Thailand, apart from (quite rightly) any tragedies. There surely can't be a bigger tragedy than someone, anyone feeling the need to take their own life.

Have a nice day.

Has anyone considered it may be the 'honest' cops who are self-harming due to reputations they're getting from the dishonest cops?

I realise that the RTP have got an atrocious reputation but they're not all the same.

During my time in the police (30+ years), there were one or two incidents were the actions of some officers was questioned (this was in a force that had a good reputation). This resulted in every 'cockroach', and in some instances normally law abiding citizens, you had dealings with throwing it in your face, accusing you of being inept, bent, a liar, corrupt etc. All this whilst you're out there, at all hours and in all weathers trying to protect these same people, who most of the time have NO IDEA what you are called on to do and what you have seen (sometime literally minute beforehand).

If the RTP is anything like most other Police Services, they're only just catching up with the idea of Post Traumatic Stress etc. In the not too distant past you were expected to 'Be a Man', 'Suck it up and get on with it'. Due to this 'macho-bullsh1t' outlook, many coppers didn't even tell their wives and families about some of the sights they'd seen and just 'Sucked it up and got on with the job'.

Please, don't criticize these officers. You've never been in their boots, otherwise you wouldn't post some of the things you have. WE, and that includes me, have got no clue as to what caused them to do what they did. Whatever it was, they couldn't see any other way. Remember, the vast majority of them would have left behind wives and children................ what did they go through afterwards.

I'm not trying to make excuses, and I'm not trying to be a 'killjoy', as I know that the general pastime of TVF members is to take the p1ss out of everything that happens in Thailand, apart from (quite rightly) any tragedies. There surely can't be a bigger tragedy than someone, anyone feeling the need to take their own life.

Have a nice day.

Fair enough comments which I respect.

Somehow, the RTP don't seem to have respect from many people from what I can see.

Have a nice day.

Cheques in the post

Yes they might have some financial stress especially the ones who relied on tourists for their tea money, and people without any morals or principles I don’t think guilt counselling will work just have to let them get on with it.

Yes they might have some financial stress especially the ones who relied on tourists for their tea money, and people without any morals or principles I don’t think guilt counselling will work just have to let them get on with it.

Good point . With the tourism slowdown, there must be a lot of financial pressure when trying to pay back the money they borrowed to pay for their position... Hey maybe if police positions were based upon merit instead of being bought, then the department could hire more mentally stable policemen....

The hatred the average Thai has towards the Thai police is astonishing, so this

story will elicit little sympathy from them. :-)

I think this goes with the territory as a story came out last week about a number of police in Toronto that have committed suicide. Many soldiers also meet their end this way as they've said more Canadian soldiers have committed suicide than killed in Afghanistan. Sorry no link.

"...Examining the body – identified as that of a 32-year-old Russian from the Siberian city of Yakutsk – Pol Lt Col Teerasak Boonsang and forensics officers found the victim had deep gashes on both arms and seven stab wounds in the chest.

Police concluded that he committed suicide."

Well, stopping this kind of nonsense might reduce the numbers!

What a number for suicide? Well I guess only in Thailand Just to solve this issue line them up and shoot the lot of them then no more suicides among police, case solved. God I'm starting to think like a Thai.cheesy.gif But the question is Who cares?