Russian fugitive dies in Bangkok Immigration holding cell prior to extradition

webfact

Shitty. This is a terrible story. Those making jokes about it should go drown your pathetic selves.

Most likely will remain unsolved. My initial feeling was he'd been jumped and beaten by thai inmates... Seems the most likely. There's not enough details to hazard a solid guess though.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...the question is....why did they delay the transfer.....???

...overstay...he had money to pay his airfare....that was already mentioned.....

...extradition...why didn't they send him to Bangkok.....???

...and how about legal representation....???..

It's a tragic loss to have a person dying in detention no matter what the story is,

what I'm not happy with is why the police find it in their infinite wisdom to talk

about the 700,000 bribe, for what purpose is that? to show that they're not corrupt?

well, they are.. and beside, judging by the comments here, no one seems to believe

the cops tall yarn about them refusing this bribe....... somehow, I'm sure that there

is more to this story that meet the eye...

Perhaps they did refuse the bribe. Maybe they felt it wasn't enough and that he could cough up more.

...and then he died trying to cough up more

...the question is....why did they delay the transfer.....???

...overstay...he had money to pay his airfare....that was already mentioned.....

...extradition...why didn't they send him to Bangkok.....???

...and how about legal representation....???..

He tried to bribe a policemen. So he is also charged in Thailand for trying to bribe an official. It was mentioned before. So before extradition he has to wait for his case in thailand.

you are not safe anywhere

incorrect actually, you are very safe in thailand unless your an expat criminal lier a fraudster blackmailer cheat thief extortioninist money launderer boiler room operative real estate conman loan shark standover merchant paediphile murderer or run businesses here that are not kosha and offer services to defraud your country man. the police did a great job in taking down the russian and he was the author of his own demise. the pattaya police are professional courteous and always try to assist tourists and expats alike.

Absolutely, they helped me lighten my bank accounts on a regular basis. Last time was for 75000 so I closed the shops and let the 7 Thai staff find other work.

Professional thieves, certainly, but, you are correct, they were always smiling and courteous..

• Like 2

Suspicious. Where is the 700,000?

What nasty, suspicious minds we have: Russian dead, nobody cares.Probably a lot more than ฿700 000.- gone for a walk somewhere. Who cares?

It is an inbuilt defence mechanism.

Not that I'm suspicious but - where's the 700,000? Held for safe-keeping?

What 700,000B? Maybe you mean the 700k that was offered as a bribe and refused by the police. The 700k that the police don't have because they wouldn't accept the bribe.

And maybe kept as evidence? Remember they said they would charge him over attempted bribery as well....

Neither article, the original; or posted version, mentions charges of attempted bribery (nor mentions if money was seized).

Not that I'm suspicious but - where's the 700,000? Held for safe-keeping?

What 700,000B? Maybe you mean the 700k that was offered as a bribe and refused by the police. The 700k that the police don't have because they wouldn't accept the bribe.

And maybe kept as evidence? Remember they said they would charge him over attempted bribery as well....

Neither article, the original; or posted version, mentions charges of attempted bribery (nor mentions if money was seized).

From the original arrest article - they said they would charge him with bribery as well - so if they had it - it's evidence now. (or was)

"During questioning Mr. Tsirp is alleged to have offered officers 700,000 Baht in cash to secure his release. The alleged bribe was not accepted and it was decided to charge him with attempting to bribe a Royal Thai Police Officer and Visa Overstay."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/765348-wanted-russian-attempts-to-bribe-pattaya-immigration-police/

• Like 1

This is all a bit odd. So, he was arrested because he was wanted by the Russian authorities. The overstay issue then followed.

He offers 700,000 baht to the cops. (It does not say 'in cash' as a previous poster said - at least I can't see it).

So, unless he's wandering about with 700k in his pocket the money is in a bank, hotel room or doesn't exist.

Maybe the fuzz asked for it to be produced but the guy was unable?. Then you can be all saintly and say you have refused a bribe. Dunno honestly. Shows you how sceptical I have become recently.

It was an order, definitly.

Somebody from Russian crime declared to hunt him in Ptt for big money. Nobody can take his money. It was unofficially absolutely. Pls don't think that "Russian mafia" consists from Russians only: here are all ex-Soviet Union nations with different passports US incl. They can speak in Russian only but they are not Russians at all! If somebody can speak English he can be American or English man only? Soviet Union had 250 000 000 people.

So you can wait while new crime will be again by Ptt mafia and Thai police mutually as a special service of the mafia in Pattaya. You can handshake with crime leaders tomorrow for your business reasons: you can know but you cannot say! You know their real names. It's a tragedy that happened. Because there is no law at all. Money only. And it will be again and again. Because everybody keeps the silence...

you are not safe anywhere

incorrect actually, you are very safe in thailand unless your an expat criminal lier a fraudster blackmailer cheat thief extortioninist money launderer boiler room operative real estate conman loan shark standover merchant paediphile murderer or run businesses here that are not kosha and offer services to defraud your country man. the police did a great job in taking down the russian and he was the author of his own demise. the pattaya police are professional courteous and always try to assist tourists and expats alike.

Or unless you are a pretty girl in a bikini.

Seems that when a Brit/Aussie/American [insert other beloved nation] dies in custody in Thailand, there is general outrage combined with contempt for Thailand and/or the Thai authorities ("Thainess", TIT, etc.). When the victim is Russian, however, the matter somehow becomes a source of humour and derision...

• Like 2

'And in other news, police have threatened charges for those who say they use scapegoats...'

It isn't looking good for the police at the moment, is it?

They are now questioning all the Burmese inmates ....

Don't forget the Cambodians